Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Multiverse Crash - IC: Lands Adrift  (Read 1507 times)

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
Multiverse Crash - IC: Lands Adrift
« on: January 21, 2021, 09:21:23 pm »

Lands Adrift

Some say that it's unlucky to disturb a lone cloud. Some say that if you fall, you'll end up at the top of the sky. Some say the Greywood changes when you're not looking. Some say the gods are dead, some say they've left, and some say they're alive, present, and judging your every move.

Welcome to the Lands Adrift, where no island will stay where you left it and the aetherships traverse the skies. Opportunities abound for those willing to pursue them - there's no shortage of frontier, both for colonization and commerce, and new inventions and spells are always ready to be conceived of and constructed. The gods are quiet, but not silent, and their favor can be earned if you know how to ask.
But not all is light and discovery. Monsters and raiders haunt the tradewinds in search of easy prey; fight them or join them, if you dare. For every ruin filled with riches, another is the grave of terrible secrets or the lair of a great danger. Where there is the incentive of gold and power, there are those who will discard all morals and reason in their search.

It is an age of discovery, an age of exploration. And you, shattered one, are in a prime position to take advantage of that. Choose your path and make your fortune; the horizon awaits.

The Multiverse Crash OOC thread is here, by the way. Character creation stuff is over there, for this setting and others. I suggest you make people for multiple settings; you'll be missing out if you don't.

Regarding mechanics, this will go roughly like an RTD, albeit using 2d6 rather than just one. Your character’s skills or weaknesses - from both their race and their profession - can change your rolls by 2, while universal bonuses and maluses do so by 1; the situation can also change how easy or hard the roll is.

Note that I have never GM’d before, so bear with me.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 01:17:15 pm by Glass »
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Multiverse Crash - IC: Lands Adrift
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2021, 12:45:25 am »

Characters

Spoiler: Alice (Egan) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Salem (Stirk) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Wing (Supernerd) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Mysti (Miemie) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Max (Devastator) (click to show/hide)
[More to come, probably!]
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 09:32:08 pm by Glass »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2021, 09:22:42 pm »

Turn 0: The Ceaseless Sky, Stretched Before You

Alice
You've been thinking, recently.
More specifically, you've been staring at your reflection in a second-hand mirror for the past fifteen minutes while laying in your bunk, thinking about your life. Being a prostitute on the Black Star... well, it may be relatively easy, but it hardly pays well, and it's most certainly not safe (not that anything on the Black Star is safe). And it's not fulfilling, either. You want to sail off, see the world! And hell, life on the Black Star may be uncertain, but that works just as much for you as against you. There's always somebody needing crew, though that's usually because somebody's died.
You look away from the mirror, and put your hand in - through - your damaged pocket, clutch your knife strapped to your thigh. Solid, sturdy titanium. People fail you sometimes. Your knife never has.
Checking at the docks or one of the bars would be good ways to start your search for new employment, but maybe there's some less-obvious places to look.

Salem
The alarm bells were ringing. You'd trained for this often; drills for an imminent pirate attack were an omnipresent facet of learning to be a patrolman. But you're actually on one of the ships right now, under the command of Captain Sendirin. Something was happening.
As you approached the top deck, shouts start to filter down.
"-tle stations, swiftly! Three scouts, flying the Rotting Whale!"
You'd heard stories about "Skirmish Lord" Geran, one of the Sky Patrol's most frequent foes, and his Rotting Whale ships. It seemed you'd finally get to take part in one.

Wing
It had been a slow morning at Wing's Things; the sun was already halfway through the sky and there hadn't been any customers through. Not that that was a problem; you were making good progress restoring a young man's heirloom blunderbuss. The runeways are clogged up with decades-old residue from the projectiles; you've carefully removed the trigger and been cleaning out the barrel with a wire.
You hear the door's bells jingle behind you and turn to the front. A... person you can't identify - clad in rather a lot of concealing clothing, is that a trenchcoat for gods' sakes - is clutching a very shiny and very complicated-looking mechanism. And then they unceremoniously dump it on your counter and rush out.
What?

Mysti
You walk away from the Sliver Apple Diner, changed back into your street clothes and with a few more coins in your pockets than you started the day with. You heard some of the customers gossiping about an archeologist who recently came back, empty-handed but talking about a map; might be a good lead, might just be a madman or a fool. And there's always the jobs board, or even just asking around. Or whatever else you care to do; there's no shortage of things to do on Ol' Betsy.

Max
You've been down here for three weeks, hiding away whenever you heard someone get close and stealing scraps when you thought you could get away with it. You don't think anybody found you.
Slowly, you feel a bit of deceleration, before the ship stops with a small jerk. You can catch someone talking up above.
"...and Jeral, you're with me. Dariel, Sandra, you each pick teams as well. Remember to map your courses, and to leave marks as well. Don't want anybody getting lost."
A few more indistinct voices call out what are probably names, and it's not long before you hear the many footsteps above receding into the distance.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2021, 09:32:13 pm »

Well, they're probably going to unload cargo soon, or take on stores, depending on local day or night.

Wait for a quiet moment, and see if I can take a glimpse outside.  What kind of place is this?

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2021, 10:25:52 pm »

Wing stopped for a moment to try to figure out what just happened. The worst case scenario was that the trenchcoat guy was trying to get rid of evidence or something that would be equally problematic. Or maybe the thing was a bomb, though Wing couldn't think of anyone who would have the inclination to deliver such a thing to his workshop in broad daylight.

Wing was not feeling inclined to chase the guy down, but the object wasn't really something that Wing could ignore. He would take the time to look at it for a while to try to figure out its purpose, or at least confirm that it was not a bomb.
You arrive at a mysterious castle filled with people whose statements are always false. Which one do you vote for?

MeimieFan88

• Bay Watcher
  • owoing around~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2021, 11:03:55 pm »

Hmm, it would be interesting to meet this archeologist. Perhaps nothing will come of it, but it's always neat to meet someone new, especially another active adventurer.

Ready my adventuring gear and seek out the archeologist.
Thou art the very love with which I love thee.
Ear teeth

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2021, 06:22:13 am »

Salem brushes the sweat off his forehead with one of his four hands as he rushes into position. The excitement of his first real battle runs through his body, even if he's only going to be a small part of the fight.

Hopefully nothing goes terribly wrong at a bad time. Magic better cooperate today.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2021, 07:27:14 pm »

"...Have a good feeling about today. Let's give fate a chance to help or hurt, eh?"

Go for a walk, snoop around. There's always things happening around here, maybe I'll find what I'm looking for on the streets.
Keep my eyes and ears open. Whatever I find, it's better if I notice it before making my presence known.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2021, 10:37:24 pm »

Turn 1: First Steps Toward Forever
(Yes, I will keep giving these pretentious turn titles. Sue me.)

Alice
( Luck: 8 )
You swear, somebody must have put an enchantment on this place; seems like it's always evening. It's no trouble for you, of course, but it just feel gloomy.
While you're walking past a bar - the Blackwagon Flagon - you hear some drunken shouting. A man and a woman, it seems.
"Oy tohld ya, the cap'n's hahdin sommin!"
"Shaddop, Rolf- Wolp- mate, cappy Golm don' hoid shit. He's an roht bastad, bot ee's en 'oness bassad, yeh?"
"Baddee's defeni- defaneh- depa- rally hodin' sothig, ah knowi! Ey's been aaaaall sheddy en shi..."
"Ah sedda sho shaddup."
"Oiz bettin ee's fand a new girleeee~"
"And Eyzed ye shol shoddep!"
You hear the unmistakable sound of glass shattering, and afterwards the inevitable melody of a bar fight.
You remember the name "Captain Golm", though. The man's known for spending more of his efforts hunting down dead pirates' treasures rather than trying to rob traders; it doesn't win him any love, and he comes back empty-handed as often as not, but his crew doesn't seem to die as much, and they certainly go new places.

Salem
( Ship-to-ship combat, navy v pirates: 9v6 )
As you reach the deck, the skies are blue, save for one rapidly-fraying column of grey stretching diagonally across the sky. You only see two enemy ships, and the cannoneers are reloading. They must have gotten one.
You feel the floor below you shudder, then. You stumble; they must have shot the ship! When you're upright again, you can see that one of the scouts has drawn back and is parallel to the ship, while- where's the other one-
A dozen pirates drop down from above onto the deck.

Wing
( Analysis: 7+3 )
The first thing you note is that the mechanism is essentially gun-shaped, though with far more moving parts than you're used to.
Curious.
The second thing you note is that the item is absolutely covered in runes - the same rune, in fact, over and over again. Specifically, a rune for inducing paranoia in the viewer.
Wonderful.
Thankfully, the magic stores for them seem to be almost wholly depleted; you briefly wonder about the possibility that there's people out there looking for this thing, but you're pretty sure that's your own, justified fears rather than any sort of magical panic. The lack of magic also implies that the discharge was recent, which might explain the odd man who dropped this thing on you.
After setting up a small spell to drain ambient magic - just in case - you set about looking at the mechanisms. Five minutes in, though, you still haven't found any channels for magic that isn't meant to cause paranoia.
Then you prod one of the moving pieces - which you're certain should definitely not move on a normal gun - and a cylinder swings out on one side, with six holes in it. Four of those disgorge additional, smaller cylinders, sliding out at different rates.
What the hell is this thing?

Mysti
It takes a little while, and you have to ask a few questions, but you find the archeologist at the dock, or at least, you're pretty sure you do. More specifically, you spy a Sciro - female, from what you've heard, but it's always difficult to tell with those scorpions - wearing a tan jacket and pith helmet, gesturing wildly with all six arms at anybody who'll come nearby.
"You, you look like an excellent fighter- or you, yes, you look adept at working with mechanisms, always need someone who can do that-!"
It sounds like they're practically advertising, flattering people into joining their crew. Most of the passers-by are ignoring them - probably already with a crew, or otherwise occupied - but there's already a couple of people sitting by them, apparently recruited.

Max
You rustle about a bit below deck - quietly, you hope - and make your way toward a hatch that leads upward. You open it a crack, trying to look out. All you see in that direction is day-blue sky, though; the hinge must be on the island-ward side, you suppose. However, it smells... fresh, perhaps? And maybe a bit dirty, or earthy. It's hard to describe.
You turn, try to get a glimpse around the hatch without moving it too much more. It's hard, though, with such a thin crack; you think you can see some fuzzy greenness. A jungle island, maybe? You know there's some with outposts on them. Maybe they're mahogany traders. But what was that about "mapping courses", though?
It occurs to you that the only sound you've heard nearby in a good ten minutes have been your own. Feeling a bit brazen, you push the hatch up, and turn around. You see-
Oh. Oh no. Ooh, no no no.
Out before you spreads a wall of green, grey, brown, and black. Vines hang down, and you can see boulders strangled by them. Caves extend in every which way, and it hurts to look too deep into them. It feels like your vision is twisting. You see trees and birds on one island, and recognize none of them. Another looks like a bowl overfilled with water. A third - barely more than a rock, really - seems to be home solely to a single lamp-post.
This isn't a jungle island. Those people weren't carrying trading cargo.
This is the Greywood.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2021, 11:01:05 pm »

Wing suspected that the paranoia enchantments were probably intended as a form of theft prevention or something to that extent?

The device was as fascinating as it was disconcerting, but at this point Wing was reasonably sure that the device was not a bomb at the very least. For the time being, Wing would put the device somewhere it wouldn't be seen by customers. He would then turn his attention back to the blunderbuss. He had actual paying customers after all, and Wing was inclined to put them above mystery solving.
You arrive at a mysterious castle filled with people whose statements are always false. Which one do you vote for?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2021, 12:03:23 pm »

"Ugh, great, now I'm three people at once. That's a great way to start the day and not a headache at all."

Time to track down this Golm, then.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2021, 06:43:22 pm »

A dozen pirates. His first real fight, and they're coming at him by the dozen.

Salem draws his weapons. All of them. He attempts to fire two quick shots at the two nearest pirates while slowly backing up to find something to put his back against. Sky scum like them tend to have no problems stabbing a man in the back, and Salem only has one head to go with his four arms. As long as he only has to worry about whats in front of him he's confident he can hold off at least two of them for some time.

That "something" could be another person willing to watch his back. Who else is on deck, and not an angry pirate?
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2021, 12:44:54 am »

Take advantage of the momentary absence to examine their ship.  How large is it?  Could it possibly be operated alone?  How well is it stocked with perishables?  How long could it last?

..and an idea comes to mind.

Are there any rags here, old clothing, needle and thread?  Presumably for the sails if nothing else, right?

MeimieFan88

• Bay Watcher
  • owoing around~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2021, 10:54:36 pm »

Mysti blinks, observing the scene for a bit before heading over.

"Hi!" She greets the Sciro with a smile, curious. "Can I ask what this is about?" She would note the others sitting by, trying to figure out who they are and what's going on.
Thou art the very love with which I love thee.
Ear teeth

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2021, 10:16:08 pm »

Turn 2: On The Edge Of Adventure

Alice
( Searching: 11 )
Finding Golm isn't as hard as one might think. In fact, he's in a different bar, a few doors down. A nicer one, though, the Laughing Flitter. Pictures of the small fish merrymaking adorn the walls. He's nursing an ale, sitting at a corner table with what are probably a few of his higher-ranking crewmembers.
He catches your watching eye. "Ey, whaddaya want? If yer another thug out to get me fer stealin' yer ol' captain's treasures, I'd like to recommend ye don't." He seems calm, and only a little drunk.

Salem
( Combat: 11+3v7+3 )
Oh, there were plenty of other patrolmen on deck with you. But that didn't matter pretty shortly.
Each of your shots made their marks with ease, and two pirates went down. Emboldened, rather than backing up, you dashed into the crowd. One, two, three, four pirates went down to your blades, and a third - seventh blood - took a bullet to the face. This was what you'd trained for! This was heroism, you could feel it in your bones-
And then you heard something thunk into the deck behind you, before the world rushed away to the horizon, leaving only white.
"Those were me crew, ye scarecrow shite! But now, it's just you an' me."
You turn around. Behind you stands a Vri - "Sir" Jeltarthi, one of Geran's lieutenants. He must have been in charge of this operation. He may not have the versatility of an extra pair of arms like you do, but you wouldn't be surprised if he had three times your strength. Those limbs were thick, and not with fat.

Wing
( Repair: 8+2 )
Cleaning out the rest of the blunderbuss' residue is a breeze; you even fix a nick in one of the engraved runes that seems to have been the source of the inefficiencies gunking the whole thing up, and give it all a nice polish.
As you work, you can't help but compare the gun to the strange item you received earlier. Where this had only a single durability rune on the exterior, with all the functional engravings on the interior of the barrel - as any firearm should have - the other item only had engravings on the outside. There wasn't a single functional rune anywhere there should have been, or even on any part of the moving parts that hadn't been exposed to the outside! Those paranoia runes couldn't have been involved in how the item worked, they could only have been to mess with the possessor!
The triggers weren't altogether dissimilar, but where a real gun's trigger should have completed an activating rune, the odd object's one had caused something in the item to click, with no other clear affect. It was all quite unusual.
You finish the blunderbuss' repairs, and set it aside. The young man who hired you for it should be about tomorrow. For now, there's still a few more items to be repaired, though none quite so urgent.

Mysti
"Ah, another inquires! Excellent! Greetings, greetings!" She sounds young, and she's certainly excited. "On a recent expedition to the Brass City" - you've never heard of such a place, though that's not terribly unusual - "I located a map, apparently of a city much like that of Brass! However, no such region of the City matched the layout thereof. I believe that this indicates that there are other such Cities, constructed by the same culture as that which built the Brass City! And I endeavor to find them."
She struck something of a pose, one pair of hands at her hips, the other across her chest, and her top claws extended into the air. Then she deflated a bit.
"I- suppose I forgot to introduce myself. Captain Xalta Seen. You wanna join up?"

Max
( Luck: 6 )
It's a pretty big ship. Maybe... midsized, as your typical ship goes? It might be operable by one person, but that one person most certainly would not be you. You'd need some prodigy of airmanship, probably.
Looking for perishables goes a little better. Mind you, there's no perishables to be found; where there are are all nonperishables. A number of crates are filled or half-filled with cans of food, and there's a few barrels with salt-treated meats in them. Notably, there's almost as many dustless squares and circles on the floor around; evidently, the barrels and crates were removed as they were emptied.
And finally, you get to looking for sewing supplies. Cloth, there is in abundance; you find plenty of rags, many of which appear to have been clothes at some point in their lifetimes. You even find a good amount of thread.
The problem is needles. You can't seem to find a single one. Hmn.
Pages: [1] 2