Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tips on funneling a vampire to a labor point  (Read 765 times)

darthbrumbledore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tips on funneling a vampire to a labor point
« on: January 26, 2021, 02:39:58 pm »

I recently uncovered that my Manager is a vampire. He's been locked away for a couple years, performing manager and broker duties through his door and having hardly any mood penalties, but he has been complaining about not being able to do any sort of craft. He had some stone in his room that had never been cleaned up, so I turned him into a mason pumping out statues for his own pleasure and engraving his own room. And that got me thinking...I have a really large area I'm carving out as my long term base and I could totally lock him in it, level by level, and have him do the smoothing and engraving. I could even build him a small office on the levels so he can still manage work orders.

So, any good tips on funneling him there? Would it be as "simple" as getting him trapped in a cage? I've thought about just a single tunnel from his locked room to the first level, with a system of airlocks in between so my miner has time to get out after opening the wall or floor.

Thoughts?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tips on funneling a vampire to a labor point
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2021, 03:01:11 pm »

You can smash holes in floors with cave-ins to open up a path with nobody in it. I haven't tried, but I think you can do that with a ramp at the lower level so there's a walkable path once the floor is gone. You'd need to smash through the floor with a constructed floor or wall, or it will plug the hole, though.

Another (easier) alternative is to build a door in the exit corridor, (or several) and lock those as soon as the miner that broke through the wall (or floor) has left. To improve your odds further, you could try to task the vampire to be busy with jobs while the miner is working, as I suspect jobs won't be interrupted by a sudden surge of blood lust. This is essentially your suggestion.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2021, 06:58:31 pm »

I would recommend just putting doors along the corridor you intend him to go, then locking any doors and unlocking any doors until you get him where you need him. I do this with weredorfs all the time (while they're not berserk).
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2021, 07:20:59 pm »

If you can put vampires in a squad, station orders will get a dwarf pretty close to where you want them.  They go to a 7x7 area around the target tile.  Having doors locked behind him would still be required once you deactivate the squad to keep him from wandering off.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2021, 02:36:19 am »

Build a lever and set the profile to only accept the relevant dwarf. Then simply order it to be pulled.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?