Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Dyson Sphere Program: Factorio on a Galactic Scale. "Dark Fog" Combat Update  (Read 12429 times)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile

Dyson Sphere Program (Steam Store Page) has you piloting a mecha between planets and solar systems setting up infrastructure and factories in order to complete the construction of a dyson sphere to facilitate the growing power needs of your home civilization. Miners, conveyor belts, drones ferrying materials between planets, and so on.

I leave you with a screenshot from its steam store page:
Spoiler: Woah, Picture (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2024, 04:54:49 am by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's seemingly made by the same developers behind Amazing Cultivation Simulator

Same editor publisher, not same dev. ACS is made by GSQ Games and DSP is made by Youthcat Studio. The editor publisher for both is Gamera Game.

I tried it for a few hours and it's not bad but it felt a bit generic. Maybe it opens up a bit later, I'm still in the beginning stage.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 08:22:47 pm by Sirian »

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Woops. Fixed. Was going off of the Steam developer page but that's what I get for not properly fact checking myself huh.
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What's an 'editor' in this context? The team that handles localization? Or is a third party that actually goes over it and futzes with it (closer to a newspaper or literary editor) a thing with games now?

Edit: Oooh, a translation thing. Sorry!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 03:40:59 pm by Aoi »
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

( Tchey )

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://jeux1d100.net/

What's an 'editor' in this context? The team that handles localization? Or is a third party that actually goes over it and futzes with it (closer to a newspaper or literary editor) a thing with games now?

In my mind, but could be wrong : editors have the money to pay developers and material (office, computers...), manage the communication, the distribution, give some insight about game’s future addition, managing translations contracts and translators and text reviews, etc. They take often a large % of the sales.

While they do that, the developers are the one doing the bricks of the actual game : game ideas and goals, engines, assets, sounds, thousands of lines of code, building the translation options, bug fix and all. They are paid by the editors based on initial contract + % of the sales.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 06:31:34 am by ( Tchey ) »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've played it for a few hours, it's been pretty decent so far. The English translation is... not that great. It's easy enough to understand what they were trying to say, but there's still a lot of mangled sentences(included voiced ones). Which is odd since ACS's translation was pretty good.

Definitely not playing the "optimal" way. Doesn't help that it's hard to judge how fast a mine will produce minerals, and thus how many smelters, etc. it can support. So, yeah, my current game is an absolute mess of randomly placed assemblers - so far I've only managed to automate production of conveyors, wind turbines, and blue and red science blocks. Also, the planet I started is a lot of strips of land and a lot of water, making placement difficult.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile

In my mind, but could be wrong : editors have the money to pay developers and material (office, computers...), manage the communication, the distribution, give some insight about game’s future addition, managing translations contracts and translators and text reviews, etc. They take often a large % of the sales.

While they do that, the developers are the one doing the bricks of the actual game : game ideas and goals, engines, assets, sounds, thousands of lines of code, building the translation options, bug fix and all. They are paid by the editors based on initial contract + % of the sales.
Somewhat OT: I think what you're describing as an editor is what I'm accustomed to being called "publisher", though I grant that title is becoming outmoded in the era of digital distribution storefronts. I wonder if we'll see the industry language shift to calling them "production companies" or something?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Yeah, the "editor" thing is probably some kind of translation or autocorrupt issue on Sirian's part, if I had to guess. When I look at the steam page it says Gamera Games is the publisher, not editor.

E: Almost certainly translation; Sir's profile says france, and french for "publisher" (and editor, it looks like) is apparently Éditeur. So yeah, translation thing going on. GG's the publisher, heh.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 12:18:26 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Destroyer of Threads!
    • View Profile

Having a lot of fun with this game. Never played factorio so I can't compare but geez keeping your production lines efficient really starts to become a chore about halfway through the tech tree.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where people will hold a logical discussion about why dwarves are putting on clothes.
OK, I have to reload the save.
There was a bit of a problem regarding flashfreezing, a ballistae, and a barrel of dwarven ale. Gonna fix it up.

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, the "editor" thing is probably some kind of translation or autocorrupt issue on Sirian's part, if I had to guess. When I look at the steam page it says Gamera Games is the publisher, not editor.

E: Almost certainly translation; Sir's profile says france, and french for "publisher" (and editor, it looks like) is apparently Éditeur. So yeah, translation thing going on. GG's the publisher, heh.

Oops my bad. You're 100% correct.

Also, the planet I started is a lot of strips of land and a lot of water, making placement difficult.

You can put down "foundations" fairly early on, which levels everything to 0 altitude, removing water. I'm just not sure yet if water is used in production lines. It might be, since there are water pumps, but their tooltip seems to indicate that they're for sulphuric acid.

My planet is like that too btw.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 08:35:32 pm by Sirian »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

First attempt was just to get my feet wet. Second attempt, I got a pretty awful starting locations with iron, copper, and coal all far apart from each other and a lot of water between. Third attempt I got a pretty good spread of resources close together, and started a very basic resource bus* at the planet's equator. Right now, it's only three lines of graphite, iron ore, and copper plates. I'm not smelting the iron immediately, since there's two possible outputs for iron ore: plates and magnets.

I recommend at the start to set up automated production of conveyor belt Mk.1s, since you'll need a lot if you're going to use an equatorial conveyor bus.

After that, I suggest automated production of blue science blocks(or "Energy Matrixes" as the game calls them) so that you can research the things you need. Much of the things you can research with blue blocks are some of the basic necessities, like thermal generators and oil pumps. The ratio for both coils and circuit boards to blue science is 1:3, so if you can produce one coil/circuit per second(not hard to do), you can support 6 Matrix Labs(three to produce science, three to research). This will speed up your early research considerably.

Definitely also want to get a decent thermal energy setup going as well. It can initially be automated directly with coal, but once you research graphite, switch to that(for both thermal generators and yourself). Another thing to be aware of is that placing a lot of belts at once will drain your energy significantly, because of your drones. This can particularly be a problem if you're building a belt across water.

Also, the planet I started is a lot of strips of land and a lot of water, making placement difficult.

You can put down "foundations" fairly early on, which levels everything to 0 altitude, removing water. I'm just not sure yet if water is used in production lines. It might be, since there are water pumps, but their tooltip seems to indicate that they're for sulphuric acid.

My planet is like that too btw.

Think the starting planet is explicitly designed this way. At the least, all three starts I've made were. Also, water is apparently used to produce various things(including synthesizing sulphuric acid) in the chemical plant.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Water's used around the yellow science pack matrix part of the game -- need it to make sulfuric acid and the weird organic crystal things. Organic crystal things being used for science production and sulfuric acid just being a general intermediate component some important recipes start using.

Having played more, I'd describe this game a lot like "3d Factorio but more Factorio than Satisfactory". Like it's 3D but it still works via a top-down grid; you can stack some things (I think just research and cargo buildings) but by and large the only thing that'll be changing altitude much is your conveyors. That with other stuff like the material veins and logistics makes it feel very Factorio-esque. Which is not bad.
Translation works, too. It's definitely janky in some areas but overall I've yet to have any trouble parsing anything. Just some mistakes with grammar and syntax here and there. Funny that they voiced the mistakes in the tutorial dialogue, though.

ALSO TIP: I don't know if anyone else missed this, but for the love of god use the shift key when traveling between planets. I spent a good while ferrying materials and whatnot between an outpost and my main planet at the painfully slow 100m/s. As long as you're not changing your course by a huge degree, just pressing W keeps you moving forward and takes negligible energy. But if you want to move at an actual decent pace, shift accelerates your mech at the cost of a lot of energy. You don't have any penalties for crashing into a planet at 1,000 m/s but just don't miss the planet at 1,000 m/s.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just finished setting up automated production for most of the basic things: tesla towers, solar panels, sorters, splitters, assemblers, and smelters. Also have, separate from the main bus, automated production of belts and foundations. I'm not automating miner production since I'm not going to need that many of them; there's only so many deposits on the planet and you can fit only so many miners on each. Smelters take a lot of iron to manufacture, and solar panels take a lot of stone. Early-game conversion of stone to silicon is 10 stone per 2 silicon ore, 2 silicon ore per sheet of silicon, 6 sheets per panel. That's 60 stone per solar panel.

That should set me up for a push into red science. Just need to figure out the correct ratios for oil production and what to do with the byproduct of cracking hydrogen from oil(because electrolyzing water, anyone?).

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Movement is so dang slow.
Haven't gotten off planet yet and just dipping into red science.
4 hours in and I notice there's an upgrade tab. Uh. The game didn't really push this in my face... at all. Where has this been all this time?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 10:27:19 am by BigD145 »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Just automated and set up my interplanetary logistics, pushing towards my first dyson sphere parts once I get the info matrix automated

Current state of my dyson swarm:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 02:06:26 pm by forsaken1111 »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6