Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Dyson Sphere Program: Factorio on a Galactic Scale. "Dark Fog" Combat Update  (Read 12333 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My lanes are nowhere near wide enough for splitters and over under. Put two spaces between sets of three lanes and it all has to be redone. It's that or have every splitter from different lanes be about 30 tiles away from each other. Taking it apart when it doesn't work means your inventory is cluttered with garbage because trying to fit garbage inputs back into the belt is just as nightmarish.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 05:35:44 pm by BigD145 »

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile

Man. The way this game handles interplanetary travel is just something else. Feels like the most seamless travel I've ever really experienced in space-based games. Leaving your planet, moving through your system to another one, and even warping to another system. Since the warp is basically supercruise from Elite Dangerous -- your speed gets boosted a ton but it's not a loading screen or anything. Feels like everything is all one single "level", really.

It's also super cool seeing your stuff going about in the system while you're in space. Seeing solar sails being shot into orbit out of your planet, seeing the sails themselves at a distance and up close, and seeing your logistics vessels scurrying about.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile

Well, this looks neat. I'll have to keep an eye on it!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

I'm just so close to being ready to start building my first Dyson Sphere. Importing the rare ores from other stars can shortcut some components using alternate recipes. Fire ice is particularly helpful in making graphene for carbon nanotubes

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile

I'm just so close to being ready to start building my first Dyson Sphere. Importing the rare ores from other stars can shortcut some components using alternate recipes. Fire ice is particularly helpful in making graphene for carbon nanotubes

How do you mine resources from Gas Giants? Do you just land on the planet and set up shop as usual, or do something from orbit? Haven't gotten around to reaching a gas giant yet, hence the question.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile

How do you mine resources from Gas Giants? Do you just land on the planet and set up shop as usual, or do something from orbit? Haven't gotten around to reaching a gas giant yet, hence the question.
The tech "gas giants exploitation" which comes after interstellar logistics system & interstellar power transmission, lets you build harvesters along the equator of gas giants. Which act like interstellar logistics stations that can't host their own vessels and that gradually fill up their internal stock of the gas giant's resources. Then your other ILSs can send logistics vessels to bring back the materials. You place them by effectively landing on a gas giant (which is more-or-less like a 100% ocean planet that you can't do anything on except place harvesters.
Super useful for both the resources and the fact that they're place-and-forget; once you build and place the harvester you never have to worry about it again.

On another note, this game's technical feats are still impressing me a good amount. The seamless transitions between planets and entire solar systems; how good it looks (especially stuff like the dyson swarm); how you can see stuff happening from pretty much anywhere. When on another planet, you can see solar sails being shot into orbit from another planet. And you can go up to the sails and see each each one as a discrete object. All this by apparently a team of 5 developers.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

Got this, mostly because they did early access right, as opposed to satisfactory. Don't know how much I can sink into this, but I'm impressed by the level of polish, even if the menu ux could use style work.

Too bad they don't seem to have multiplayer on the roadmap, but I don't think I'm gonna regret the purchase either way

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile

Early stages, but can see the Dyson Swarm from the ground:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

so the mech core energy thing is getting on my nerves, I've seen research for both more storage and more efficient production, but I think I missed something, can't I just recharge off the wind turbines?

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

so the mech core energy thing is getting on my nerves, I've seen research for both more storage and more efficient production, but I think I missed something, can't I just recharge off the wind turbines?

You can, there's a building that lets you recharge off the grid when you're in range.

With that said, I personally think you're better off using fuel. Early on, a few stacks of coal/graphite will let you do normal activities for a while, and as you progress you'll get better and better fuels.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

Yeah I've mostly been hoovering up any trees and shrubs and using that for fuel early on. Just queuing up a bunch of harvest commands while I plan my next move or part of the factory is fairly quick and easy.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I kept all my greenery until unlocking yellow science. Then turned it all into green crystal for that just to perk up research a little. I get hydrogen excess stopping my oil cracking so I guess I should turn it into fuel but I haven't. It sucks the big umbrella power pole doesn't seem to recharge you even though it's made from the recharge pole. I'm at the point where it's largely just making bigger numbers and now I want to play something else. I haven't warped yet so I'll do that a couple times. It's a pretty game and saves load super fast.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

My dyson sphere is underway, looking pretty good.

Spoiler: Where I started (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Where I am now (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Plan (click to show/hide)

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A little offtopic: What's with all those amazing chinese games recently? (completely subjective opinions)
Genshin Impact - milion times better Zelda: BOTW (not devaluing early zeldas)
Amazing Cultivation Simulator - better, more interesting Rimworld
DSP (haven't played yet) - does it have what needs to stand against Factorio? I know fighting local fauna is planned, is it going to be as extensible through mods as Pixelated Heroin (Factorio) is?

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile

I want to like this, but I can't get over the fact that even with technology capable of building a Dyson sphere, you can't (well, wouldn't) build one that way - many of those node points are not in valid orbits.

You'd build a Dyson sphere starting first with a ringworld, acting as an equator, then you'd start building poleward from that.

I mean, even if you are capable of harnessing all stellar energy, you probably wouldn't waste energy to maintain construction equipment in paths that would be on the surface of a rigid sphere that aren't actual orbits.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6