Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Needs Manager  (Read 866 times)

dwarfed

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Losing is fun--
    • View Profile
Needs Manager
« on: January 19, 2021, 01:36:32 pm »

I've been in this world for a while...but I can't build a craftdwarves workshop + carpenter workshops because I need a 'manager'

How do I get a manager? I thought I had an expedition leader...but I'm not sure...

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
Re: Needs Manager
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2021, 02:42:35 pm »

I don't remember any workshop requiring a manager before they can be built but, anyway, you should be able to apoint one through the (n)oble menu.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2021, 03:47:28 pm »

You can appoint one through the {n}oble menu, but remember they will need a table and chair assigned for the manager to not get really upset. In my first 7, I tend to make the manager and the bookkeeper the same dorf, then have a pair of clerks doing the two jobs later when the fort grows.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2021, 03:50:10 pm »

Access to the 'P'rofile section of a workshop requires a manager, I think.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2021, 04:44:24 am »

You don't need the manager position filled to make workshops, but, as Bumber pointed out, the profile section of them does. The expedition leader/mayor is required to allow you to fill noble positions, if I recall correctly. Normally the death of the expedition leader causes a new one to be appointed, but not if your civ is truly dead, and then you're in a very tricky situation with no way out (although it might possibly be possible to hobble through for the decades it takes to get the pop up to a situation where a mayor may be elected).

Stadfradt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2021, 09:26:42 am »

Using work orders will save your sanity.
This thread helped me immensely, especially the OP: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158287.0
Here's the wiki: https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Manager#Work_orders

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2021, 10:41:37 pm »

The manager doesn’t handle needs.  You need to take care of those yourself (or use Dwarf Therapist).  The manager handles work orders (I.e. orders for particular items to be produced -possible repeatedly, possibly based on certain criteria- ).  That’s all they do.  They have nothing to do with your dwarves needs.
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2021, 03:46:10 am »

The manager doesn’t handle needs.  You need to take care of those yourself (or use Dwarf Therapist).  The manager handles work orders (I.e. orders for particular items to be produced -possible repeatedly, possibly based on certain criteria- ).  That’s all they do.  They have nothing to do with your dwarves needs.
You've misunderstood the issue. The thread title refers to (apparently) needing a Manager noble to be able to perform certain tasks, not management of dwarven needs.

dwarfed

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Losing is fun--
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2021, 09:46:41 pm »

Thank you everyone for your help!