Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do you deal with loincloth?  (Read 1059 times)

Grimwulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do you deal with loincloth?
« on: January 26, 2021, 08:48:01 am »

Dwarves can't produce loincloth for whatever reason (apparently making a rag that wraps around your dwarf parts is more sophisticated than making a dress). However, first thing they do after fighting off a goblin siege is taking that blood-soaked XXtroll fur loinclothXX out of a dead goblin's body and putting it on. Which results in this:

Even if you have hundreds of masterwork clothing laying around, the dwarves will still get those recurring memories of "after clothes rot off her body" and "due to wearing old clothing", "after wearing tattered clothing" just because unlike that shirt/hood/dress/whatever, they cannot replace worn-out loincloth. Unless you have elven neighbours, you can't import loincloth either - the dwarves will keep wearing looted ones.

What makes it worse, designating all loincloth for dumping via Stocks screen works only if you do it immediately after breaking the siege, before any looting begins. If you forget to do it right away and accidentally let the dwarves put it on, worn loincloth won't be dumped. Driving me crazy really. Having a state-of-the-art textile industry while every single dwarf in the fortress has some kind of old-clothing-related PTSD.

How do you deal with loincloth problem? Also, is there a mod of some sort to make crafting loincloth possible? I honestly can't fathom a reason why wouldn't a dwarf craft loincloth. Apart from, maybe, not wanting to wear one? Then again, apparently they do.

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
Re: How do you deal with loincloth?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2021, 10:28:12 am »

A couple options come to mind:

1) I always set the 'o'rder to forbid non-citizen clothing/items on death, so invader gear is forbidden from the moment it drops. No mass exodus to claim goblin underwear. Then you can dump/smash the clothes as needed.

2) You ought to (as of the current version) be able to make trade requests of humans, who can make loincloths, thongs, and/or braies (all types of undergarment). Order a bunch from them to satisfy your dwarves' cravings. Nevermind, this won't work.

3) Modding dwarves to make loincloths is pretty simple. Find "entity_default.txt" in the raws folder, and add this line under [ENTITY:MOUNTAIN]:
     [PANTS:ITEM_PANTS_LOINCLOTH]
  Note that this will probably require a new world. I'm not sure if you can add this to an existing world's raws (or rather, you can but I don't know if it will do anything)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 12:42:35 pm by Loam »
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

Grimwulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2021, 11:57:05 am »

Derp, I forgot there is no size difference for undergarments. I never even considered ordering loincloth from humans since all their clothing is large.

That solves my problem, thanks a bunch.

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2021, 12:42:11 pm »

Oh, whoops. Actually I forgot about that: there is a size distinction for all clothes, including underwear! So scratch the human trade deal.
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

Grimwulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2021, 01:05:15 pm »

Damn, I was a happy man for about an hour. Oh, well. I'll try that entity_default trick. And if that doesn't work, guess I'll stick with 'o'rders, forbidding/unforbidding goblin panties each time they come.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2021, 03:11:48 pm »

I don't think modifying entity_defaults.txt for an existing world will work because I think such additions won't affect the things it would need to affect to get the items up into the list of items your tailors can make.

It might be possible to hack the places required to make it possible in an existing world, but I don't think there's a ready made script for it if it is.

Thus, apart from gobbo invaders, you've only got elven trade. People have managed to raid neighbors without getting into war, but instead get them to send trade caravans, so if you can do that with multiple elven civs you might get a small rather than pitiful supply. I think there's some kind of script or plugin that causes other races to send trade liaisons, and if you can do that with elves you can probably boost their supply significantly by promising to pay top dwarfbucks for underwear made of each and every material.

Grimwulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2021, 04:02:47 pm »

if you can do that with multiple elven civs you might get a small rather than pitiful supply.

Wait, is it possible to get more than a single elven caravan each year? In any case, I would rather not risk doing any raiding activities unless I absolutely have to, due to the possible equipment corruption bug. It's an old fortress, would be a shame to lose it now. Come to think of it, if I stop fighting goblins and seal the fortress instead, they are supposed to become neutral and might send caravans too. Loaded with loincloth hopefully.

Funny thing, after I posted this thread one of my dwarves made this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

OKAY THEN. I won't accuse the dwarves of being unable to make loincloth ever again, promise!

This thing is ridiculous. The undergarments situation is clearly driving my fortress insane.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2021, 06:56:43 pm »

You can definitely get multiple caravans at the same time.  The trick is to direct the wagons to different depots without them colliding with each other.  If they approach the same depot, only the first one arriving will trade, while the other one stands idle watching until they both leave a month later.

Elven caravans, not bringing wagons, will share a single trade depot just fine.  The game gives you an option to select which one to trade with.