Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: Stress & Psyche 47.05  (Read 24564 times)

Nilsolm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stress & Pysche 47.05
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2021, 06:26:35 pm »

I've been playing a bit the last few days. One fort, a bit over three years in. Some preliminary notes so far:

• Cooked meals really give a mood boost now, even simple lower quality meals. I can't really tell if this has the intended stabilising effect though. The mood boost seems relatively minor, but I'd need to look at the numbers more closely. At any rate, prepared meals seem much more useful now.
  • I've seen at least one new thought: having an intellectual discussion with a friend/acquaintance. I think it might satisfy the need to learn something, but I haven't been paying close enough attention to that.
  • Stress from corpses seems to be in a better spot now at a first glance. We had a bit of a situation involving a weremammoth in the tavern and a subsequent bard purge thanks to a minor loyalty cascade. That left a lot of corpses that needed to be hauled away. About half the fortress now "doesn't really care about anything anymore" and another sizable chunk is "getting used to tragedy" and that's just after one round of major corpse cleaning. No one has seen many corpses prior to this, so it seems this state is reached rather quickly.
  • I couldn't really gauge how much changed about rain and its effect on stress. I have seen one personality change due to rain so far, but no one was regularly running around outside, so I can't really say much more.
  • There might still be some edge cases left. I had a dwarf get sent to jail for a few months for violation of production order because the mayor didn't get her bloody windows. He became really stressed while locked up. Constant "feeling guilty" thoughts. He was the only actually unhappy dwarf in the fort though.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2021, 08:16:22 pm »

The thread title is likely to send me into a tantrum.

... does that count?

edit: Oh I see the old one had the same spelling. Perhaps it is an historic matter I was unaware of.
Lol?  I'm genuinely curious about this.
If you mean you don't understand the point being made, it's that the word is "psyche".

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2021, 09:29:15 pm »

... does that count?

edit: Oh I see the old one had the same spelling. Perhaps it is an historic matter I was unaware of.
If you mean you don't understand the point being made, it's that the word is "psyche".
I swear I know how that word is spelled :-[  I'm honestly surprised nobody called it in the previous thread.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2021, 10:24:33 pm »

... does that count?

Huh?  Isn’t it speled correctly than?
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stress & Psyche 47.05
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2021, 10:41:19 pm »

Look at your own post title. It was wrong before, and still is in this quote thread.

Well, I'm going to fix it in this post to help cover up your shame, Immortal-D. Don't worry, I've got your back.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2021, 01:05:30 am »

Look at your own post title. It was wrong before, and still is in this quote thread.

Well, I'm going to fix it in this post to help cover up your shame, Immortal-D. Don't worry, I've got your back.

*looks at title of own post*

*looks at title your post*

*looks at title of own post*

Is that some fancy new way of spelling “piss”?
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

MC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2021, 10:21:45 am »

2 things, sadly I can't get any more from this fort because of some crash whenever the caravan comes in the fall:

personality changes don't really seem any easier to prevent. It just seems like now they all decide to change their worldview because someone left a plump helmet on the floor and it got stinky once. A single helmet changed 3 of my starting 7, including turning my baron into a nervous wreck.

Do any of the new conversations involve booze in any way, shape, or form? After like, a year of nobody drinking themselves to death I've had it happen more than once per fort since the patch (2/3rds of the time without the help of a tavern keeper, tho the third time the tavern keeper herself committed death by booze before her first season on the job was even over).
This is a terrible mod. All crashmanship is of the highest quality. This object is adorned with hanging rings of notification spam. This object menaces with spikes of llama wool. On the item is an image of a large oval dwarf flesh cabochan in elf bone. The artwork relates to the attack of an unknown creature on an unknown creature in a time before time. It was inevitable.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2021, 02:41:38 pm »

2 things, sadly I can't get any more from this fort because of some crash whenever the caravan comes in the fall:

Assuming that's reproducible then posting a link to the save in this thread http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=177989.0 may well help Toady track down the problem.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2021, 06:05:55 pm »

personality changes don't really seem any easier to prevent. It just seems like now they all decide to change their worldview because someone left a plump helmet on the floor and it got stinky once. A single helmet changed 3 of my starting 7, including turning my baron into a nervous wreck.

Do any of the new conversations involve booze in any way, shape, or form? After like, a year of nobody drinking themselves to death I've had it happen more than once per fort since the patch (2/3rds of the time without the help of a tavern keeper, tho the third time the tavern keeper herself committed death by booze before her first season on the job was even over).
Glad someone else has seen tavern keepers kill themselves. Thought it was only me...

Personality changes aren't meant to be prevented. The issue is if those changes make your dwarves unplayable. Are the personality changes actually causing mass unrecoverable depression spirals?

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2021, 06:10:48 pm »

<3 :-*

Glad someone else has seen tavern keepers kill themselves. Thought it was only me...

Personality changes aren't meant to be prevented. The issue is if those changes make your dwarves unplayable. Are the personality changes actually causing mass unrecoverable depression spirals?
While it's true that personality changes are supposed to be legit, it seems like the frequency remains close to pre-patch, which is to say near constant.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2021, 07:24:02 pm »

And is it a bad thing?
Previously the argument was that personality changes leaned towards bad ones, leaving way more of your dorfs prone to stress and stress-causing personalities, thereby accelerating fortress death-by-depression.

Is this still the case?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2021, 03:33:06 am »

I believe there were two problems with personality changes:
1. Too many fatally harmful ones.
2. Too many personality changes overall (and due to trivial causes that shouldn't lead to changes at all).

The first point harms playability, while the second one turns personality changes into a constant gambling, rather than occasional interesting events.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2021, 03:37:25 am »

I believe there were two problems with personality changes:
1. Too many fatally harmful ones.
2. Too many personality changes overall (and due to trivial causes that shouldn't lead to changes at all).

The first point harms playability, while the second one turns personality changes into a constant gambling, rather than occasional interesting events.
Well, I've had none in two years of running around in the rain and snow so far, so that's good. My barroom brawl survivors also seem unscathed. Had no miasma, drinking of vomit or "decay of a loved one" yet, so we'll see.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2021, 04:47:11 am »

As for my militia commander, she is as of the second autumn getting used to tragedy. Hasn't had any more "emotional shock" breakdowns, but did have an episode with another wording at one point. She's seen combat at one point, fighting and killing a night creature, but that happened in 496 and is not the traumatic event in 495 that the text mentions (that was the time she gelded an animal). But at least she is changing in the right direction, I hope?

To be fair, it says she cracks easily under pressure and I hadn't noticed that until now. I wouldn't have made her my designated hero figure of the fort if I had realised that before.

Love, scriver~

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2021, 08:18:51 am »

I've got to level with you, my experience with humans tells me that's often accurate.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11