Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Modular Tables/Modding Limitations  (Read 7962 times)

chinesecosmo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Modular Tables/Modding Limitations
« on: January 31, 2021, 07:22:42 pm »

Hey, I was wondering if either Meph or May would be able to answer the question on whether or not tables would be able to follow the same tile-breaking rules as some of the larger beasts in the game (dragons/trolls/etc). Specifically, would it be possible for a modder to create some graphics that would allow tables to be taller than 32px, in order for 2 tables to merge into one table? I vaguely recall reading that this was decided against for the vanilla release because it would imply the table is impassable, but is it still possible for someone to adjust post-release?

attached are images to help out the layperson

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Modular Tables/Modding Limitations
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2021, 07:09:07 am »

We decided against furniture that's larger than 32x32 because of how resource intensive it is. Between the furniture type, material, decorations, quality, spatter (blood, water, etc) and an item on top, the one extra tile in each direction for each furniture piece would require a lot of extra work. For example deciding which of the overlapping parts would be printed on top. Lets say you need 6 layers for one furniture piece, and you build a 3x3 table. The center table would require 9*6 layers + the floor and possible mists/flying objects on top.

Short answer: Technically possible by Tarn, but won't be done because it's not worth it atm.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

chinesecosmo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2021, 12:14:20 pm »

Thanks for explaining that.  Sounds like then it wouldn’t be able to be tweaked post-release by modders with too much spare time then.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2021, 12:31:55 pm »

It's possible to do it with TWBT, if it will still be supported for the new version. I did that for my own tileset years ago: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=161047.msg7938185;topicseen#msg7938185

But as I've said, it would clash with the high amount of different styles, materials and decorations. Even if the tables would be merged, they would look pretty odd, because not all parts will have the same sprites. It wouldn't look like 1 table.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

chinesecosmo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2021, 01:34:21 pm »

thanks for the clarification!