Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I don't get how to deal with aquifers  (Read 10158 times)

Zammer990

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I don't get how to deal with aquifers
« on: April 12, 2021, 09:18:22 pm »

I have been an ardent fan or dwarf fortress for many years, but I have not made myself deal with aquifers the whole time. I once did a tunnel through a 2 level aquifer and after dealing with that I just wanted to mod them out (I have modded a few monsters into the game and modified megabeasts/ores into the game for flavour). I've read the guides for dealing with them but they seem very opaque especially because as I understand aquifers have changed lately.

Could someone provide a how-to guide on making them accessible spawn points. As in I either avoid them or mod them out, and I see the fun people are having exploiting them. I have fun ideas with infinite water but everytime I try and exploit them I get bogged down in semantics.

A hard and fast ruleset I (and others <3) can refer back to would be much appreciated, especially in basic terms. If there is a basic link to this stuff already made I'm all up for it :)
If your animals aren't expendable, you could always station a dwarf or two out there?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I don't get how to deal with aquifers
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2021, 09:54:26 pm »

Dig down.
Aquifers were nerfed ages ago.

Water dripping from an aquifer will give your dwarves happy thoughts from waterfalls and mist. Just build a hole for the water to accumulate in at the bottom and cover it with a grate. Make it a fairly wide hole, water will evaporate faster than it accumulates.

Wiki has plans on how you can get through Heavy Aquifers (what regular aquifers used to be) but these make up less than 2% of the map these days, so only really worth doing for a Steam achievement or something in the future.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 10:00:52 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2021, 11:21:48 pm »

I was wanting to try Leonidas’s method detailed here, but none of the pics are available anymore.
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2021, 01:03:39 am »

The wiki has some excellent explanations on the double slot method, a modified version of which I use, but with aquifers mostly "light" or "varied" at the moment, you have zero to worry about. You can do it this way:

Embark on a light or varied aquifer with plenty of wood or stone. If it's a tree-y place, that's easy enough, just cut the wood there. Dig a quick location underground but above the aquifer for your dorfs to live in while the aquifer is being breached. Make a big pile of wood or stone blocks, or clay bricks or glass blocks if that's your jam. Make sure one of your dorfs is good at making walls, another good at smoothing stone, a third good at digging.

Start digging down into the aquifer, a 2x2 up/down staircase should do it. Dig to well below where the aquifer stops (should be after a stone layer or two). Dig a 2x2 hallway towards the edge of the map. If the water starts filling up then you had a heavier than usual aquifer. Dig to the edge of the map and have your engraver smooth the edge, then cut Fortifications in the edge wall to let the water out. You can use that path later when it's drained as a planting area for mushrooms, it's not a waste.

Meanwhile, smooth the stone on the edge of the 2x2 staircase. If it's not rock and can't be smoothed, dig the walls out one and fill them with walls made of the blocks you had premade. You can do this bit by bit, and you don't need to dig out the diagonals: Aquifers only fall from the orthogonal walls.

Once all of your shaft down is smoothed or walled, you're good to go. If there was too much water falling, it went out through the fortifications, and if you went down to a few levels below the aquifer, you won't have the roof raining on your dorfs.

If you do find a REALLY heavy aquifer (rare these days) then you can use the same method, but dig just a 1x1 shaft down first, putting hatch covers under each set of stairs to prevent the water from falling down. Then dig the drain.... then dig the 2x2 stairs shaft afterward, and slowly build the walls around it bit by bit with the water draining out of the drain you just dug. Harder, but still achievable.

It's the simplest way to take out an aquifer, but there are much more enjoyable complex ways to do it using pumps, reverse water feedback loops, and even wind power if you're at the right latitude. Lots of fun!
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2021, 03:24:25 am »

I will say, heavy aquifers are still fairly common when embarking on the sedimentary plains next to a river. Often, the aquifer extends 10+ z levels through the cliffs. Due to the rich mineral variety usually present in this area I find myself forced to return to old techniques.

I think uh you should just mod them out, honestly. DF should not be looked at from a single perspective of difficulty, so if you find something frustrating just go ahead and change it to something you like. I admit, aquifer digging can sometimes be tedious.. however therein lies the danger, since a lack of foresight can lead to drowing and death.

My favorite technique remains the style where you drop a plug of soil into the aquifer, creating a watertight seal, allowing you to sink a staircase of almost any width with ease. The most dangerous part is disconnecting the plug from the surface connection, since I often find my dwarves dodge into the falling soil layer and get crushed.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2021, 03:28:50 am »

As mentioned, there are now light and heavy aquifers. The heavy ones require the usage of one of the "traditional" aquifer breaching methods (there's also a new "chicken run" version, but, regardless, you need specific methods to deal with it).

Your aquifer is heavy (where you dig) if it fills up quickly. If the dorf can be ordered to dig down another level after the "wet stone" cancellation and succeeds in doing that, it's a light aquifer, and if the dorf fails it's a heavy one (or an exceptionally slow dorf...).

Getting through a light aquifer is fairly easy (but it's still possible to screw up: I've done it, and I'm sure others have as well): Dig down to at least two levels below the last aquifer level (the level just below has water raining from the ceiling, which obviously is no good). Once there, dig out some area, with 10*10 tiles being more than enough, for water to flow out into and evaporate.

Initially, my staircase is a single tile wide. Once I've dug out an evaporation area at the bottom I can then expand and seal it. My preference is a 3*3 staircase with a pillar at the center tile, but you can use other shapes (using ramps is a completely different issue, as you get leaks from the ceiling: making a caravan path down requires a fair bit more work, but it's not impossible, even with a heavy aquifer). I expand my staircase from the top down, one level at a time. This means that I dig out the remaining staircases on the current level plus all the tiles directly adjacent to the staircase, except the corners (as mentioned, leakage doesn't happen diagonally), and, in my case, the center tile (or it will leak), and then build walls on all of the tiles dug out (again including the center tile). You'll get an occasional cancellation because of water on the tiles, in which case you have to resume the suspended construction.
  In my case, I let my two miners do all of the work, with them having no tasks beyond digging and construction, and nobody else constructing (the miners are then always close to the construction site and will switch to construction once digging is done, rather than having other dorfs that may be half across the map taking up the construction tasks, but you may want to organize it differently).
  Usually an aquifer extends only through one or two layers of soil. If, however, it extends down into the rock (e.g. into sandstone or conglomerate), you switch the "sealing" method to keep the water out from construction to smoothing, so instead of digging out the adjacent tiles you order them smoothed (make sure to enable stone detailing on dorfs [in my case the miners]) as smoothing seals the rock so it won't leak.

If you dig out the staircase all at once you'll get more water flowing down, although that's usually not a problem if you're not dragging your feet in the digging (deciding you need to dig out something else halfway through is a bad idea: once started you need to get it done). If you try to dig one level at a time and seal it as you go you'll probably find that water slowly accumulates such that you're eventually blocked from continuing digging.

In short: the key to dealing with light aquifers is to dig through it and then dig out space below for the water to evaporate.

It is possible to disable aquifers. The LNP provides an option to do so, but as far as I understand it involves changing the raws to have none of the inorganic materials support aquifers, rather than just change an init file setting.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2021, 05:24:59 am »

If you can find a heavy aquifer, set up a closed-in fort with a roof and a lock-able gate. Once you have secured the safety, farms, and brewery needed for survival, follow the double-slit method until you determine what you are doing and not doing right. It is a worthy puzzle.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2021, 07:34:58 am »

If you can find a heavy aquifer, set up a closed-in fort with a roof and a lock-able gate. Once you have secured the safety, farms, and brewery needed for survival, follow the double-slit method until you determine what you are doing and not doing right. It is a worthy puzzle.
I completely agree. It takes some time and a number of attempts to wrap your head around what the double slit method does and relies on (or at least it did for me), but once that was understood, it was possible to figure out how to recover from screwups (such as removing the sink tile in the second-to-last slit at the end). However, having an unlimited supply of water is rather handy for any obsidianization projects you want to do (e.g. to get more blue stuff). You can still do those things using a slow aquifer, but it is trickier in many cases (ensuring you get the water level up enough to counter evaporation, for instance, or fiddling to get a dwarf washer that doesn't overflow).

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2021, 08:28:46 am »

My favorite technique remains the style where you drop a plug of soil into the aquifer, creating a watertight seal, allowing you to sink a staircase of almost any width with ease. The most dangerous part is disconnecting the plug from the surface connection, since I often find my dwarves dodge into the falling soil layer and get crushed.
Have you tried putting a Support atop the plug, bridging (with floors!) to a handy pillar/support on safe ground, with a lever linked up so that the disconnect can happen after everyone who made the final soil-severing has been recalled back out of the danger-zone?

(Other variations are possible. I remember I did an 'inverted Christmas Tree' once, as a multi-shot device for dropping stone down a possible Spoiler Escape scenario. That could be adapted to a ceiling-held multi-Z plug for more complex aquifer breakthroughs that had sufficiently thick 'dry' layers above... But the aboveground support wastes none of the potential.)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 08:32:53 am by Starver »

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2021, 08:54:17 am »

Leonidas’s method (linked above) was (supposedly) a better variant of the double-slit method.  Unfortunately, none of the images work anymore and the post is useless without them.  :(
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Zammer990

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2021, 09:11:36 am »

I managed the double slit method once, but I forgot that aquifers had been changed to heavy/light.
Thank you all for the help :))
If your animals aren't expendable, you could always station a dwarf or two out there?