Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 390 391 [392]

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2928082 times)

Doorkeeper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #5865 on: April 23, 2024, 01:12:12 pm »

Can the creature graphics in ASCII mode come back in future versions?
and multi-view?

Creature graphics mod support for classic is already there, so is multiple z-level view if that's what you're referring to. Classic version = Steam version w/o official sprites & sound/music; anything you can mod for steam, you should be able to mod on classic. At least that should be the case. If there's a specific graphics set you're waiting for that hasn't been updated yet for the current version, then that's on the graphic creator. Granted graphics modding was expanded for steam version so understandably it's gonna take more time for creators to update their graphics from pre-steam to post-steam.

Any news on the Mac version? 😢

From Feb:
Quote from: Doren I
Hello Toady and thanks for this wonderful game.  I have been wondering if there was any word on a Mac release for the Steam version?
No additional word!  I'm stuck in adventure land with a deadline.  Still need a few computers.  Linux being done theoretically means the hardest part is over, hopefully.

Mac will be back once adv mode is done

upd: mixed up steam = classic
« Last Edit: April 23, 2024, 04:12:50 pm by Doorkeeper »

dikbutdagrate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5866 on: April 23, 2024, 03:38:12 pm »

Maybe this has come up before, it seems like it has to have, but a cursory search couldn't find it.

Will there ever be modding support for implementing things like firedamp? Blackdamp, whitedamp, etc? "Although, the better question is, whether the current mining mechanic is complete or not?

Firedamp is any flammable gas found in coal mines, typically coalbed methane.
    It is particularly found in areas where the coal is bituminous.
    The gas accumulates in pockets in the coal and adjacent strata and when they are penetrated the release can trigger explosions.
    Historically, if such a pocket was highly pressurized, it was termed a "bag of foulness".

Basically, support for letting gas spawn and then linger. Custom gas evaporates very quickly, which is problematic for certain modding endeavors.

Goody towers lean close to something approaching a natural mining hazard, but obviously they are very much their own thing.

I could understand maybe wanting to shrug off adding in better gas simulation support until way off in the far future. Like, I get that.

Been having a craving recently for adding in some neat puzzles, in terms of the game's mining logistics, and figured I'd ask. Apologies if the future of gas and the core mining gameplay wheel has been addressed in a previous post already.

Thanks again for your time Toad.

Edit: grammar, appended second question
« Last Edit: April 23, 2024, 03:58:52 pm by dikbutdagrate »

aSpatula66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5867 on: April 23, 2024, 05:45:23 pm »

Are there any plans to fully overhaul the small scale layered creature sprites in the future, with the new capabilities that came with procedural portraits?  (missing body parts, palletization, etc)

Additionally, I've noticed that NPCs never wear any headwear except for masks and face veils and never wear loincloths or thongs.
This is new since the steam release and I assume it was intentionally added to reduce clutter but it is a bit odd and makes kobolds always have bad thoughts for having no pants.
If this is changed I think kobolds should be given sandals too, to make them not get bad thoughts for having no footwear.

Doren I

• Bay Watcher
  • The crown of Stars really makes the outfit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5868 on: April 23, 2024, 06:46:00 pm »

What cues certain music tracks to play in Fortress mode?  I know the song “Vile Force of Darkness” plays when a siege arrives, but when, for example, does “Death Spiral” get triggered?  Will there be similar cues in adventure?

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5869 on: April 23, 2024, 07:23:55 pm »

Maybe this has come up before, it seems like it has to have, but a cursory search couldn't find it.

Will there ever be modding support for implementing things like firedamp? Blackdamp, whitedamp, etc? "Although, the better question is, whether the current mining mechanic is complete or not?

Firedamp is any flammable gas found in coal mines, typically coalbed methane.
    It is particularly found in areas where the coal is bituminous.
    The gas accumulates in pockets in the coal and adjacent strata and when they are penetrated the release can trigger explosions.
    Historically, if such a pocket was highly pressurized, it was termed a "bag of foulness".

Basically, support for letting gas spawn and then linger. Custom gas evaporates very quickly, which is problematic for certain modding endeavors.

Goody towers lean close to something approaching a natural mining hazard, but obviously they are very much their own thing.

I could understand maybe wanting to shrug off adding in better gas simulation support until way off in the far future. Like, I get that.

Been having a craving recently for adding in some neat puzzles, in terms of the game's mining logistics, and figured I'd ask. Apologies if the future of gas and the core mining gameplay wheel has been addressed in a previous post already.

Thanks again for your time Toad.

Edit: grammar, appended second question

I'd also be curious about this. Mostly because "you have uncovered a bag of foulness" just sounds so DF-y.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

DPh Kraken

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUNS:it:its:itself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5870 on: April 23, 2024, 07:35:08 pm »

What cues certain music tracks to play in Fortress mode?  I know the song “Vile Force of Darkness” plays when a siege arrives, but when, for example, does “Death Spiral” get triggered?  Will there be similar cues in adventure?

There's a few audio tokens that determine when a song plays, assigned in /data/vanilla/vanilla_music/objects/music_standard.txt. I don't know the exact program conditions for "death spiral", but it's triggered when a bunch of your dwarves die.

The adventure music is supposed to be dynamic (and completely hardcoded, as I inquired prior), but I haven't found any data on how it gets played in the raws or in the libgraphics repository. From what I can gather, most of the logic for adventure music isn't properly implemented and only plays music when starting an adventure.
[CHEESE_PLANT] and [CHEESE_GRAPHICS] biggest fan
I make mods! http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=181821.0
Pages: 1 ... 390 391 [392]