Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ancient Egg  (Read 4004 times)

Kromtec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ancient Egg
« on: February 04, 2021, 05:38:33 am »

Hi, I am Kromtec and some of you may know me from working on the utility Legends Viewer for the last five years.  :)

I work as a full-time software developer of business software for over a decade now but in my free time I often work on prototypes for games.
In the past my games never got over the prototype phase because "who would have thought?" making a game is hard and doing it in the spare time even more so.  :D

But this time I chose a relatively small scope for my project, one that I would be able to manage as a solo dev and as a first game...
... and ... looks like I did it!  :D

Let me present you Ancient Egg, a virtual pet game mixed with exploration of a little lovely world.

Ancient Egg is a game where you control a small creature that hatches from an egg. Like in old virtual pet games like Tamagotchi your creature has needs that you can and should fulfill.
The needs raise and sink even when your game is not running and based on what you do in the world your creature will evolve into various adult versions.

The world is in an oldschool pixel art style, has a realtime day-night-cycle and contains various islands, indoor areas, caves, a mine, a desert and more.
You can travel through the world by a sail ship or a hot air balloon and move via point and click.

There are lots of locations to explore, interactable objects that can fulfill your creatures needs, plants that grow in different parts of the world and can be consumed by your creature.
Find other characters in the world and talk to them. Get quests that change the karma of your creature and affect the way it evolves.

Ancient Egg is in open beta testing phase that started today and is currently only available for Android phones via the Google Play Store.

So I would be glad if some of you want to join and try it out.
Join the open beta for Android!

The game is free and will stay free when it releases, except there is one In-App-Purchase that you can buy, a lifetime ticket for the hot air balloon.
But you do not need this ticket to play the game, it opens up various regions of the world for you to explore, but you can fullfill all the needs of the creature without buying it.

Would love to hear feedback from you!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 07:13:19 am by Kromtec »

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
Re: Ancient Egg
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2021, 05:56:05 am »

PC port when? :P This looks interesting.

Kromtec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2021, 09:11:02 am »

PC port when? :P This looks interesting.

Sorry to let you down, but the whole concept is targeted at mobile platforms.  ;)
For now it is only available for Android, but if there is enough interest, I will port it to iOS as well.

Kromtec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2021, 04:40:31 am »

Version 1.0 released on the Google Play Store!
Try it out if you have an Android phone, it is free and has no ads.  ;)

Lawson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2021, 06:29:59 am »

It looks cool. Pixel graphics are still good