Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I want to throw some info out there into the world  (Read 3181 times)

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
I want to throw some info out there into the world
« on: February 05, 2021, 05:16:15 am »

(I've asked this before on a different thread, but I think it's too "big" of a question for said thread)

Yeah. See, I did some databending, and I noticed that what I'm doing hasn't yet been detailed online, at least from what I can tell. My techniques are new, as far as I know. Now, I'm not exactly a scientist, but I do like the idea of documenting my methods so that others may make use of them. I'm not an artist. I don't see myself as having any artistic ability, and all work that resembles it is just a result of a repeatable procedure.

Philosophy aside, where can I write about these new techniques, such that they will be indexed by search engines and turn up in search results? I'm not even saying they're good, they're just new. I don't want publicity, I just want to put them somewhere online for people to see and hopefully make their own work with those techniques. I want to be as anonymous as possible, but I don't think I could pay to host a web server to host a blog on if it's only a few things I want to share.

Also, I suck at actually finding good source material. I don't need direct links to pictures, per se, just a list of keywords that yield interesting pictures. You can give me specific images if you want, but I won't guarantee that I'll actually use them.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
Re: I want to throw some info out there into the world
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2021, 07:04:33 am »

I don't think anonymity is a good thing in this case. I mean even if you don't want to monetize your methods it would still be a proof of your expertise in said field so it might be benefitial in the future if you could refer to it.

As for where to post, my first thought was to look for a relevant web journal/forum/community and write an article for them. If they agree they will pretty much take care of all the SEO mumbo jumbo and by it's nature it will also be easier to reach the intended audience.

PS About being a scientist or not, it doesn't matter if you don't have the credentials. As long as you conduct your work according to the scientific method, you are one. Michael Faraday had no formal education and yet he is among the greatest scientists of all time.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2021, 09:06:32 am »

I don't think anonymity is a good thing in this case. I mean even if you don't want to monetize your methods it would still be a proof of your expertise in said field so it might be benefitial in the future if you could refer to it.

I dunno, I don't see these techniques as particularly marketable. It shows some degree of creative thinking to be able to come up with new and inventive ways to misuse software to create "art", but considering that they're all entirely reproducible processes by design, it's not exactly unique. If you had my exact picture, you could make an exact copy of my end product, no questions about it. I want to detail the process, not the art. The art means nothing to me; I just wanna show the general idea, and let others make art of their own with the ideas in mind. You can't claim ownership of ideas, only the expression of them. If someone "steals" the ideas, so what? At least these ideas are being publicized.

Plus, I don't really have any intention of being any kind of artist anytime soon. I cannot art in any capacity beyond a fixed and consistent procedure. I am an outsider. I just don't really "get" the culture around it. I'd rather stick to what I'm good at, playing funny tricks that produce some form of media that occasionally point vaguely in the direction of art. These are experiments, nothing more, nothing less. Sometimes they bear fruit, but most of the time? They're just duds, honestly.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 09:17:11 am by methylatedspirit »

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2021, 02:28:19 pm »

On the first question I would suggest doing a write-up and posting it in a repository on Github (or one of the sounder alternatives like Gitlab or Bitbucket).  Then link to it now and then - bay12 signatures are a thing... - rather than having to explain it all over again.  Yes you can faux-blog that way.  ;)

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2021, 12:57:58 am »

Am I allowed to promote my writeups on Bay12 under Creative Projects as its own thread? People have posted about their own art-related things over there, so I don't see much problem with the idea. Is there anything I need to be mindful of, though?