Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: VSO OOC  (Read 8609 times)

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
VSO OOC
« on: February 06, 2021, 08:12:01 pm »

Synopsis

Space is endless, but it does have a beginning. These are the stories of the challenges faced by those bold enough to explore it, on their own terms. Together they will discover the trajectory of their own journey. Follow the tales of intrepid spaceships and the crews than man them. In this expanding cosmos stars will die and others will be born, shining their light for all to see across the cosmic canvas in this eternal odyssey. Let's go take a look.

Cast:
◆ a1s (Captain)
◇ MonkeyMarkMario (Enforcer)
Secretdorf (Rookie)
Luckyowl (Doctor)
King Zultan (Engineer)

Special Guest:
Mephansteras (Ex-Pilot)
Starver (AI Pilot)

Beginner: If you'd like to join the crew, please be ready to give it your best effort for the ~6 turns or 1-2 months of gameplay. The game is experimental and a particular mission's playstyle may not be to your liking, but if you drop out before an episode ends it will represent an extra struggle for others in this team game.
★Advanced: Returning Players and former Guest Character actors will be offered roles with greater responsibility before newcomers.
★★New Game+: Complete a season or equivalent to be offered roles with greater responsibility before others and have quirks enabled on standard characters.

Waitlist
- Empty -

Continuation Claus: If this series lies dormant for 6 months, I give my blessing for others to attempt to continue the legacy of the world and its' characters.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2022, 07:25:54 pm by RoseHeart »
Awesome With Autism

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: VSO OOC
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2021, 08:44:51 pm »

Planting my foot here.

(Srsly, also, rotational period is a big problem when setting up a theoretical space-elevator. Not too much, but too little. Find out how far out a selenostationary orbit would be for our Moon, at 27.3 days per rotation. Hint: it's outside the Hill Sphere. Though possibly if you were to send a longer cable to the Earth (split it, at some handy point, semi-anchor it - perhaps round a split-point 'pulley' or balance - to some rotating structures sited at each pole... or construct an equatorialish inverted railtrack that your base-station can go round and be held down by).  This for the benefit of anyone who really wants my 'suggestion' to be ubiquitously true.  Though some places might have them. Ones with better fortune of parameters and a good reason to have one (or several). Mars, frexample. Almost practical. More than Earth, for various cumulative reasons. That's all for now.)

Secretdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2021, 03:37:56 am »

Main ship landing might be the best as everyone will be not that far in case help is needed. Or others want to do something else on the planet

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2021, 04:01:51 am »

I also think landing the main ship is the best way to go about it.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2021, 06:14:19 am »

To be clear, we are really voting on whether or not teleportation is a major form of technology in the galaxy. If no this will mean boarding is harder(need to line up to a hatch, etc.) and similar cascading consequences though-out the experience. (You can see why I wanted to put it to a vote!)
Awesome With Autism

Secretdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2021, 06:50:04 am »

Teleportation sounds great but I think it should be a more difficult to obtain technology.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2021, 11:28:11 am »

Spoiler: I'm rambling on (click to show/hide)

Yeah, not sure that's a useful scrawl. TL;DR; it'll balance out. Voting to have (or potentially have?) a finger-click translocation method will open up some possibilities, both good and bad. Without it you'll have different constraints, ditto. If the game demands a problem to overcome, a (solvable) problem can always be found. Probably not even the one you imagined. ;)

And I'm sure I'll enjoy it any-which-way, so happy to entirely defer.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2021, 07:55:18 pm »

Alright, I am leaning towards having the main ship land for now, but possibly adding teleportation later... because it gives one more room and component to a job as Starver pointed out. Also that's what they do in FTL. Also ton of great StarTrek episodes based on teleportation shenanigans to reference and play with.
Awesome With Autism

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2021, 04:43:14 am »

I'd figure big ships would have teleporters and our little ship wouldn't because we're small and poor.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Secretdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2021, 05:00:48 am »

I'd figure big ships would have teleporters and our little ship wouldn't because we're small and poor.
+1

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2021, 05:03:51 am »

Is Firefly an influence at all? They always had to land their main ship.
(not that I'm against teleportation in the future)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2021, 06:22:44 am »

Absolutely, especially with a small crew size. (As is Cowboy Bebop)
Awesome With Autism

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2021, 05:19:04 pm »

Thread is open, but I'm going to have it be off limits to Violets right now.
Awesome With Autism

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2021, 03:54:31 am »

THAT'S RACIST!

Why can't they post?

Secretdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2021, 04:57:55 am »

THAT'S RACIST!

Why can't they post?
Racial trait :¶
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10