Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Extended Databending  (Read 7356 times)

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
Re: Extended Databending
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2021, 09:13:27 pm »

I suppose that could be "a thing". I like money, but I'm not sure if I want to take money based on an inconsistent release schedule. I know that's what Dwarf Fortress does, but I guess I'm hesitant about the idea. I'd basically be a freelance researcher. It would be nice to have my fans vet what I'm publishing, though. I try my hardest to be factually correct, but I know I have to be wrong somewhere.

"Purchasing my finest works"... what "finest works"? I maintain a policy of reproducibility first; literally anyone with the right software can make near-identical, if not identical copies of my work. I even put my stuff under CC-BY (or MIT for my code) so that anyone can go around distributing copies of my work, so long as you give attribution and generally follow the licence. I still hold the copyright. You can't retroactively revoke CC licenses, however.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2021, 11:11:08 am »

Apparently, there is a market for digital originals: The "First" image.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2021, 05:43:15 am »

Added an addendum to (Ab)using Lossy Audio Compression to Databend Images, Automated image to audio 'bending.

Apparently, there is a market for digital originals: The "First" image.

The "first" image... I guess? It's one of those things where it kinda breaks down when you have perfect replication instructions, no? The idea of an "original" for something that can be so easily replicated (I even gave detailed instructions!) is a bit odd.

Then again, Paulstretch is the one thing that isn't predicable. It produces roughly the same "thing" each time, but it's random where all the colors will end up. Case in point, these two. Same image, two Paulstretch invocations.

The SHA256 sums of the originals are:

Code: (1.raw) [Select]
a9a659adbd91d679bc4055bcb4e517e7229b8ed0282981e02d0ca4199c7540b2
Code: (2.raw) [Select]
2fdbfd2d7fa0e3c7b5ce9e71071a0a4becf664906b0a57591cee97cfc0149181
They're not the same file.

DogsRNice

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Maclunky
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2021, 02:12:46 pm »

How much experimentation has been done with databending audio formats?
Editing audio as a raw image in what’s basically the reverse of normal data ending
or using the wrong audio codec
I had an FB named Ned once.  I kept imagining a giant Ned Flanders...

Want an underground tree with green wood? Check out this tiny mod I made to add one

taat

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't notify people when putting them in the sig
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2021, 07:42:26 pm »

Most audio and image formats are compressed, which means interpreting them as raw data gives just random noise
Hypothesis: I will kill all dwarves in a horrible fashion

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2021, 10:34:49 pm »

Compressed is one thing-- corrupted FFV1 (without error-detection enabled in the encoder settings) can still be reliably "decoded", despite being compressed. But most formats have error-detection. They will not decode at all if the input isn't correctly checksummed or isn't the right data format.

Though, on the wider topic of doing weird things to data, I've been able to concatenate Vorbis files, used FFmpeg to "correct" them, and got some... interesting noises out of them. Maybe I could try concatenating different formats entirely, and see what happens as the decoder tries to decode invalid data.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 10:38:04 pm by methylatedspirit »

DogsRNice

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Maclunky
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2021, 11:08:37 pm »

Most audio and image formats are compressed, which means interpreting them as raw data gives just random noise

There are raw and uncompressed audio and formats (it’s what the raw data importer is designed for after all)
I had an FB named Ned once.  I kept imagining a giant Ned Flanders...

Want an underground tree with green wood? Check out this tiny mod I made to add one

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2021, 09:32:18 pm »

How much experimentation has been done with databending audio formats?
Editing audio as a raw image in what’s basically the reverse of normal data ending
or using the wrong audio codec
There are raw and uncompressed audio and formats (it’s what the raw data importer is designed for after all)

Understood the context after the latter post. I've already done some work on that, under Databending with FFmpeg: Misinterpreting Audio as Video for Fun and Profit. That deals with taking raw audio data, converting it into a video, decoding its raw data, and getting the final result. Images tend to be a bit finicky, and they don't really lend themselves well to automation like videos do. Plus, not many lossy image codecs.
Pages: 1 [2]