Poll

This Is The Way:

Palpatine: Do It!
- 6 (28.6%)
Darth Vader: Nooooooo!
- 15 (71.4%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Proposal: Remove "Let's Plays moved. (2009)", sticky "Gaming Block"  (Read 2884 times)

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Hero Saga Setup: 96%. Other stuff Paused.
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio

People in FG&RP are very economical about how many threads are stickied in the forum game section, as it is always "one less game on the front page".

I believe the purpose of that 25 word post could be folded into the Forum Guidelines sticky, which already has special guidelines for forum games, like honoring game rules.

With that gone, the next most worthy candidate for sticky would be ExKirby's "Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)", which is a casual thread for discussing game design.

^Message I plan to send ToadyOne in 2 days.

The only caviot I can really think of, is that the thread in question references "Roller's Block" which is more specialized and from a subsection of this subforum. Which I just feel is kinda tacky. ExKirby hasn't logged in since 2014 so everything about the setup is also static. But the OP holds up well enough, and a "teaser" for content in the biggests subsection isn't bad, even if the reason it is there is some what anachronistic.

I suppose there's the fact that it hasn't gotten much use in the last year or so, though that is a motivation for doing this.

Unless there is something about it that demands a replacement... then the thread should be considered worthy of sticky for its' utility for promoting elevated game design discussion.

Thoughts?

I have created a replacement thread: Game Design Discussion and Review

ToadyOne received the original proposal. I sent it when I locked the thread. At that time voting had gone from +8 -4 at it's peak to +7 -7 so I left it to them to decide the merits on it's own. Since then there has been a Discord based campaign to "Dogpile on Roseheart" (exact quote) which maybe had little or a lot to do with the rapid change in the polls afterward but I can't be sure. It was even when the message was sent out.

Thanks for those that participated in the voting and discussion on swapping sticky of two topics.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 12:12:39 pm by roseheart »
Awesome With Autism
Currently listening to: Goldeneye Menu

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Re: Proposal: Remove "Let's Plays moved. (2009)", sticky "Gaming Block"
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2021, 09:20:54 pm »

Nobody cares
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2021, 09:34:31 pm »

Nobody cares

You cared enough to reply
it's over

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2021, 09:41:55 pm »

*shrugs*
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Secretdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2021, 09:47:49 pm »

What is "let's plays" use?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2021, 03:16:35 am »

You're destroying our history by getting rid of that thing that hasn't mattered in years!
*shakes fist then goes back to doing grumpy old man stuff*
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2021, 12:28:34 pm »

Nobody cares

You cared enough to reply

No I didn't.

Well, at least 2 people other than you cared enough to reply, and you cared enough to reply to my reply. u mad bro?
it's over

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2021, 12:33:57 pm »

Alright, let's keep it light. I think this is a smart idea, but maybe it's stoopid, and I wanna know one way or the other.
Awesome With Autism

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2021, 01:35:26 pm »

It doesn't effect much, really (judging solely by the fact that the last two posts were both you a year apart and nobody thought it prudent to make a thread in a similar vein), but it also doesn't hurt anything, so I think this is as close to a true "it doesn't matter" as you can get. I can see how removing the stickiness from let's plays moved could have some utility in allowing a whole extra thread on the first page, but replacing it with something that isn't used much at all, and when it is used doesn't actually see anything come from it, seems a little pointless.

One could argue that it'd get more use if it was stickied, to which I say "probably", but I think we should see some recent utilization of it in literally any form before you ask the toad to sticky something you necro'd a year after your own post.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2021, 01:52:52 pm »

Let's split the difference and just un-sticky the "Let's Plays moved".
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2021, 02:59:59 pm »

Let's split the difference and just un-sticky the "Let's Plays moved".
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2021, 03:13:00 pm »

I would be inclined to agree with Man of Paper here. Getting rid of the Let's Plays sticky has some merit, although I'm not sure it's worth bothering Toady about (remember that Toady is not in the business of managing a forum- we're a bunch of weirdos using what should be a forum to discuss DF to play these games in, this isn't the actual purpose of the forum). But replacing it with an unused thread seems especially unnecessary.
Long Live United Forenia!

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2021, 11:25:04 pm »

Ok, at present the poll is at 7 for, 4 against. I am hearing some "just kill the let's plays thread, meh on stick the gaming block thread".

One could argue that it'd get more use if it was stickied, to which I say "probably", but I think we should see some recent utilization of it in literally any form before you ask the toad to sticky something you necro'd a year after your own post.
That's exactly why I support the sticky for it. Even just a couple years ago it was a great forum for discussion and help, reminiscent of the mafia subsection's version, where you could ask for feedback and have it within a couple hours. People just don't see it. It might not help, but if it "probably" will then that definitely seems worth it.

About a day left, if the polling seems close maybe I'll start over with the "kill LP, meh GB" option...

Edit: I think we gotta do both or neither. Just asking him to kill the LP seems nitpicky, but if it's for Gaming Block then it serves a purpose...

But replacing it with an unused thread seems especially unnecessary.
Quick, someone post a game design for review!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 11:52:23 pm by roseheart »
Awesome With Autism

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2021, 12:39:39 am »

I mean, this whole proposal in and of itself is nitpicky. I go back four pages in Gamer's Block and I'm already back to 2018, so in the grand scheme of things we probably don't need it anyways (and the ideas that actually came from any of the posts I went back over can be counted on both hands of a quadruple amputee). You argue that it was a great help "a couple years ago", which isn't really a strong argument at all when it comes to poking Toady when he's got a lot more important shit on his plate than catering to the gum stuck to his shoe that he decided to let remain out of the kindness of his heart. Really, I think your overestimating the importance of a lot of things here - namely the potential utility of a long-dead thread, the importance of this subforum in relation to everything Toady actually should be focusing on (I hear he's working on some important shit with these dwarf things recently), and, from what I've gathered over time, your own standing as some sort of unofficial leader within or ambassador of this community.

If this really bugs you so much, make a new thread with a new title for the same premise. 227 pages of a now-dead thread might be intimidating the few who might use it into not doing so (plus as you said, it references something most of us here don't have on our radar, so that doesn't help the matter), and if that gets good activity, then maybe we should revisit the idea.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4