Poll

This Is The Way:

Palpatine: Do It!
- 6 (28.6%)
Darth Vader: Nooooooo!
- 15 (71.4%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Proposal: Remove "Let's Plays moved. (2009)", sticky "Gaming Block"  (Read 2881 times)

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Proposal: Remove "Let's Plays moved. (2009)", sticky "Gaming Block"
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2021, 11:20:28 am »

For the Ubersecretary Supreme you sure don't fuckin listen, my guy.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2021, 11:28:54 am »

I have been thinking this since I first came here a few years ago and I'm just glad it isn't just me.

Strik3r

• Bay Watcher
  • Persistently work-in-progress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2021, 11:53:31 am »

Like, I'm trying to keep myself from getting too worked up
You aren't doing a very good job. Like, I see where you're coming from, but getting salty ain't going to help persuade Roseheart to drop the idea.

Roseheart, I think you should consider that almost all categories in that 'Feedback' box you posted are opposed to the idea. At best they are ambivalent. Literally nobody has posted in support. I don't know who the folks are voting in favour in the poll, but they don't seem to care enough to actually post in the thread.

Lets not discount the possibility that little roseheart here is playing sockpuppetry either, in order to vote for his own poll as he seems painfully invested in this. Now that would just be utterly pathetic, wouldn't it?

I have been thinking this since I first came here a few years ago and I'm just glad it isn't just me.

I don't even know who this guy is, but reading this thread doesn't give a great first impression. I don't know what it is about people like this, but they just make my blood boil. I think its that they're way too full of themselves.

IMO there is nothing to be gained from stickying Gaming Block, as it is demonstrably dead. At the same time, there is a slim chance that without the "Let's Plays moved." notice there, some idiot might actually post his LP's in this subforum, then it's Toady that'll have to move it. :P
NOTICE: If you can't update your profile/signature, stop using a Imgur URL for your profile picture.
Upload it to somewhere else.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2021, 11:54:18 am »

I probably should have just gone straight to ToadyOne, if I knew asking opinions would drudge up drama.
You asked for opinions, and people disagreed with you. You can call that drama, OR, you could accept that people legitimately think it's a bad idea and not do it at all.
I mean, you're literally saying that you only want responses that agree with you. That isn't democracy, my dude.
Long Live United Forenia!

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2021, 12:15:22 pm »

I can actually sort of understand where you're coming from with the desire to organize general activity in the board - but with that said it doesn't actually make much sense. While NUKE described the board as "functional anarchy", to a large degree it's more of a set of pretty organized subcommunities and games with some other loose threads rattling around. FEF is a very organized subcommunity, Arms Race is a very tightly associated circle of games, the Trespassers game id a part of a larger subcommunity which may or may not be moving more threads onto the board and though I'm not involved with Multiverse Crash it is an organized macrogame of that sort too.

In that light, I don't really see the need to try to support a mostly empty infrastructure that a whole lot of the board, organized under their own terms in smaller rings of games, isn't really going to have need for, especially since Discord provides a very active grounds to do that organizing, which is probably why the Gaming Block is dead in the first place.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2021, 12:25:39 pm »

FEF is a very organized subcommunity,
Hey, you're one of the FEF people, right?
What is that, anyway?

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2021, 12:39:29 pm »

Isn't this the same guy who made the completely pointless bitmap?  And then demanded somebody else make "a flag" for it?

Okay, zoomer.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2021, 12:42:14 pm »

FEF is a very organized subcommunity,
Hey, you're one of the FEF people, right?
What is that, anyway?
Pretty much what it says on the tin, a Fire Emblem tabletop system. It can be pretty slow-paced and it's very rigidly crunchy, so it isn't for most people, but it can provide a very fun framework for setpiece battles/settings and character interaction.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2021, 12:47:40 pm »

I can actually sort of understand where you're coming from with the desire to organize general activity in the board - but with that said it doesn't actually make much sense. While NUKE described the board as "functional anarchy", to a large degree it's more of a set of pretty organized subcommunities and games with some other loose threads rattling around. FEF is a very organized subcommunity, Arms Race is a very tightly associated circle of games, the Trespassers game id a part of a larger subcommunity which may or may not be moving more threads onto the board and though I'm not involved with Multiverse Crash it is an organized macrogame of that sort too.

In that light, I don't really see the need to try to support a mostly empty infrastructure that a whole lot of the board, organized under their own terms in smaller rings of games, isn't really going to have need for, especially since Discord provides a very active grounds to do that organizing, which is probably why the Gaming Block is dead in the first place.

Ayup. Most often when someone wants to talk about putting together a game here, they just take it to some Discord server or other.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2021, 12:53:13 pm »

Pretty much what it says on the tin, a Fire Emblem tabletop system.
Uh. Can... you be more explanatory wrt what that actually means?

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2021, 12:56:18 pm »

Pretty much what it says on the tin, a Fire Emblem tabletop system.
Uh. Can... you be more explanatory wrt what that actually means?
It's a tabletop roleplaying game system with mechanics based on or directly derived from Fire Emblem. Essentially, you have classes that act like the classes from the game, a battlemap akin to the ones in the game divided into tiles, phases that roughly simulate the turn-based gameplay (and the system as far as I am aware, is originally intended for a play-by-post system that lends itself naturally to this) and the like.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Mood: Looking at tall buildings and feeling small
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2021, 12:56:41 pm »

Alight, this has devolved into personal attacks and off-topic convo. Locking thread.
Awesome With Autism
Currently listening to: Goldeneye Menu

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Mood: Looking at tall buildings and feeling small
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2021, 06:50:13 pm »

Replying to all this because it's cathartic for me, and if you don't listen to people you disagree with you stay stoopid. And incase there were any nuggests of truth I went through the effort(I am an extremely slow reader, I do have a reading disabilities that makes me take 4x longer to read, so apologies if some felt ignored, sorry I didn't update your vote King Zultan. Back when I was tracking them.)

Nobody cares

This was my most active proposal. One I made in 2016 got 6 replies in comparison to this thread's 40+ and 14 votes basically in a single morning.

I'm not sure it's worth bothering Toady about
And you're proving a point about what I said re: your views on your position in this community. You took it upon yourself to state to a man who is entirely too busy for this petty minuscule nonsense that you're going to maybe perhaps say something important at a later date, and it's this? And in doing so grant yourself the position of speaker for the entirety of us as if we elected you to represent the subforum's collective thoughts? Puhhhlease.

How? Why? Who should I take my suggestion to before ToadyOne? Explain how I expressed this and what should have happened differently.

I do not sumbit to the overwhelming apathy that we should never dare to ask for a thread to be stickied or unstickied if it serves the community. ToadyOne really is a good sport about it, and this is not a daily consideration, unlike all the moderation for the forums he does.

Roseheart's weird bureaucratic conceits are particularly rich for someone who can't even keep a game running!

99% of my games don't finish it's true. And even though I've hit a good stride as of late I don't carry any bags or weight on my shoulders about it. Life happens, and trying something new has merit and value even if it reveals itself to be overambitious. I do take pride in creating something fresh, and my consistency there is something I am very proud of.

Roseheart, I think you should consider that almost all categories in that 'Feedback' box you posted are opposed to the idea. At best they are ambivalent. Literally nobody has posted in support. I don't know who the folks are voting in favour in the poll, but they don't seem to care enough to actually post in the thread.
As for the argument that stickying Gaming Block would make it more popular... how's that working out for the Forum Game List?

I have to say, I'd almost support NUKE as moderator, almost, because even when he's tearing me down, I end up smiling. However the idea that introverts don't deserve consideration is not something I could get behind.

It would be NICE to have a general moderator to manage stickies and general moderation to---wait for it---give Toady less work.

Lets not discount the possibility that little roseheart here is playing sockpuppetry either, in order to vote for his own poll as he seems painfully invested in this. Now that would just be utterly pathetic, wouldn't it?

Having alts is a serious violation (and accusation) on Bay 12. I have one alt that I haven't touched since 2016, which was before I knew I could ask for a username change.

Isn't this the same guy who made the completely pointless bitmap?  And then demanded somebody else make "a flag" for it?

Okay, zoomer.

Well I'm probably older than you if you're using terminology like 'zoomer'. Yeah! I thought it would be cool to collaberate and still do. You can see the participating artists work in the Forum Game List bitmap.

Ayup. Most often when someone wants to talk about putting together a game here, they just take it to some Discord server or other.

The problem with discords is that Toady can't be sure they can be held accountable to the forum guidlines, so it is helpful to have a safe space for basic functions like this.
Awesome With Autism
Currently listening to: Goldeneye Menu

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2021, 06:58:10 pm »

This guy is so far up his own ass he could look out of his own mouth

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2021, 07:27:41 pm »

While I want to emphasize that I do not think it is useful or justified to make the thread into something that exists only for the purpose of launching personal attacks, I don't think the idea of a central organization space in this manner works because organization is fundamentally performed on either the level of the subcommunity or the GM. The creation of games and the discussion that leads to their creations happens in Discords because Discords are the places where the people making these games hang out with people they're familiar with or are interested in the same forum games with, and it's of course a hell of a lot easier to use a Discord to have a conversation than it is to use a forum thread with a broken search function where you have to go out of your way to navigate the thread and hover around it rather than just being able to have Discord open in another tab waiting for a ping.

There's a reason that active OOC threads have disappeared from this forum for character games and you usually just see a thread mostly devoted to bookkeeping and then an IC thread - it is way more convenient and engaging to use a Discord. The same applies for most of these sorts of general discussion threads on these boards - roleplayers are usually hanging around a few chats with other roleplayers, AR players are hanging around other AR players, and FEF has a solidly organized, large space. If someone wants to organize a game, they typically just shoot off messages in one of these servers and get more feedback quicker than they could with a forum thread. From the perspective of how people actually organize games now on a voluntary basis, there's no reason to try to push for a central moderated space when people usually prefer to use other methods now..

I think where the real hostile reaction comes from though is the idea that there would be some sort of person with power over the whole deal and an active infrastructure that interferes with the way they run their own games - there's nearly nobody who actually needs this sort of setup, and the idea of any moderator, whether it were to be you or NUKE (who I imagine wouldn't want to spend that time and effort for something like this) or somebody else, rankles because they don't have a use for somebody in a position of authority within the board. The idea of central figures moderating is one you've pushed before, and to some degree I think it goes along with the idea of a more centralized infrastructure actively being shifted around. I do NOT personally approve of the way people are behaving, but that's why the pushback is there.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4