Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Posthuman Mercenaries (3/3) - Mission 1: Ausonia Montes  (Read 10112 times)

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
Posthuman Mercenaries (3/3) - Mission 1: Ausonia Montes
« on: February 11, 2021, 01:29:30 am »

The year is 3721. Life has spread out from Earth throughout the stars. Humanity has stepped beyond their natural bodies. People no longer die or are born. Sleeves- bodies controlled by an intelligence that may once have been called a human or an AI- explore the stars, searching for meaning, influence, direction. The pace of technology overall has slowed down to a gentle crawl, now that life is infinitely precious. Conflict still rages on between sleeves, their original intelligence safely stored in databanks throughout the galaxy.

You reside in the Solar System, the original birthplace of life. Occupations no longer matter in a world where decades can pass within a single intersystem trip, but you have made your living in this system as a mercenary.

The three of you entered a data center managed by Luminus, a hypercorp based on the moon of Io, orbiting the gas giant Jupiter. Backups were made for a dangerous, secretive mission.

Disadvantage/Advantage: When you have an advantage in a roll, you roll twice and takes the highest roll. You cannot have more than 1 advantage in a roll, but your Advantage and Disadvantage can cancel out.

Quote from: Character Sheet
Alias:
Personality:
Preferred Sleeve: Humanoid/Nonhumanoid, general appearances. Research has proven that intelligences operate better when slotted into sleeves similar in appearance and body plan to their main sleeve.
Expertise: Choose one from Control, Insight, Influence, Aggression, Preparation, Misdirection. You gain an advantage when making a roll using this attribute.

Players will be randomly selected after this countdown ends. Anyone after this time will be added on a first-come-first-serve if I don't get enough players. The rest gets put on Reserve.

Not sure how long I'll keep this going, but let's go.

Active Characters

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 08:52:14 pm by hops »
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
Re: Zenith 3721 (0/3) - Recruitment/OOC
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2021, 02:59:10 am »

Alias: Nerve Scream

Personality:
Somewhat blunt and antisocial. Enjoys some peace and quiet. Distrusts friendly and polite people. Generally prefers to wait for the right moment before acting decisively. Doesn't really care one way or the other about death and other philosophical concerns.

Preferred Sleeve:
Spheroid central body ringed by 11 main arms tuned for strength more than finesse, with clusters of 4 above and 7 below secondary tendrils which are shorter and thinner, yet dexterous and sensitive.
Around five meters in diameter fully outstretched, massing several times that of a more standard body.
Lower tendrils contain olfactory sensors, while upper ones contain light and radio sensors. Overall vision and hearing capabilities are limited. Implant in the body allow for direct, encrypted radio communication.
Operational time is limited with no way to consume chemical energy, biological components are fueled by an implant which produces glucose using electricity from a battery.
More biological than mechanical, with implants mainly for efficiency and damage control.
Dark purple, scaly hide on the outer arms and body, while the thinner tendrils and some of the lower body have smoother, light greyish purple skin.

Expertise: Aggression
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Horizon

• Bay Watcher
  • hOlY cRaP tHe sUn?
    • View Profile
Re: Zenith 3721 (0/3) - Recruitment/OOC
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2021, 08:13:21 pm »

Alias: Hush

Personality:
Quiet for the most part but when engaging others in conversation his voice and tone are devoid of unnecessary emotional responses, Hush regards others with a business-like attitude and avoids getting physically as well as emotionally attached to those he has interactions with. Hush is selfish and obsessed with personal gain over helping others.

Preferred Sleeves: A male humanoid body with grey skin and pupilless white eyes, but mostly he looks like a normal human being despite his strange skin and eye color. He wears a black business suit with a white shirt, black tie and black dress pants. Although he looks quite unassuming he has an odd internal anatomy, he has no emotional stimulus so he cannot experience emotional pain or react emotionally to things. However he can still feel pleasure and gets energy from seeing others in emotional pain or struggling.

Influence: Control
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 01:11:25 pm by Horizon »
Go and Praise Mitsloe the artist of my avatar!

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
  • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
    • View Profile
Re: Zenith 3721 (2/3) - Recruitment Phase
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2021, 12:44:20 pm »

Alias: Clown

Personality: His behavior is frivolous, Absurd and reckless. He would always joke around and didn’t care much about politeness. His craziness and frightening manner brought fear to others. Beneath all of his crazy personality is a man who wants excitement and finds life boring. Despite all of this, He is a very charismatic person.

Preferred Sleeve: A male person wearing a clown mask. Beneath the mask is a face made up of twisting and wiggling creepy maggots, Some of the maggots combine together to form a mouth and eyes. His body has skin much harder then any human and covered in grayish white scales covered by his black robe. He is rather tall compared to the average human and has no blood, Just a thick black sludge that helps him survive. His brain is very large and has 5 times the calculation power of a average human. His weak spot is his heart which is a very vulnerable body part for this body.

Expertise: Influence

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
Re: Zenith 3721 (3/3) - Mission 1: Ausonia Montes
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2021, 08:15:30 am »

Mission 1: Ausonia Montes

The three of you spent what must have been hours cocooned in the safely of the upload pods, the facility's AI building copies of you from your response to various virtual scenarios as your memory banks are mapped, your hopes and dreams measured to later build a perfect replica of yourself in the near future if your cortical stack was to meet an end. For mercenaries like you, digitizing your consciousness runs the risk of exposing the extensive record of your questionably legal activities, but clinics such as this one run by Luminus banks their reputation on confidentiality, much to the chagrin of the Jovian Authority who would rather bring true death to those it deems disruptive.

After you wake, you are directed to a sterile room overlooking the surface of Io, giving you the view of the rocky barrens and the occasional sightings of sulfur grazers. A humanoid is waiting for you.

"Good, you're all here. I hope you enjoyed our backup program. If your cortical stack transmits us a death signal or you become missing for a year or so, we'll activate your backup. Now... for the mission that my employers have brought you here for..."

They gesture to the floor, which opens up to receive a collection of twenty shiny, lime-shaped capsules.

"We would like you to go to Ausonia Montes, on Mars. In that city you'll find one of our outpost. The job is simple, we want you to plan these explosive charges we have provided on these... spots."

A detailed plan of a building is projected from somewhere, with ten points highlighted. The more architecturally knowledgeable of you three might notice that they are what you'd consider as "structural weakpoints."

"Now, and this is important- after you detonate the charges, you are to transmit this media onto the city's local net. Though... I suppose that if you think you can do better, then we wouldn't mind your own handcrafted terrorist manifesto..." the hologram changes to show a video clip indicting Luminus on its corrupt business practices and the other evils of capitalism.

It looks like, for whatever reasons, Luminus is paying you to attack itself.

"Any questions?"
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2021, 10:56:14 am »

<Any rules of engagement, or is this more of a "what goes, goes" sort of job?>
Lacking any kind of mouth, 'Nerve' speaks through a radio channel. The voice is well-organized and follows the local dialect.
<Wouldn't want to leave you disappointed with more mayhem than you bought just because you didn't mention anything, right?>

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2021, 04:50:49 pm »

“Clown” Smiles beneath his clown mask, Maggots twisting.  “How strong are the security there?” Also, “ Why in the hell are you asking us to ruin your reputation?” “Clown” Laughs, A oddly disturbing sound.

Horizon

• Bay Watcher
  • hOlY cRaP tHe sUn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2021, 03:34:17 pm »

Without a word Hush strides over to the other humanoid while straightening his tie and smiling a smile that only those who are extremely perceptive would seem disingenuous "Well I do say it is mighty fine to work alongside such law-abiding citizens," his debonair accent echos in the room "I will be pleased to see what comes of our continued business..." Hush said with an inaudible cackle.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 03:35:59 pm by Horizon »
Go and Praise Mitsloe the artist of my avatar!

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2021, 08:36:52 pm »

"Aside from the building coming down, we would like you to avoid stack-killing the employees. Stack insurance is expensive. You should avoid killing any sleeves, as well, but there will be some collateral damage anyways."

"As for my employers' motivation, well, that's classified. I hope we can trust your discretion not to look further into it," they give "Clown" a look as if daring him to. Or maybe they're just trying to bait him into a trap.

"I'll beam you the building plan, as well as any updates to the patrols once you get there. It's a research facility, so expect heavy intrusion countermeasures. We have signed a defense contract with the local Peacekeeper, but there's no in-house military that you have to worry about, hopefully."

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2021, 08:45:49 pm »

“Don’t worry, You can definitely trust me!” Clown then bows in such a weird and mocking way, It’s clear you should not trust him with anything. Then he says “Don’t worry, I can deal with the countermeasures, I may not look it, But I’m very good at my job.” “Clown” Says with a bloodthirsty and confident smirk.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2021, 06:03:06 am »

GM Post

"Good. We'll be in touch with you once you reach Mars. But before then, I suppose you'll want to prepare for the mission. You'll find that Loki has an extensive and mostly unregulated market," they smile enigmatically.

Loki is the name of the city that you three are currently in, next to a volcano with the same name. Io is a volcanically active planet, necessitating the use of heat-ablative shieldings on its cities. Even then, many people who reside here have opted to upgrade their sleeves to be resistant to heat damage in the case of technical failures to block out the lava. That, in turn, results in a lot of black market upgrades moving through this moon, the Jovian Authority not daring to crack down too hard on it, lest it draws the ires of the constantly mortally endangered populace.

There's also the matter of how you'll leave Io... the three of you don't have a ship yet, and while Luminus has offered to supply you with one, it doesn't seem like it's giving you the best of the best. More like... it's giving you a pick from the orbital junkyards. Somewhere, floating above your heads, is a mostly-intact derelict waiting for you to select and have them repaired for you.

Vote on a ship build. A ship has its own advantages or disadvantages and its action is either determined by the pilot or by the whole team.

• Talmamisfix Sunlancer: A standard frigate equipped with advanced solar generators, capable of carrying out any mission you need it for. (+Preparation, -Aggression)
  • Kouridian Translocator: An spacious shuttlecraft equipped with an Alcubierre drive, capable of transporting people or cargo between planets at high velocity, given you have the fuel for it. (+Warp, -Aggression, -Preparation)
  • Vectis Warbird: A small warship designed to transport sleeves into battle, equipped with a powerful cloak. (+Misdirection, -Control)
  • Cedia Surveyor: A small shuttle with a small drone bay for scouting. (+Insight, -Misdirection)

(If you don't know what to do in a pit stop, you can just say you're exploring.)

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2021, 10:31:23 am »

Cedia Surveyor.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2021, 11:31:00 am »

Cedia.
I'd like to try procuring a couple things. One, some small drones that I could carry and connect to directly. Two, some kind of implanted weapon, preferably close range and anti-armor.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2021, 08:12:49 pm »

(Hush should pick an expertise, by the way.)

GM Post

The shipyard promises to get the Cedia Surveyor ready as soon as possible.

Nerve goes out exploring the city to look for anywhere that might sell some personal drones and a weapon. The natural location for such a purchase is in the city's bazaar, where they are sold to dubiously licensed individuals without much oversight by the government. At least, if you know where to look. Presumably, the others come with Nerve, unless they have something better to do.

Clown's Influence: 1,2 = 2.

However, despite Clown talking his way to the catalog, it seems like most of the usable drones have been snapped up already.

Funny, you could've sworn you saw a few mint-condition drones being loaded into storage containers behind this merchant, as if he was reserving it for more wealthy clients.

(Opportunity: Burglary or Intimidation, among other things.)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2021, 08:28:48 pm »

<You've lost your opportunity to lie to me on this matter. I look forwards to discovering if you have the guts to tell the truth instead.>

Intimidate.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5