Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is getting into making DF tilesets worth it at this point?  (Read 4583 times)

darthbrumbledore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is getting into making DF tilesets worth it at this point?
« on: February 14, 2021, 09:14:53 pm »

Specifically, I'm asking if it's worth it to the community. I'm just getting into pixel art and think making a tileset would be worth it for my own progress, so I'll probably be working on one anyhow, but more generally, is there a future in DF tilesets with the Steam release coming out? How many of you intend to still play classic DF over Steam?

I want to give back to the DF community, but tilesets aren't the only way to do so.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is getting into making DF tilesets worth it at this point?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2021, 10:18:17 pm »

Tilesets are still going to be a thing after Steam regardless of where anyone downloads their game from.

Especially those of us who play without graphics will be waiting for a tileset creator to make a non-graphical set with all the features Steam update is bringing (like a whole separate worldmap tileset, woot).  Doubt anything official is going to appear.

And the graphics users who are used to certain graphics styles (Spacefox, Gemset, Mephset) are all going to be wanting to use non-official sets.

The main barrier to getting into tileset making right now is that the info on changes being made for Steam release (which is still at least a year away probably) isn't available to the modding community yet (as far as I know).

Well, that and it looks like coming close to the level of complexity the official set will offer is going to be a heck of a lot more work than it is right now.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 10:25:04 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2021, 03:25:20 am »

I think there'll definitely be a demand for graphic tilesets smaller than the Steam one. 64x is too big for me.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2021, 04:35:20 am »

I think there'll definitely be a demand for graphic tilesets smaller than the Steam one. 64x is too big for me.
Oh yes, This for sure.
Nice for the artists that they have massive monitors, not all of us are so lucky...

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2021, 08:53:37 am »

The Steam set is 32, not 64. ;)

You can certainly make a tileset right now and release it, considering how long it will take till the Steam release will happen. You could also try to work towards a tileset that uses the new steam features, but obviously that's harder to do because you can't do any playtesting.

I myself stopped working on the Meph set since I knew about the Steam release and I think that turned out to be a mistake. Could have created a lot of cool stuff with TWBT in the meantime.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

darthbrumbledore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2021, 10:57:13 am »

Thanks for the encouragement all! Are there any compiled resources/tutorials for working with twbt? I have dug around and know how tilesets work and are linked up, and I'm pretty sure I have the same understanding of graphics packs after digging, but I'm still uncertain how to use twbt as a creator vs just as a player.

Similarly, is there a list of all "graphicable" (made that word up!) resources in the game, or is it just experimentation at some point? The wiki has some resources, but I think there's more I'm missing.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 11:03:25 am by darthbrumbledore »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2021, 11:11:43 am »

The TWBT thread itself has some info, or you download sets that use it and look at how they did things. I don't think that there are any compiled resources, but I did write a few tutorials over time. No idea where exactly they ended up by now.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

darthbrumbledore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2021, 11:18:11 am »

Thanks Meph. I'll go as far as I can for now and am sure I'll learn some things along the way that will take me deeper. Cheers!