Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Valheim - Survivaling the norse way!  (Read 7016 times)

nate9090

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Valheim - Survivaling the norse way!
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2021, 10:20:07 pm »

I might be interested. What timezone or region are you guys and the server in? I've just started getting my feet wet in the swamp

The server is located on the east coast, and we are generally playing EST time mostly as well so far.

Edit:

Shooer and I built an inspiration of dwarven engineering: witness our canal bridge!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 05:17:47 am by nate9090 »

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2021, 03:54:27 pm »

Joined some friends and built a house. Then they told me my house was slightly to close to my neighbor, so I had to tear it down and build another one. It was better the second time around anyway.

I hate the music. It reminds me of the most boring parts of Kingdom Hearts.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2021, 11:42:59 pm »

I love survival games but am giving this one a pass.  I'm just so beyond burnt out on Viking worship.  It's been a non-stop constant since Skyrim within the media.

I feel you, but honestly this game gets it more right than Skyrim ever did.

It reminds me of Wurm but actually fun. In particular, the fact you have a bunch of skills you could potentially grind, and the terrain deformation.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2021, 08:31:38 am »

I love survival games but am giving this one a pass.  I'm just so beyond burnt out on Viking worship.  It's been a non-stop constant since Skyrim within the media.

J.R.R. Tolkien would like to know your location

Also I picked up this game recently, are we still playing on the same server?

Also anything I should know before jumping in???
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2021, 10:53:16 am »

If you think Viking Worship in video games started with Skyrim you must be young. It's been a thing for a long time

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2021, 05:24:52 pm »

I'd be interested in joining a group server, but as I'm in an Australian timezone, I'm not sure if I'd end up doing more than wandering through other people's empty bases and playing solo.

Still, I just finished up gathering bronze materials in preparation to finding a swamp. Been playing about five days now, and still need to track down the second boss. I'm also enjoying the system, but I hope they improve the cooking, farming and ranching mini-games. They're extremely bare now, but I hope with a few million $20 purchases it gives them enough stability to put the polish on the game instead of abandoning it to development hell.

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2021, 03:31:59 am »

If you think Viking Worship in video games started with Skyrim you must be young. It's been a thing for a long time

I don't mean just in video games, and Skyrim is just around the same time we were also saturated with Thor in Avengers and the show Vikings....and it's just been constant since then in all forms of media

nate9090

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2021, 05:55:10 am »

J.R.R. Tolkien would like to know your location

Also I picked up this game recently, are we still playing on the same server?

Also anything I should know before jumping in???

Just the stuff I posted earlier.

There hasn't been that many people join so far, just four or five so far with me and shooer being the most active. That hasn't stopped us from continuing though. Would love to have some more people join, was actually thinking of advertising on the game's discord for more people if we didn't see any more people join.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2021, 12:09:54 pm »

Played some further, still haven't went after the second boss, mostly because I'm trying to build up some gear but the bronze is somewhat tedious to get at times, especially when you get ganked by trolls while mining.

After some more playing around with the combat I'm increasingly disliking some of the looseness and jank, it works most of the time but in certain situations you die stupidly trough no fault of your own. Most common causes are getting hit by a troll while trying to dodge roll around it and getting gangbanged by skeletons in a dungeon. The bastards tend to pile up and you can't really burst or block trough three successive hits (more if there's archers), especially if you're still on flint gear. I get that it's supposed to be challenging to get your first cores but it kinda feels like the challenge is due to shoddy systems and not the actual difficulty of the encounters.

Also as much as I love the way you unlock stuff, I really wish there was some sort of compendium or something that tracks stuff you've encountered or are perhaps still missing in some way. Because it took me a while to figure out what I needed to start farming and even then it was completely accidental as I stumbled upon the thing I needed while trying to survive a troll gank.

Still, despite the annoying things, the overall thing has been rather enjoyable, my little fort is growing nicely and I'm close to finishing the palisade and moat around it. It's kinda funny actually, I tend to work on it every several ingame days as I tend to switch between exploring, grinding resources and building up the base, and so far 2 out 3 times I've spent most of the day building and exhausting myself there was a raid as night fell and I had to scramble around and kite a bunch of grey bastards, picking them off one by one, only to get killed by the last remaining one :V
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2021, 12:54:15 pm »

The hammer you get from killing deer helps a lot with skeletons, especially groups of them.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2021, 04:47:58 pm »

Sure, but I got that just now (since the same material for that is used for farming tools), after I've geared up to bronze stuff and no longer really need that hammer. And I'm not sure if I could've gotten the required materials without bronze tools.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2021, 05:26:19 pm »

If you're talking about Stagbreaker, it's pretty easy to get. I have one and I haven't even done the first boss yet.

Urist McSpike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2021, 06:48:24 pm »

I've been taking multi-day trips to load up on copper.  Find copper nodes near the coast, sail the Karve up, build a small shelter with a bed & workbench, and get to mining.  I actually prefer the antler picks to bronze, since you can repair them at a regular workbench.  I've sailed back with about 3 stacks of copper ore, loads of stone, and all the miscellaneous junk from Greydwarf eco-terrorists.

Pro tip:  Cart on a Karve for more storage.  Don't bother with ramps & trying to drag the cart on - build a post next to the boat, run a floor over the boat, build the cart on top, and delete the floor.  Perfect placement with a lot less frustration.
I mean, look at us.  You give us a young child and a puppy, and we produce, possibly, one of the biggest sins against nature the game has ever seen.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2021, 09:16:13 pm »

A note on copper, and other similar large metal veins, it extends underground pretty far. I suggest trying to dig all the way around the horizontal circumference of the node before actually mining the ore itself. You may need to quarry outwards before you can dig down far enough to reach the bottom of the node, due to the way terrain deforming works.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2021, 06:05:39 am »

Yeah, but bronze is a grind that you really only need to do once, barring building multiple base workbenches. I've just beat the second boss, and I'm ready to get upgrading to iron. I've already established a swamp base, along with building a forge and smelter, and I've mapped a half dozen crypts near my base. Should be enough to get me squared away with a full gear upgrade.

With Tier 3 bronze weapons and armor, I've found the swamp is survivable. Just gotta make sure I don't forget to renew my food buffs. Currently running on roasted neck tails, roasted meat, and carrot stew, since I've found just one turnip plant so far and I'm still cycling them through the farms.

I really need to build a teleport nexus to save myself time, but damn if sailing my karve through a storm isn't an awe-inspiring sight. Watching my tiny vessel get tossed by massive waves while the lightning flashes in the sky is a great feeling.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6