Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Valheim - Survivaling the norse way!  (Read 7017 times)

Urist McSpike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Valheim - Survivaling the norse way!
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2021, 09:45:53 am »

A note on copper, and other similar large metal veins, it extends underground pretty far. I suggest trying to dig all the way around the horizontal circumference of the node before actually mining the ore itself. You may need to quarry outwards before you can dig down far enough to reach the bottom of the node, due to the way terrain deforming works.

Yeah, been doing that too.  But man, copper is a drag.  I really hope they do some tweaking to resource issues at some point.  I mean, you can run along the coast for tin - find a node, whack it 4-5 times, and get 3-4 tin.  Easy peasy.  Copper...  mining a huge boulder, breaking two bone picks, and you still get less copper with a whole lot more effort.  Plus the fact that you need 2 copper & 1 tin per bronze makes it even more tedious.
I mean, look at us.  You give us a young child and a puppy, and we produce, possibly, one of the biggest sins against nature the game has ever seen.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2021, 09:08:17 pm »

Just beat the second boss. Barely had enough fire arrows to bring it down. Went in with 90-something, had only 3 left by the end. And I had to use those three because the boss wrecked much of the surrounding forest, which filled my inventory with a bunch of crap I couldn't sort out because I was being chased by a 1-star brute.

For anyone else having trouble finding the second boss altars, burial mounds have a chance to have a runestone that reveals the altar's location on the map. I found it quite a bit further away than I expected it.

Now, on to the swamp; I hope getting iron isn't as much of a grind as copper was.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Urist McSpike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2021, 09:35:31 pm »

I started thinking iron would be grind too.  Island my base was on had a swamp on the other side.  Sailed over, went along the coast, saw one crypt.  Set up a base & cleared it out.  No other crypts...  However, I found a rune pointing to Bonemass, who was on a nearby island.

Went there, cruising the coast...  immediately spotting at least 4 crypts.  Set up a base & portal, start going, and the first shipload back has about 6 stacks of 30 iron.

The bad thing is that just about everything requires lots of iron to craft & upgrade.  Armor is 20 per piece to craft.  Hunters bow takes 20.  Iron weapons likewise take a lot.
I mean, look at us.  You give us a young child and a puppy, and we produce, possibly, one of the biggest sins against nature the game has ever seen.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2021, 09:56:42 pm »

Ironically that is somewhat realistic.  The greatness of Iron was not in its physical properties versus Bronze, as it was actually worse in some ways.  No, its advantage was in its abundance versus Copper and Tin.  Since Iron just isn't as good as Bronze, you would need more of it, but you can make armor and weapons that nobody would dream of making with rare Bronze.

marples

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2021, 05:56:30 am »

So, I found a plains biome... I highly recommend to stay away if you've only got bronze tier gear as you WILL get your shit pushed in. Had to launch a lengthy opertaion just to get my gear back.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2021, 06:34:46 am »

Biggest tip that took me way too long to figure out on my own: avoid falling into the habit of sprinting everywhere. It drains stamina and alerts enemies to your presence. A shot from a good bow against an unalerted enemy will often 1-shot them. A strong enemy attacking you when you have no stamina can easily result in death.

Also, honey has huge hp regen compared to other foods, and should always be one of your 3 foods. Three or four beehives should be enough to keep one viking fed at all times, with virtually no maintenance.

nate9090

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2021, 10:40:26 am »

Biggest tip that took me way too long to figure out on my own: avoid falling into the habit of sprinting everywhere. It drains stamina and alerts enemies to your presence. A shot from a good bow against an unalerted enemy will often 1-shot them. A strong enemy attacking you when you have no stamina can easily result in death.

Also, honey has huge hp regen compared to other foods, and should always be one of your 3 foods. Three or four beehives should be enough to keep one viking fed at all times, with virtually no maintenance.

Although it drains stamina, and alerts enemies, it also earns running exp, which reduces stamina drain while running *and* makes you up to 25% faster. Jumping is up to 40% more jump *velocity* so I recommend running and jumping constantly to get those levels up.

This is where comfort comes in, as each level of comfort is a 10% bonus to exp gains, and you can cap that out at 16 or 17 I think with all the proper furniture items around your bed.

Still looking for some more to join us on the server. We have a pretty big pallisade fort, and now a community tower with kitchen facilities, forge, and stuff. Rebuilt the canal bridge so ships can actually go under it now instead of bumping. Need to work on a harbor area, as the starting island has no iron or silver, and we need to ship it in via ship. A few people went north and started a new main base in a giant bay, while others have been developing several small outposts on the island and connecting them via roads for cart travel.

Currently building a new community 'castle' style with a massive greathall and is going to have walls of chests for each item, each with a sign, etc. The amount of stone it is taking is staggering though, as just the greathall is a 16x8 stone slab base, with 6-8 meter thick walls around it that are hollow for storage, bedrooms, and whatnot.

Really need a shipment or two of iron so we can use iron beams to help support some of the blocks in a few places, though. Most people are still using bronze gear, too, but upgrading from bronze to silver directly might be better resource wise.

We still haven't fought the fourth boss, and I wish we could do that soon. I sailed a ship to his island and started a small outpost but its still far from his spawn.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Anyways, if anyone is still interested in joining, we could use more of any experience level. Even if you want to play off on your own and build your own base, etc. There will be great opportunities to connect up to the main 'civilization' network and work together to get resources, explore, etc.

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2021, 11:51:30 am »

Anyways, if anyone is still interested in joining, we could use more of any experience level. Even if you want to play off on your own and build your own base, etc. There will be great opportunities to connect up to the main 'civilization' network and work together to get resources, explore, etc.

I'm interested, I'm currently playing solo, only bronze tier and I only beat the first boss, due to focusing on building stuff, but I kinda want to play with other people now and see what we can build together.

I sent you a friend invite.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2021, 03:45:16 pm »

I've been playing on Nates server.  I'm the North, well the most north that I know.

Been building Harbor Town.  It's built near a large island to the north, I have found every biome on this one island.  Problem is that the biomes are kind of small though so aren't super rich in metals and dungeons.

I found a string of 3 islands close together near shore.  First island is going to be mostly public.  Got a large mead hall and building out a portal hub.  Will even offer space to build houses, if anyone wants.
I've connected the island with a sunken bridge.  You can just walk on it when the tide isn't high and sail a ship over when the tide isn't low.

Second island is a large rock that I'm building a stone tower on.  Going to use this to store my stuff and crafting benches.

Island 3 is going to be another stone tower, connected to island 2 with a stone warf/pier/bridge.  Both stone towers will be lighthouses in some way.

Then I'm going to circle back to shore and create a man made harbor from island 2.

If sailing up here be warned the islands are part of a sand bar that spans shore to shore, I've marked a area on a map below that is the safest to pass through.  Just stay within the blue lines.  The rest is pretty safe but if the weather gets rough it's really hard to see all the rocks and tiny islands that make up the sand bar.

Can get here via portal in Nates wolf keep or from my tower on spawn island, which is locked up right now.  I'll be putting a portal near spawn soonish.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2021, 08:22:22 am »

Posting to watch, probably to get, possibly to participate, put primarily to complain about representation of my ancestors in video games and other media
Love, scriver~

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2021, 05:51:30 am »

Four million purchases today. That's a lot of money for five guys. Assuming Steam's 30% cut, and sales tax of about 25%, that's still 45% of four million $20 USD downloads. Somewhere about seven million dollars each?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2021, 06:50:34 am »

The studio only gets what's in the publishing agreement and as an unknown studio I doubt coffee stain gave them good terms. They first money goes to paying off any advance given to them initially for production costs. After that they are likely getting a small percentage of each sale, after the cut for steam and the publisher

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2021, 10:49:02 am »

So I got the game and I like it so far. Do areas you already picked clean ever restock on animals or stones, or am I the Easter Islander Human Condition personified?

Negative nitpicks -- Why are doors so short :(

Also "necks" is a travesty :(

edit: Also is there an earlygame way to build a fireplace indoors without turning your house into a smokery?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 11:17:37 am by scriver »
Love, scriver~

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2021, 11:31:18 am »

So I got the game and I like it so far. Do areas you already picked clean ever restock on animals or stones, or am I the Easter Islander Human Condition personified?

Negative nitpicks -- Why are doors so short :(

Also "necks" is a travesty :(

edit: Also is there an earlygame way to build a fireplace indoors without turning your house into a smokery?
I've only just beaten the first boss and done some mining, but I think I can answer your questions.

From the 10+ in-game days I've experienced, stuff respawns. At least, animals appear to respawn and little rocks on the ground do, too. Or else my world would have zero flint and boars in it. I punched a lot of boars.

As far as smoke, you can, well... build a chimney. There's no dedicated chimney structure (at least not early game) but you can quite literally just leave a hole for the smoke to escape from and it'll do exactly as you might expect it to. Smoke inhalation can actually hurt you if it's too smoky, so leaving some kind of opening near the roof is always recommended.

Also yeah, Necks. My brain does a little double-take basically every time I open my inventory. "Neck... tail? A tail for your neck? What now?"

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2021, 11:54:59 am »

What durn dam good is the triangular openings at the end of the longhouses if they don't let the smoke out like they're supposed to xD

But yeah I should probably build a chimney. Chimneys make sense, even if they're a bunch of modern time nonsense.

The thing about the necks by the way is that in Nordic mythology the Näck is a beautiful, tragic kind of supernatural being, luring people to death by drowning through his magical music, always dreaming of being human but never able to be. And in this game it's a lowly mudsipping lizard because... water?

It offends my sensibilities :(
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6