Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: RELEASED!! Dwarf Fortress Tutorial Scenario  (Read 1405 times)

applejuice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
RELEASED!! Dwarf Fortress Tutorial Scenario
« on: February 18, 2021, 05:20:10 pm »

Hello and Welcome,

With this tutorial, I aim to:
* Get you familiar with DF and get an understanding of most of the basic mechanics.
* Make a successful Fort that will last at least 3 years, or until any random day starting with a t: Tuesday, Thursday, Thaturday, Tomorrow, Today.
* Get speaking true nerd and understand what things like: "HFS" and "FUN" and "!!Science!! means.

What this tutorial is NOT:
* Representative of playing any "normal game of Dwarf Fortress!"
This Tutorial contains a LOT of cheese, massive amount of hacks, and a whole bunch of stuff to accommodate playing a bit more chill tutorial.
For starters; only a truly mad person would embark and start building on layer -40 as it would take AGES to reach down there in the first place. Hence; do not expect a "realistic" impression of the game here ;) This is the “baby steps tutorial version” if you will.

Some proofreading and small improvements might be needed, but this should be test worthy by now :)

https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15459  (winzip winrar thingy, cuz lots of maps and such)

This Tutorial contains a savegame file inserted into the LNP pack with a bunch of pre-allocated designations to dig, channel, etc, etc. A bit of a storyline. {I was gonna, but hot dang this tutorial got BIG}. A whole lot of pre-testing and simulation running to ensure getting the same(-ish) results relatively reliably.
For those that already have the LNP pack installed, I will include the seperate save-file as well.

I had to delete one of the mods in the LNP pack, as this was causing problems with windows defender and kept pinging every single time I copied any files and I just got tired of it :')

All constructive feedback is welcome! Please send them to me directly and don't spoil any surprises or such in this topic, we use words things like "Clowns" and "HFS" so don't go spoiling things here either ;)
You can also find me on the Kitfox Dwarf Fortress Discord (Babbette#3044)

I have a few volunteer Mods and Devs that are helping me test this thing out, if you're feeling particularly masochistic and want to be experimented on, ehh, if want to be a valuable contributor to this awesome project; Please let me know and I'll hook you up with the Alpha version :)

In terms of Fortress Defenses; I wanted to make something cool, not too standard, not too mega cheesy, but also not something that even a veteran is scared to be doing either...
Suggestions?!

Thanks for visiting! <3

« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 05:31:15 pm by applejuice »

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Tutorial Scenario
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2021, 07:58:37 pm »

You forgot the tutorial!

applejuice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Tutorial Scenario
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2021, 05:05:11 pm »

You forgot the tutorial!

No I didn't.

Once the first year is done, I will release it on here.

applejuice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RELEASED!! Dwarf Fortress Tutorial Scenario
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2021, 05:31:53 pm »

Released v0.99 now, March 8th 2021.

<3