Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Ships of Brass (SG)  (Read 3825 times)

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ships of Brass (SG)
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2021, 03:50:39 am »

How many crew are necessary to run the ship?

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2021, 12:12:00 pm »

I assume one, yourself.

Would Hoila be on the way to Sarilla? If so, I'd suggest the Sarilla passengers and both lots of cargo to Hoila. That would put us at 6/6 people capacity and 14/20 cargo.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2021, 02:06:47 pm »

I assume one, yourself.

Would Hoila be on the way to Sarilla? If so, I'd suggest the Sarilla passengers and both lots of cargo to Hoila. That would put us at 6/6 people capacity and 14/20 cargo.
+1
it's over

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2021, 04:06:58 pm »

I assume one, yourself.

+1
+1

This is assuming that cargo doesn’t eat into passenger space and vice versa.

Otherwise,
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2021, 06:18:38 pm »

I assume one, yourself.

+1
+1
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2021, 06:46:54 am »

I assume one, yourself.

+1
+1
+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Secretdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2021, 07:07:49 am »

I assume one, yourself.

+1
+1
+1
+1

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2021, 08:39:09 am »

+1ish, not that it matters, as it seems that's the way it'll go.

Spoiler: Nuance (click to show/hide)

Otherwise, consider this a proper PTW, as I try to remember how both Elite (for the BBC Micro) and Space: 1889 (tabletop RPG) worked, just in time to discover the GM here aint following either format and any such 'knowledge' is useless. ;)

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2021, 10:55:32 am »

So is this Steampunk Escape Velocity: the Forum Game?
PTW.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2021, 11:37:50 pm »

PTW.
Technically, the inspiration is Endless Sky, but since Endless Sky is inspired by Escape Velocity, essentially yes.
Note: Get Endless Sky. It's free and good.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Iris

• Bay Watcher
  • A paradox of love and righteous sin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2021, 04:28:56 pm »

PTW.

Yeah, pretty much. Don't expect much but hopefully, I'll manage to make something worth reading eventually.

How many crew are necessary to run the ship?

Only yourself. Other crewmen are helpful but not necessary on a ship of this size.

You take the group of passengers to Sarilla and both the munitions and steam components to Hoilia. After a brief discussion with the group, you learn that they are a collection of friends travelling to Sarilla for its beaches - the planet is dominated by coastlines and islands.

While leaving the port, you grab a map of the local systems and their aether-currents from a stand in the aetherport's observatory, which functions as a sort of public gathering area.

Spoiler: Local Map (click to show/hide)

Your new aethership is rather cramped. It contains several small rooms - a bunkroom, hold, engine room, bridge (really more of a cockpit) and not much else. Much of the interior space is given away to the machinery that keeps it moving through the aether, or furnishes the interior with breathable air. Steam pipes snake overhead and the constant thrum of the engine can be heard throughout the ship. The ship shows signs of wear but it has been refurbished, giving it some glimmer of what it was like new. The group follows you, occupying the bunkroom.

You climb up into the cockpit and bring the ship away from the dock for the first time. The two propellers fire up to life and the steering fin flexes back and forth as the ship majestically moves through the fluid aether. Like all fluids, the aether has currents - and some of them, like the ones running between the stars, are very strong. With a specially-designed sail, one can take advantage of this and zoom through the aether at incredible speeds. After bringing the ship into place, it's a careful ballet (although not without its share of clumsiness; you're still not the best of pilots) to accelerate gradually so as not to be torn apart by the sudden gain of speed.

---

Once in the new system, you receive a signal on the wireless telegraph from a small ship hanging by the star. From what you can tell, it's definitely armed.

"Welcome to our star! It's a nice ship you have there. It would be a shame if anything... happened to it. Of course, that could easily be avoided. Let's just have a little look-see in your cargo, hmm?"
Quote from: AseaHeru (on Discord), Monday, June 20, 2022 10:41 PM
I still want the D. The D is love, the D is life. The D is bully.
Rewind, can't keep going
My mind keeps replaying
That night when we dove in
But now I'm sinking

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2021, 05:54:00 am »

We we think our ship can out run their ship?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2021, 05:27:23 pm »

Shouldn’t we just let them look at our cargo?  What’s the harm in that?
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2021, 05:47:22 pm »

They want to take our cargo, not just look at it.  Can we determine what class of ship is threatening us?

Iris

• Bay Watcher
  • A paradox of love and righteous sin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2021, 10:34:54 pm »

From what little you can see on the scope, they're in an interceptor - a small ship specialized in catching and attacking other small ships. Outrunning them is possible, albeit risky. You would have to get from one side of the star to the other side in order to get to the next current, and then manoeuvre to accelerate properly while entering it. It's very possible that they could get a shot in by that time, and with your current cargo that's definitely something to avoid.

"Well? What'll it be?"
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 10:43:43 pm by Iridium64 »
Quote from: AseaHeru (on Discord), Monday, June 20, 2022 10:41 PM
I still want the D. The D is love, the D is life. The D is bully.
Rewind, can't keep going
My mind keeps replaying
That night when we dove in
But now I'm sinking

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5