Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf in fey mood not moving and FPS drop  (Read 766 times)

hackerexecute

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Dwarf in fey mood not moving and FPS drop
« on: February 21, 2021, 01:14:25 am »

First off, big hello to everyone. I'm a new DF player and am just stoked to be here. Downloaded the game a few months ago but only started playing seriously this past week. I only wish I would have discovered this many many years ago. It's everything I could ever want in a game. Beautiful UI, beautiful graphics, many things to do and keep in mind. This kind of environment is extremely relaxing for me because my main hobby is programming and I'm sure many of you know what that's like (especially Tarn though the mapping of code in his mind must be tenfold.)

Just wanted to confirm with the community if it's normal for the FPS to drop to around 13 after a dwarf gets struck by a fey mood? Additionally, the dwarf in the fey mood hasn't moved and is still up on a stepladder gathering fruit. If this is normal then we're good to go, I have no issue with it. Just wanna know if this is a bug I should report especially since I couldn't find anything on the bug board.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf in fey mood not moving and FPS drop
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2021, 01:36:22 am »

Yeah, I think this one is on the bug tracker somewhere. Very specific to stepladders and strange moods. Cutting down the tree might help.

Although there's a "cutting down the tree to rescue a dorf caused a loyalty cascade" bug out there too...

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2021, 03:53:02 am »

If you're using DFHack (e.g. as part of the Lazy Newb Pack), I'd recommend using the teleport script to teleport the dorf a tile to the side (and then drop down to the ground) to unfreeze the bugger and restore the FPS.

hackerexecute

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2021, 03:39:05 pm »

Yeah, I think this one is on the bug tracker somewhere. Very specific to stepladders and strange moods. Cutting down the tree might help.

Although there's a "cutting down the tree to rescue a dorf caused a loyalty cascade" bug out there too...

Sounds good I might try that out or just wait it out until the dwarf dies, if that's even possible...heh.

If you're using DFHack (e.g. as part of the Lazy Newb Pack), I'd recommend using the teleport script to teleport the dorf a tile to the side (and then drop down to the ground) to unfreeze the bugger and restore the FPS.

That sounds like a pretty cool feature of DFHack thanks for the tip! I won't be able to use it though because I don't use any 3rd party helpers. Just raw DF :)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2021, 06:21:01 pm »

After a while the dorf will go bonkers due to failing the mood and some time after that he'll die. However, I'd either try to build stairs up to beside the dorf or cut the tree down.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2021, 06:23:33 pm »

Sounds good I might try that out or just wait it out until the dwarf dies, if that's even possible...heh.

That sounds like a pretty cool feature of DFHack thanks for the tip! I won't be able to use it though because I don't use any 3rd party helpers. Just raw DF :)

Last few times I tried that, the bugger climbed right back up and got stuck again.
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2021, 06:42:50 pm »

:
Last few times I tried that, the bugger climbed right back up and got stuck again.
Hm, hasn't happened to me (although I don't think I've had a mood in such situations, but definitely a meeting, with the stupid diplomat standing lower on the stair and blocking the path until the mayor was teleported away, at which time the they both went to the office and had their meeting).

I guess that if a picker gets stuck while picking and is teleported away before the picking task is finished he might return to the designated position. In that case you'd probably have to wait until the bugger gets hungry/thirsty, or even parched/starving, at which time the current task should be abandoned.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2021, 08:02:15 pm »

If you deactivate the zone or change the Gather settings to ignore fruit in trees, the dwarf should stop attempting to move to that tile in the tree, and should climb down if there is a way out of the tree. Not sure how the mood might effect this, but it works for non-mooded stuck dwarfs.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2021, 09:03:23 pm »

Another DFHack option is fastdwarf 1 1 for a moment then fastdwarf 0 0.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.