Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20]

Author Topic: Oxygen Not Included: Alpha Release  (Read 44875 times)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Re: Oxygen Not Included: Alpha Release
« Reply #285 on: January 02, 2021, 12:47:11 pm »

Yeah it was fairly early on, don't think I even had much wood around, just coal.

Anyways, second attempt went well until it didn't. This time around I was expanding more aggressively (had a ton of unused space too) but for some reason the nimrods kept spilling everything when they were emptying the latrine, which wouldn't be too bad if the spill somehow didn't slosh it's way trough a bloody airlock, several tiles further and trough my one pumping station and into my major water reservoir. Didn't do much I don't think but food poisoning was somewhat common.
What spelled doom was a geyser next door that I just had to look into, without realizing the dolts have zero sense of self preservation (on that note any way to tell them to piss off in case they find themselves being cooked alive?) so my main tech guy literally fried himself alive because he was too goddamn stupid to stay away from the geyser while it was spewing out steam. I probably could've salvaged the thing but it was slowly starting to spiral due to not great planning.

On to attempt number 3 I guess :V
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: January 02, 2021, 11:16:27 pm »

Anyways, second attempt went well until it didn't. This time around I was expanding more aggressively (had a ton of unused space too) but for some reason the nimrods kept spilling everything when they were emptying the latrine, which wouldn't be too bad if the spill somehow didn't slosh it's way trough a bloody airlock, several tiles further and trough my one pumping station and into my major water reservoir. Didn't do much I don't think but food poisoning was somewhat common.
What spelled doom was a geyser next door that I just had to look into, without realizing the dolts have zero sense of self preservation (on that note any way to tell them to piss off in case they find themselves being cooked alive?) so my main tech guy literally fried himself alive because he was too goddamn stupid to stay away from the geyser while it was spewing out steam. I probably could've salvaged the thing but it was slowly starting to spiral due to not great planning.

On to attempt number 3 I guess :V

If you're producing uncontrolled pH2O from the bathroom, that usually means something's gone wrong somewhere... outhouses only produce solid waste (pDirt), and lavatories shouldn't need dupes moving the pH2O around manually. My guess would be that all your outhouses filled up at the same time (which happens annoyingly often, if you don't act to counter it) and one of them decided to water their shoes instead of emptying one. Food poisoning's actually not that big a deal, and can actually be used to your advantage if you're running a very tight base.

You can click a dupe and manually tell them to go somewhere; that'll force them to drop whatever they're doing (unless it's an uninterruptable action, like a stress malus). Most geysers, vents, and volcanoes will output at temperatures considerably out of the range of comfort, so you should probably avoid cracking them open until you're ready to deal with whatever they've got.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: January 03, 2021, 06:04:48 am »

Yeah I figured they were messing it up, hence the spillage, didn't occur to me that it was them being unable to hold it while cleaning, should probably have several more latrines at the ready, just in case. Always had a problem with building stuff to scale with higher usage.

Manually controlling the individual seems a bit fiddly, tho I'd probably be able to just shut the airlock off while the mess was in progress and then tell them to gtfo just before it erupts. Reason I was thinking about geysers this early was I figured I could solve most of my power worries if I rushed to the geothermal plant and used that. Tho I think it's another problem of my approach wanting to move trough the tech levels/phases of colony development too quickly for whatever reason. Even when it's not really necessary, like in this case, coal could've worked for me just fine for a good long while  considering both my consumption and the amount I had left.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: January 03, 2021, 08:13:28 am »

I've finished boxing up my starter base, got atmo suits for my dupes prepped, a ghetto chlorine pit for my meals along with an automated drowner for food production and some stone hatch ranches. I've been dumping all my toilet water, refinery water, and kiln heat into the ice biomes below my base, and I now have a few metric fucktons of mixed fluids down there, all filled with food poisoning germs.

I've made some chlorine tanks for decontaminating it all, and I'm gonna run a couple of pumps down the bottom to sort, purify, and drain it back up above my base. I've already done close to 500 tonnes of the polluted water as a test run, and I'd estimate I have at least that much more mixed liquids to go, without even counting the ice biomes I haven't yet opened. I'm taking it slow to avoid wasting the cooling of the biomes I'm melting through, but I wanna get to the oil biome and start setting up my petroleum industry soon. I've got enough coal to run generators for hundreds of cycles, but I really want the oil for building better fluid airlocks and other shenanigans.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: January 19, 2021, 09:53:26 pm »

Ugh I finally found a source of clean water on my map. Cycle 45, 108 tiles below the printer, finally found a cool steam vent.

I had stumbled on a saltwater geyser previously, but it is in a biome I think which has a volcano in it because instead of the usual temperate tide pool temperatures, it's full of steam at 115 C.  I'm not anywhere near atmo suits yet - no dreckos anywhere and I have found only a few thimble reeds, but not anywhere near warm enough to grow them yet.

Rime, with Metal Rich, Glaciers, and Volcanoes.

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
  • likes skeletons for their afros
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: March 31, 2021, 12:29:33 pm »

Ugh I finally found a source of clean water on my map. Cycle 45, 108 tiles below the printer, finally found a cool steam vent.

I had stumbled on a saltwater geyser previously, but it is in a biome I think which has a volcano in it because instead of the usual temperate tide pool temperatures, it's full of steam at 115 C.  I'm not anywhere near atmo suits yet - no dreckos anywhere and I have found only a few thimble reeds, but not anywhere near warm enough to grow them yet.

Rime, with Metal Rich, Glaciers, and Volcanoes.
Consider learning how to corner build to push a wall into a place like this. Essentially your dupes can build through a wall if it is situated like this:
Code: [Select]
X = walled off area, like a hot zone
W = the wall that's walling it off
D = dupe needs to occupy these tiles to build
T = places in the walled off area where new wall tiles can be constructed from the other side
A = breathable nice air for the dupe
XXTWAA
XXWDAA
XXWDAA
XXTWAA
This way you can slowly inch into dangerous biomes without harming your unprotected dupes.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20]