Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: I've been unable to update my forum profile  (Read 3777 times)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I've been unable to update my forum profile
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2021, 11:03:08 pm »

Just tested and it was successful in Waterfox (Firefox fork).

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2021, 11:26:54 pm »

I could ... go even MORE browser-indie? *__*
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2021, 12:31:06 am »

I mean, if you really wanna go full open-source, libre, free (and other phrases that make the FSF squee), there's GNU Icecat. It's a fork of Firefox with all the proprietary components removed. It comes with an addon that stops proprietary Javascript from running, so you can be safe in the knowledge that you're running only free software, presumably on top of your install of Arch Hurd.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2021, 08:28:33 am »

So, for the past few days I've been unable to change my profile information on the forum, Personal Text, Signature, Avatar etc. When I click the button to update that information, my browser just spends a bunch of time loading before hitting a blank page. This has happened to me a few times before, but lately it's been happening every single time I try, which is pretty annoying since it means I can't change any of that stuff from what it is now.

So, I've been wondering if this effects anybody else.

I'm sorry Egan. This is your final form.

I mean, if you really wanna go full open-source, libre, free (and other phrases that make the FSF squee), there's GNU Icecat. It's a fork of Firefox with all the proprietary components removed. It comes with an addon that stops proprietary Javascript from running, so you can be safe in the knowledge that you're running only free software, presumably on top of your install of Arch Hurd.

Going Linux is going hipster though. You have to stay with the cool, non-pretentious indie kids.
Love, scriver~

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2021, 11:37:03 am »

*mentally bookmarks*

I use Mint, LOL. I switched after I got mad that Windows was trying to advertise shit to me from the OS. Now most hardware doesn't work but I haven't thought about viruses in about 4 years.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2021, 05:08:39 pm »

Going Linux is going hipster though. You have to stay with the cool, non-pretentious indie kids.
Except Icecat on Hurd would not be Linux.

*mentally bookmarks*

I use Mint, LOL. I switched after I got mad that Windows was trying to advertise shit to me from the OS. Now most hardware doesn't work but I haven't thought about viruses in about 4 years.
Hardware support in Mint is amazing compared to Hurd.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2021, 05:13:32 pm »

mmm... yeah, nevermind ... LOL

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2021, 06:41:18 pm »

What is the cool kids' browser, then? Vivaldi? It's very customizable, and I thought that it did a lot of neat things. Personally, though, I just couldn't get into it. Every feature that was missing from it just reminded me of Firefox, and I think the last straw was when it was announced that extensions will no longer run in Private/Incognito/whatever tabs. That's a problem with Chromium itself (which Vivaldi is based on), but still. Also, proprietary, so if that matters to you, don't.

I'm not a cool kid, not by that measure.

Hardware support in Mint is amazing compared to Hurd.

I'm downloading Debian Hurd right now. Will update with my results. Wish me luck!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2021, 06:47:09 pm »

What is the cool kids' browser, then? Vivaldi? It's very customizable, and I thought that it did a lot of neat things. Personally, though, I just couldn't get into it. Every feature that was missing from it just reminded me of Firefox, and I think the last straw was when it was announced that extensions will no longer run in Private/Incognito/whatever tabs. That's a problem with Chromium itself (which Vivaldi is based on), but still. Also, proprietary, so if that matters to you, don't.

I'm not a cool kid, not by that measure.

I can't say, if I did I would become a hipster D:
Love, scriver~

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2021, 06:50:48 pm »

I'm downloading Debian Hurd right now. Will update with my results. Wish me luck!
Maybe start a new thread as we've gotten quite off topic here.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2021, 09:09:58 pm »

So you're saying it's okay to necro this thread until egan gets a new sig?

*Chuckles. I'm doing an activism*
let

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2021, 09:12:20 pm »

Do as thou wilt. If I really wanted you to not post offtopic in here, I could lock it, but it's not as if I care.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2021, 07:09:37 am »

I've now tried (and succeeded; and then reverted and succeeded) to change profile info on a couple of browsers, was going to wait until I had easy access to do it with more, but I don't see any problem yet.

When you say "my browser just spends a bunch of time loading before hitting a blank page" is this with the URI of http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=forumprofile;updated (that isn't loading anything) or is it some kind of "about:blank"ish address (which may be why it isn't loading anything)?

Have you any script-stoppers/etc? I don't think they'd be the cause, given the very basic form-submission nature of what you re trying to do, but potentially something[1] jumped in there.

Malware? Probably not (it would tend to scrape authentication, to use for its own purpose, not obviously block it), but a scan is never a bad thing.

Funny characters. Remove all emojii, if you have any. I don t think this post will even accept the character "" (edit: Oh, it did!)((edit2: It vanished after my first edit, though. Interesting!)), if it's set up like I think it is (so it wasn't, at least for posts), and this might extend to these fields too. Try just the word "Test".

...enough to get going? But I'm scraping the obvious barrel-bottom, already, without more datapoints of my own to throw up various unconsidered barrels.

[1] I mean, some antiPhishing protection was given your bank account number to watch out for, you somehow are giving your bank account number as part of your .sig(!) and the antiPhisher is silently blocking submission for your own good!  ..yeah, probably not, but it could be almost as weird.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 07:14:20 am by Starver »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2021, 08:40:36 pm »

Well well, it would seem that I can get it to work if I just don't put an avatar image. As a side effect of this discovery I no longer have an avatar and have no way to get it back for the moment.

And yes, I am aware that this forum doesn't play well with https in the url for avatars, it's not that.

Edit: tried changing it to an image not hosted on imgur and that seemed to work. Dammit imgur, is this all your doing?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 08:44:43 pm by Egan_BW »
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2021, 09:09:55 pm »

Are you trying to use an URL with HTTPS? Try it without the 'S'. Ran into that a while ago.
Pages: 1 [2] 3