Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Long time player first time poster (Fort Video: No audio)  (Read 879 times)

somoking

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Long time player first time poster (Fort Video: No audio)
« on: February 21, 2021, 08:14:06 pm »

I have been playing DF on and off since I was pretty young but never any good at it. Recently went back and made the "Feral Rim" a fortress on a volcano overlooking a goblin fort . Despite the danger we were eventually made the Center of our civ when the king visited. (Video is after retiring for 4 years and reclaiming). One thing to note is the lava "pipes" which prevent evil creatures from entering the fort by creating a wall over the entrance once the forge is filled with lava. Accidents happen and now we have a lava covered metal country side. Ohh and not sure if i showed this in the vid but 1/4 of these dwarfs worship a god of death and 1/3 a god of torture  :'( so goth

Feral Rim
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDY2gNhJS7M

A fort on a partial light aquifer turned baby killing death trap. I had two high concepts for this fort. 1: Every dwarf lives near there workstation. (So far not working that well but i still feel it adds a lot of charm and improves efficiency) 2: good use of Z elevation and channels to create apartment like corridors. I have a ~10 z level canyon which is home to our main tavern, stone workers. gem workers, and room for quite a few other things. Nobles on the top levels for reasons to become clear soon. The massive channel is made near a light aquifer which constantly drops water to the bottom. Good news lots of mist, bad news very slippery. So slipper in fact that 4 children and multiple pets died. I actually ended up save scumming after two legendary adult dwarfs died realizing it did pose a threat to .... uhhh life. You can now see the Dwarf osha grade wet environment safety Fortifications and grates.

Warm Canyons
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bnf6ALZexPI

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Long time player first time poster (Fort Video: No audio)
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2021, 03:34:02 am »

Welcome.

Warm Canyons is well constructed, and seems like it would have efficient pathing for everyday commutes. I like the open air room that extends down about 6 or 7 z levels. And the curvature of the entrance tunnel is pleasant to look at.

The deaths due to the occasional splash of aquifer dribble hardly surprise me, as it doesn't take much for a dwarf to casually fling themselves off of even the slightest waterfalls.

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
Re: Long time player first time poster (Fort Video: No audio)
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2021, 10:50:30 pm »

Welcome.

Warm Canyons is well constructed, and seems like it would have efficient pathing for everyday commutes. I like the open air room that extends down about 6 or 7 z levels. And the curvature of the entrance tunnel is pleasant to look at.

The deaths due to the occasional splash of aquifer dribble hardly surprise me, as it doesn't take much for a dwarf to casually fling themselves off of even the slightest waterfalls.
They do it with such abandon, don’t they?
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment