Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Tutorial and example spritesheets - Thread for tileset conversions  (Read 18182 times)

vettlingr

• Bay Watcher
  • Þjóðalfur
    • View Profile
Re: Tutorial and example spritesheets - Thread for tileset conversions
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2021, 09:38:30 am »

To keep the sprite count lower, I made the variants separate from the quality, decoration, etc. Currently there are 4 hardcoded variants for furniture. Those can't be changed. Maybe that will change, but that's the current setup. The plan was that people can cycle through those ingame as they like or disable them. We haven't discussed making the amount of variants editable.
I would be happy if these things could be expanded upon by modders, such as increasing/decreasing the number of variants. As well as being able to assign wether a layer is tinted with colour by the game engine or uses the colour as is.
Similar to how inverted Tiles can be assigned in the d_init.

For example
   [TILE_GRAPHICS:ITEM_TABLE:7:0:ITEM_TABLE_LEG_VARIANT:1:M] - Where M at the end tells the game to assign foreground colour taken from materials. Then similarly you could specify if the tile is inverted, uses background colour, forground colour, colour of material, etc.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2021, 10:45:32 am »

Yeah, I agree completely. I recently suggested something similar, not including your color suggestion. Tarn is currently hard at work redoing rooms and can't upload a new test version till that's done, so I don't want to bother him with too many suggestions right now. But it's certainly noted. Mod control is always good.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2021, 07:53:09 pm »

I know that dwarves/whatever are going to be rendered with the clothes they're actually wearing. You can either see the true color of the fabric, or a tint assigned based on the dwarf's profession.

Are there any options for adding decorative elements to sprites so that it's easier to visually distinguish different roles? Circlets, crowns, sceptres of office for nobility, for example? Or colored sashes worn above the clothing by other nobles like mayors, expedition leaders, and so on?

Example from my mod's current sprite sheet: Four ranks of nobility, two ranks of priest, expedition leader, and mayor. I worry that it won't be possible to make such positions as obvious in the new system.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2021, 08:37:54 pm by Rekov »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2021, 07:59:43 pm »

Are there any technical limitations for modders who want to make sprites with 512 layers for every playable race in the game? When does the graphics card start melting?

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2021, 08:19:03 pm »

Can dwarves be animated too? Is there a way to have job-specific animations? Thinking like have dancing dancers, musicians playing their instruments, storytellers gesturing and moving their heads or mouths. Maybe have workshop work animations too– maybe a working animation and another animation for when each item gets done crafting, so you can see how fast they're working without opening the build queue.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2021, 08:48:21 pm »

Are there any options for adding decorative elements to sprites so that it's easier to visually distinguish different roles? Circlets, crowns, sceptres of office for nobility, for example?
Currently they only accept unit type tokens (https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Unit_type_token) but I'm sure they will accept position tokens from the entity file once Tarn gets around to add it.

Are there any technical limitations for modders who want to make sprites with 512 layers for every playable race in the game? When does the graphics card start melting?
No limitations as of now. I don't even think it would slow the game down much, if you do it for all creatures. We are working on giving the animal men layers, so that they can show the correct equipment too. That's 200+ creatures.

Can dwarves be animated too? Is there a way to have job-specific animations?
Animations like an alt-tile we tested, like a bat that beats its wings. Since animations are expensive to make (lots of frames, skyrocketing the sprite count), we might maybe probably not, who knows, do them at the very end if time is left, but they are not the focus right now.

Hard to answer. Working right now? No. Planned? No. Could I convince Tarn that it's something modders would like? Maybe, but not now.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

vettlingr

• Bay Watcher
  • Þjóðalfur
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2021, 06:50:27 am »

I've been looking into making directional walls with my current geology sprites. Can I discard my alpha maps or how does that work?

Following image shows basalt and obsidian

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2021, 08:50:53 am »

Wall example:

The blank spaces are for the four variants we do in most places.

The background color for the unrevealed areas is chosen elsewhere, you don't have to add it manually to every wall sprite.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2021, 11:54:02 am »

Does the game automatically handle the transition of hair color to Gray and then to White as a Dwarf ages?

Is there a way to have the game apply color to a hair style instead of including a graphic for each color?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 12:24:43 pm by jecowa »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2021, 12:38:46 pm »

Yeah, dwarves that get older should get grey/white hair. I haven't seen it in my super-short test forts though.

I haven't tested using raw colors on layered creatures.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2021, 01:42:23 pm »

For convenience, here's the colors of the civilized races (excluding SUBTERRANEAN_ANIMAL_PEOPLES) and a few other races :

Spoiler: Dwarf Eye Colors (click to show/hide)

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2021, 12:48:02 pm »

What are the raws like for...
1. butchering returns/organs
2. severed body parts (if the support is in yet, iirc none have been shown in the devlogs)
3. [UNDER_PRESSURE] body parts like intestines
?
Pages: 1 [2]