Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Space Lords (2/?)  (Read 837 times)

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
Space Lords (2/?)
« on: February 22, 2021, 02:30:13 pm »

This is one half of a game I wanted to run, but it has been suggested to me that I don't have the political side nearly ready so I'm running it as a PvP 4X.

Players are powerful space lords who command entire planets and want to become the Emperor of Space.

Planets fall into several categories:
  • Farming planets: produce enough food to feed themselves and 2 additional planets. If a planet is not supplied with food for the turn, it (reverts to subsistence farming and) does nothing that turn. Food can be bought an sold as normal, but cannot be stockpiled.
  • Mining planets: produces 3 units of ore.
  • Manufacturing planets: turn up to 3 ore into an equal number of machines
  • Recruitment planets: produce 3 armies (see conquest) Armies can not be stockpiled, and are raised anew if destroyed.
  • Shipyard planets: may spend 3 ore to produce 1 fleet/turn. (Note: You must also spend 1 ore per fleet as upkeep, or that fleet will have a bad time.)

Colonization: This is a 2 step process. The controller of a fleet may send it away on a mission of exploration (thus preventing it from combat use.) One fleet will find one potential colony per turn (that only the fleet controllers know of.) Each colony is of a particular kind (see planets) and costs 10 machines to settle. Fleets which are not supplied can not explore.

Conquest: Armies are assigned to a planet each turn by PM. It takes an army to take over a planet. if there are several armies present, they may fight until no disagreement about who the planet belongs to exists.
Fleets are also assigned to a planet (or exploration) each turn by PM. A fleet stationed above a planet may prevent any armies (except the planet controller's which are already there) from landing there. Of course if there are several fleets stationed above a planet they may also fight until no disagreement about which armies can land exists.
(So to recap: fleets beat armies, but only armies can take planets)

Combat: Works like in Risk. When fleets or armies fight, they roll a six sided die for each army/fleet.  The highest die on each side is compared and whichever side has the lower number loses 1 fleet/army (in case of ties no one loses) then the next highest die and so on. Fleets which are not supplied roll with a -2 disadvantage. If after a round of combat units remain on both sides, another round is automatically run, until only one side remains.

Trading: Players are free to trade anything to anyone (from food and ore to alliances and votes.)
There's also a backup market, that sells food, ore (for 100 Million Florins) and machines (for 200.) Or buys them (for 10 and 20 Million respectively.)

Starting conditions: Each player starts with 5 planets of their choice and 1000 Million Imperial Florins (M₣).

Winning Conditions: Each turn a vote is carried out, with each player having as many votes as they have planets. The only issue to vote for is who will be Emperor. This player wins the game. (There is no reason to vote for anyone but yourself, but you can to fulfil a deal or out of king-making spite.)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 05:50:52 am by a1s »
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Secretdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Space Lords (0/?)
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2021, 08:41:41 am »

In! I'll make a space lord later. Not sure, how to balance the planets but I'll try :D

Edit: Do we spoiler our planets section from others, as it might give them an unfair advantage?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 08:56:15 am by Secretdorf »

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
Re: Space Lords (1/?)
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2021, 02:43:13 pm »

Sure. Also please give your planets names or designations.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Secretdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2021, 09:08:09 pm »

Space lord Secretdorf(WIP)

Planets:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 07:41:27 am by Secretdorf »

MonkeyMarkMario

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2021, 12:00:49 am »

I am intrigued:

Space Lord MonkeyLord, Lord of the Monkeys, is present.

Spoiler: planets/stats (click to show/hide)

Couple questions:
Can we change planets around at will?

What % of votes do you have to get to 'win'?

Can we only trade food, ore, votes, and alliances? or can we trade anything all the way to planets?

Do we only get the number of armies equal to 3*recruitment planets? also if we are not moving armies do we still have to PM army placement?

Can we set a limit to a number of fleets/armies we are willing to lose in a battle that we send them to? or is it going to be all or nothing?

I will still play regardless of the answers just want some clarification. I am sure more questions will come later.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 10:22:29 am by MonkeyMarkMario »
My Forum game(s):
None for now

Any future games will be simpler in nature, I have a bad habit of biting off more than I can chew. Also hoping for more players in them.

I have Discord for my games now(not necessary to play, tho might be easier to contact me): https://discord.gg/DuaARAZ

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2021, 05:50:37 am »

Can we change planets around at will?
No. Planets stay the type they are created/settled.

What % of votes do you have to get to 'win'?
Simple majority (50% + 1 vote)

Can we only trade food, ore, votes, and alliances? or can we trade anything all the way to planets?
You can make any deals you want, planets included.
Do we only get the number of armies equal to 3*recruitment planets? also if we are not moving armies do we still have to PM army placement?
Armies are handled diplomacy-style (you have them as long as there is support). You don't have to PM army/fleet movements if there are none, but please indicate you are done with your turn.
Can we set a limit to a number of fleets/armies we are willing to lose in a battle that we send them to? or is it going to be all or nothing?
I'm going to allow it, however armies/fleets have to survive the full combat round to retreat, so if you had 3 and you lose 2 in combat you will only get to retreat with 1, even if you indicated your preference for retreating with 2. Obviously, if you won that combat, you don't retreat even below the threshold.

Finally, please give your planets names (this is primarily so armies/fleets know where to go when deployed, though you may also derive some RP value out of it.)

MonkeyMarkMario

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2021, 10:31:52 am »

I'm going to allow it, however armies/fleets have to survive the full combat round to retreat, so if you had 3 and you lose 2 in combat you will only get to retreat with 1, even if you indicated your preference for retreating with 2. Obviously, if you won that combat, you don't retreat even below the threshold.
That makes sense.

Finally, please give your planets names (this is primarily so armies/fleets know where to go when deployed, though you may also derive some RP value out of it.)
Done(I do have some references in there, internet cookie if anyone gets them).

More questions:
How do we discover the other player's planets?

Is there a map(can help visually though I understand if there isn't)?
My Forum game(s):
None for now

Any future games will be simpler in nature, I have a bad habit of biting off more than I can chew. Also hoping for more players in them.

I have Discord for my games now(not necessary to play, tho might be easier to contact me): https://discord.gg/DuaARAZ

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
Re: Space Lords (2/?)
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2021, 10:51:11 am »

Other players' planets are immediately discovered when colonized. The fluff is that this is due to large amount of traffic to/from them. Does that seem unrealistic?
Is there a map(can help visually though I understand if there isn't)?
There is no map.

MonkeyMarkMario

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2021, 01:11:53 am »

Other players' planets are immediately discovered when colonized. The fluff is that this is due to large amount of traffic to/from them. Does that seem unrealistic?
If that is the case then is there a point in putting our planets in spoilers. As for unrealistic: if there is no map then this is the best way that is the least complicated.

Since there is no map do distances matter or is everything as close or as far as it needs to be?
My Forum game(s):
None for now

Secretdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2021, 09:41:50 am »

No putting in spoilers was, so players that come later don't choose a combination of planets to defeat another players. So it doesn't matter after the game starts. I think.

Secretdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2021, 12:35:25 am »

Can ore be stockpiled?

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2021, 09:12:54 am »

Yes, ore and machines can be stockpiled.