Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can a civilization's culture still change over time after world generation?  (Read 737 times)

PaintDragon

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Dwarf fortress noob still learning how to play
    • View Profile

I'm just wondering this because I'd generated a world with a very short history, which didn't give the civilizations time to develop their own cultures. As a result, they're all pretty much carbon-copies of each other.
Also, what determines a civilization's culture in the first place? Is it just the average 'values' of its population or what?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 03:24:16 pm by PaintDragon »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm just wondering this because I'd generated a world with a very short history, which didn't give the civilizations time to develop their own cultures. As a result, they're all pretty much carbon-copies of each other.
Also, what determines a civilization's culture in the first place? Is it just the average 'values' of its population or what?
Culture is due to be more fully implemented in the arc after Mythgen. Right now it's based mainly in values (of which human civs differ from each other but other races are mostly the same from civ to civ). In addition the leader of the civ has some influence on how aggressive they are. Especially if they're a vampire.

DrCyano

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile

For the most part, culture and civ knowledge (like which animals they have domesticated) only develops during world generation, but alliances and wars and leadership of the various sites and civs does change during play (eg I've lost my mountainhome to enemy conquest while playing in fortress mode).

The best way to change the world is to conquer it yourself  ;)

A mad scientist necromancer, a peasant with a dream, a secret message inscribed on a gem, a giant bridge.
Come witness the Saga of the Puzzling Sea!
A documented Dwarf Fortress v0.47.xx game combining Fort Mode and Adventure Mode.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What exactly do we mean by "culture" here anyway?
War, destroyed sites, new sites, reclaimed sites, kidnapping, revolution all happens in the background, yes. None of that is "culture" is it?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 01:12:05 am by Shonai_Dweller »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Art, such as books and music is produced after world gen and history as well, although instruments are generated and fixed during world gen.