Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Is there a way to just disable the justice system?  (Read 2365 times)

k9wazere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a way to just disable the justice system?
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2021, 08:09:25 pm »

I just don't activate it. You don't have to appoint some nobles.
From where I'm sitting, there doesn't appear to be any purpose to it, beyond roleplaying.
Like.....Dwarf Fortress..... :)
Not sure I personally agree. I'm quite objective focused, so I see DF as a set of gameplay mechanics with a success condition and (many) failure conditions.

The "Dwarven Justice" system doesn't help achieve the objectives I set for myself, because I tend not to set purely roleplay objectives.

You could argue that most games are a kind of role-playing, even down to Sonic the Hedgehog, but again I personally don't experience games like that :p

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2021, 12:24:13 am »

Not sure I personally agree. I'm quite objective focused, so I see DF as a set of gameplay mechanics with a success condition and (many) failure conditions.

The "Dwarven Justice" system doesn't help achieve the objectives I set for myself, because I tend not to set purely roleplay objectives.

You could argue that most games are a kind of role-playing, even down to Sonic the Hedgehog, but again I personally don't experience games like that :p

The dwarven justice system interacts with a lot of placeholders that don't work quite right, which is why it seems so arbitrary that there can be a door export ban where offenders are executed for following (player) orders when someone else sent out a vague countermanding order they aren't programmed to follow.

That said, the justice system serves as much of a function as, say, the mood system, sieges and combat, needs and other systems do.  They present challenges that require you adapt your strategy to work around them.  There would be no purpose in building farms or worrying about food and drink if nobody ate or drank, after all.  Justice exists to make you build jails and work around the justice system so valuable dwarves aren't executed.

As social structures and concepts like the villains arc are more developed, I'm sure we'll get thief dwarves, spies, and saboteurs we'll actually need the justice system to combat. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2021, 01:50:51 am »

You can avoid missing mandates by setting announcements.txt to trigger a pop-up box for new mandates or demands. Yeah, it sounds like a pain but you won't miss them.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?
Pages: 1 [2]