Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Is there a way to just disable the justice system?  (Read 2323 times)

DogsRNice

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Maclunky
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile
Is there a way to just disable the justice system?
« on: February 23, 2021, 06:14:04 pm »

Im tired of having numerous convictions that often result in deaths for one reason or another because I didn’t notice my mayor’s monthly demand for more buckets
I had an FB named Ned once.  I kept imagining a giant Ned Flanders...

Want an underground tree with green wood? Check out this tiny mod I made to add one

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a way to just disable the justice system?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2021, 06:25:00 pm »

Im tired of having numerous convictions that often result in deaths for one reason or another because I didn’t notice my mayor’s monthly demand for more buckets
As far as I know, not as such, but you can do what I do (I just hate the abstract concept of justice) and refuse to appoint a captain of the guard (or sheriff), so that nobody does anything about it.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2021, 09:19:40 pm »

I just don't activate it. You don't have to appoint some nobles.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2021, 09:34:49 pm »

Without a captain of the guard, nothing happens, right?

Naia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2021, 02:11:17 am »

Setting up some chains or cages and define them as prisoner cells also helps. Dwarfs then tends to get some days in jail, rather than a beating.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2021, 04:20:30 am »

Unfortunately, you have to be rather careful with you militia squad creation as it's very easy to accidentally get a captain of the guard when you just wanted to set up another squad (it somehow becomes the default somewhere along the line).

Also, the Villains mess requires the injustice system to perform interrogations. You can block Villains by not allowing any visitors to any of your facilities, I think (you'll still get the useless monster hunters, but I haven't seen any of them being villainous agents).
On the other hand, the injustice system doesn't really help against Villains, as the only way to recover artifacts is to kill the bearer (although I've seen some comment that you can do things backwards by convicting the bearer for the theft and interrogate him afterwards). Nothing you do (using vanilla means) will have any effect whatsoever on either the unbounded stream of villains into your fortress or deter your morons from continuing to steal your artifacts (killing all the dorfs will obviously block them from stealing, but that's about it).

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2021, 08:49:28 am »

Like others have said, just don't appoint the relevant nobles (sheriff, hammerer, captain of guard) and the justice system is essentially disabled. You can also minimize the number of justice cases by only appointing nobles with no item preferences. That means no production order violations from missed mandates which tend to be the majority of justice cases.

When everything else fails, you can abuse the fact that convictions reset when the criminal goes offscreen. Just send your convicts on an exploration mission to a safe nearby cave for instance, and their slate will be wiped clean.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Dragonborn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2021, 10:22:35 am »

Do artifacts get stolen from stockpiles?  Or is it a requirement that the artifact be on display somewhere?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2021, 11:45:28 am »

The only requirement for artifacts to get stolen is that the thief can get at them (which includes stockpiles: I've had a theft from one).

xordae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2021, 04:00:41 am »

Maybe this is a backwards way to look at it, but just make a mothly job item for X buckets. And if he also forbids export, hold a yearly bucket atom smasher celebration.

Or kill the mayor until one gets appointed who demands useful things.

The justice system is cool, and now it's got interrogations, counter intelligence and all that fun stuff. I would be sad to play without it.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 04:02:55 am by xordae »

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2021, 05:45:32 am »

Mayors can also be replaced in the nobles screen. Just put your own item-preferenceless candidate back in charge every time your dwarves do that pesky "democracy" thing.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2021, 08:53:43 am »

Well, meeting the stupid mandates of nobles means not producing the things that are actually needed by the fortress, which can be hard in a low pop fortress. Also, when the mandates demand things you can't produce (such as metal items on a metal free embark where goblins haven't yet showed up to donate some goblinite) you've got problems.
You also have to note the mandate spam and get random dorfs murdered for "export violations" retroactively anyway.

Replacing the mayor is easy, though, as Staalo mentioned, and the ones you select directly can be selected among those who don't have any spam generating preferences.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2021, 07:54:42 pm »

Mayors can also be replaced in the nobles screen. Just put your own item-preferenceless candidate back in charge every time your dwarves do that pesky "democracy" thing.

I removed the [ELECTED] tag from mayors in my civ raws so I only had to do that once.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

k9wazere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2021, 07:01:22 pm »

From where I'm sitting, there doesn't appear to be any purpose to it, beyond roleplaying.

All the consequences of enabling it seem negative. Fatalities, bad thoughts, dorfs locked up rather than being useful.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2021, 07:13:39 pm »

From where I'm sitting, there doesn't appear to be any purpose to it, beyond roleplaying.
Like.....Dwarf Fortress..... :)
Pages: [1] 2