Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Leafy sticks dwarf bane?  (Read 385 times)

Pepijn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Leafy sticks dwarf bane?
« on: February 24, 2021, 12:39:12 am »

So I've graduated to my first extended military fight vs a steady stream of Troglodytes. I was doing fine my dwarves are skilled and have several layers of quality equipment. Then they started to fight near a small land bridge between two non flowing pools of water.... Now there's several drowned skilled fighters and a dead battle baby. It's awefull.
But that's not my question 1 of my dwarves swam underneath a tree in the water and is now stuck in the foliage but not drowning? Please someone tell me this is not the end of my hammer dwarf.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Leafy sticks dwarf bane?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2021, 04:06:40 am »

Your dorf is probably lost. Using DFHack you can teleport it to safety, but vanilla rescue would be very tricky:
- Set up a ballista and fire bolts at the tree to destroy it. The dorf will either drown trying to swim to the shore, actually make it to the shore, or get stuck in the hole in the water where the trunk used to be, doomed to be stuck there to die of hunger/thirst (Don't know if dorfs can drink from walls of water, though).
- If stuck in a hole in the water, you need to create ripples in the water by e.g. channeling out a tile of the shore. Eventually that ripple should hit the hole in the water and get it to collapse, at which time your dorf is back to swim or drown. Note that ripples may be cancelled by water flowing in from the edge if the lake is connected to the edge, in which case you may have to create new ripples.

If the lake isn't connected to the edge you can also drain it by digging a tunnel to the map edge underneath the lake, carve a fortification in the edge, and then drain the lake into that tunnel. I'd probably try that in parallel with making and setting up a ballista.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 04:08:47 am by PatrikLundell »

Pepijn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2021, 09:52:57 am »

So I just checked and I told him to swim down in the water and it got him out somehow?

Now the issue is that he's highly traumatized. Basically has PTSD from the whole ordeal. Can I save him? From him self? He's not an Urist McTriggered. There's got to be a way to set them up for success by giving them time off an making a dwarf spa somehow?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2021, 10:09:51 am »

A spa? You mean you want to put him into even more water? ;)

(Srsly, pay attention to the psychology, needs and preferences and maybe you can impress them with a great meal in grand dining room and/or get them to make something that pleases their work ethic and aesthetic tastes, etc... It's a bit of an art, a bit of luck and a lot of good timing I would think.)