Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Summoning deities into the physical world?  (Read 1994 times)

Mysterious Tree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Summoning deities into the physical world?
« on: February 25, 2021, 12:02:39 pm »

Is this possible? I've seen people that captured and even killed deities and I really want to know how this was done. I want to summon a god in my fortress because no other fun stuff can get to me (im inside of the south pole with nothing on the land except for my subterranean fortress) and tunneling down into hell just doesn't seem like something challenging as it can be done with minimal effort (And I'm not looking to try and conquer hell right now because I'll get completely slaughtered, no doubt about it). Is there some sort of summoning ritual that has to be performed or is it all up to random chance? I can't find anything on the wiki but deities do have an entity symbol Å which is why I'm asking this.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Summoning deities into the physical world?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2021, 04:31:25 pm »

No. That would be post Myth & Magic functionality. I think deities once did appear in the world sometimes, but don't think they do any longer.

Mysterious Tree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2021, 04:34:49 pm »

So this is all modded or in an older version? Because that would really suck :/
https://www.reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/comments/8ihki0/i_was_attacked_by_a_deity/
https://www.reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/comments/24y08k/i_caught_a_deity_decide_what_i_do_with_him/

Also, before I forget to note, I do have a race with the [POWER] token to allow for deities to become physical.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 04:38:05 pm by Mysterious Tree »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2021, 04:39:35 pm »

From memory (ICBW), there are/were those from the [SPOILER] who would assume the role of 'known' deities, as they ruled their aboveworld minions.

Mysterious Tree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2021, 04:53:16 pm »

I really hope that we can summon deities with the magic update because I want to summon probably one of the funniest deities, Cuc, the god of storms, thunder and lightning (that is if worlds are updatable).

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2021, 08:53:25 pm »

Also, before I forget to note, I do have a race with the [POWER] token to allow for deities to become physical.
Creatures with [POWER] merely pretend to be deities in order to take over civilisations, which is what happened in those two reddit threads you have. It apparently doesn't work on civilised races, though. If you have, say, given [POWER] to the megabeasts as the first reddit thread specified, then by all means a megabeast impersonating a deity might end up at your fort. It won't be any different from any other megabeast, though: it's only pretending.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2021, 09:29:14 pm »

So this is all modded or in an older version? Because that would really suck :/
https://www.reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/comments/8ihki0/i_was_attacked_by_a_deity/
https://www.reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/comments/24y08k/i_caught_a_deity_decide_what_i_do_with_him/

Says in the comments right below that first link that it's modded, yes.

Ramiel.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2021, 09:35:00 pm »

What was said above, the [POWER] tag lets creatures pretend to be a deity and lead civilizations as such.  Also even without modding it's possible for civilized creatures to start worshiping megabeasts and titans like deities, though this doesn't change their name or behavior at all.  Deities at this moment aren't actual physical entities, their existence is limited to being objects of worship, raising spires for goblin civs to form, and doling out curses for blasphemers.  I assume the character for them exists for engravings and the like.

As for transferring saves, worlds can usually be transferred fine between minor updates (like the recent 47.04 to 47.05), but are never compatible between major updates as there's simply too much that changes in the game.  The Myth and Magic update, even in its earliest partially-finished release, will likely be the biggest update the game's seen, even moreso than world activation in v0.40 or adding the z-axis in v0.28.  So I'd say with 105% certainty current worlds will not be compatible with it.  You'll probably be able to mod in your past favorites if you really like, but I bet the update will give even crazier and more interesting results than anything the game gens up now.

Mysterious Tree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2021, 04:26:08 am »

I guess I was a bit hasty with writing this discussion because the answers weren't hard to find. I'll be waiting on the tip of my chair for the magic update then, I cannot wait!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2021, 07:35:47 am »

I guess I was a bit hasty with writing this discussion because the answers weren't hard to find. I'll be waiting on the tip of my chair for the magic update then, I cannot wait!
I'd recommend NOT waiting on the tip of your chair for the next 7 years, but rather do something useful (while eagerly waiting nonetheless), like playing the DF that's available, investigate the weird stuff called "life", or start a multi billion dollar company (the profits could then allow you to donate a couple of millions to Toady).

Mysterious Tree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2021, 07:57:32 am »

XD I of course won't just sit and wait lol, I have other things to do in that time
also the weird stuff called "life" is something that I dumped a long time ago
I am beyond saving...

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2021, 08:30:31 am »

Have you tried Ctrl-S?

(Jesus Saves! The devil just uses the paste-buffer.)

Mysterious Tree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2021, 08:36:50 am »

No i havent, only Alt+F4.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2021, 03:24:33 pm »

No i havent, only Alt+F4.

Do not cite the deep magic to me.

I was there when it was written.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2021, 05:13:42 pm »

Rumrusher did some experimentation with giving deities physical bodies using DFHack. You'd have to search around for it.

Here's what I found searching his posts for "deity":
how I did this well I fiddle with one of the blank historical units in adventure mode figuring since they don't really have an important soul I could cram a deity into them
also just as some weird idea figure if I reload the map it would 'fix' any errors I would get by changing the historical unit id.
also a bit about the souls thing I found it pretty funny how I attempted to shove a deity into a unit thinking that's how you get them to exist when the solution was to cram the deity historical figure into a nemesis and assign the nemesis into the site.
which makes the process more instead of scrapping someone historical self from their physical self I could be generating a connector of historical self and physical self and slot it into a site... and have the site spawn a fresh avatar for the deity.

I think there's more somewhere. Could just ask Rumrusher directly.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 05:16:30 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?
Pages: [1] 2