Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves not caring about anything anymore  (Read 2447 times)

UselessMcMiner

• Bay Watcher
  • praise jeebus
    • View Profile
Dwarves not caring about anything anymore
« on: February 26, 2021, 11:57:15 am »

Has anyone noticed this becoming more common? Almost all of my citizens dont care about anything anymore. Is it because I'm using mods?
The scouts have been fighting a giant capuchin for the past month now. They still haven't killed it.

Obsidian 1053

The Sentries are still fighting the capuchin. For two monthes they have done nothing but punch this monkey.

Dragonborn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves not caring about anything anymore
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2021, 01:20:39 pm »

There was a time before 0.44.10, and after tantrum spirals were nerfed, where alcohol made dwarves permanently happy and not care about anything.  I've seen a few dwarves with that trait now in my current fort, but I haven't seen if it's widespread or not.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2021, 05:08:18 pm »

It's related to seeing enough dead bodies. It was broken for a while, but now it's working again.

Other races that gain this state develop a need for alcohol. (I don't remember if they slow down like dwarves do when sober, or if it's just a focus need.)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 05:10:24 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

UselessMcMiner

• Bay Watcher
  • praise jeebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2021, 07:04:01 pm »

It seems like it triggers a bit too easily though, that might just be me (or because my modded race is vulnerable to stress)
The scouts have been fighting a giant capuchin for the past month now. They still haven't killed it.

Obsidian 1053

The Sentries are still fighting the capuchin. For two monthes they have done nothing but punch this monkey.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2021, 07:13:53 pm »

It's part of the stress rebalance in 47.05. Dwarves get more used to dead bodies and rain now, so most of the fortress "don't feel anything any more". Maybe needs a nudge back towards snowflakery.

Or just more terror in the form of digging invaders and Improved Sieges.

--
(Ah, but also playing with slightly more stress prone modded dorfs right now. Are regular dwarves turning out the same way?)

xordae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2021, 04:05:46 am »

I think the stress system in 0.47.05 is the best it's been in a while. Definitely doesn't need to be tuned for more stress. In my super luxurious fort, I get the occasional stress breakdown and it usually can't be fixed, no matter how often they scream at the mayor or how drunk they get. Even with the whole fortress tuned to the max there will be problem cases, and that's okay with me.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2021, 04:09:52 am »

I think the stress system in 0.47.05 is the best it's been in a while. Definitely doesn't need to be tuned for more stress. In my super luxurious fort, I get the occasional stress breakdown and it usually can't be fixed, no matter how often they scream at the mayor or how drunk they get. Even with the whole fortress tuned to the max there will be problem cases, and that's okay with me.
I think screaming at the mayor is actually contributing to the problem a little. Whenever the stressed dwarf goes off to do something fun, they're ready for another meeting.

Nilsolm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2021, 06:51:48 am »

I noticed a pair of dwarves seemingly not care one bit about their child being turned into a weremoose and getting killed. I wonder if that's an unintended side effect of this change.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2021, 07:34:22 am »

I noticed a pair of dwarves seemingly not care one bit about their child being turned into a weremoose and getting killed. I wonder if that's an unintended side effect of this change.
I think it's just a phrasing problem. The solution to snowflake dwarves living in a war zone all going insane is of course to get them used to the violence through repeated exposure. And DF only has the phrases "getting used to trauma" and "doesn't feel anything any more" to describe it.

"Doesn't feel anything any more" doesn't seem to actually mean that, as they can all feel fondness with their friends and fear after suffering an injury. So, not such a bad thing. Perhaps needs a new sentence.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2021, 07:57:24 pm »

Intelligent undead truly don't feel anything anymore. Nothing but "didn't feel anything after X". Not giving your dwarves permission to die is great! :)
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2021, 12:41:39 am »

Intelligent undead truly don't feel anything anymore. Nothing but "didn't feel anything after X". Not giving your dwarves permission to die is great! :)
Ha, yes indeed. Let's add a new half-way phrase and keep the unfeeling descriptions for those who truly can't feel anything any more.  :)