Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Summoning deities into the physical world?  (Read 2013 times)

Mysterious Tree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Summoning deities into the physical world?
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2021, 12:38:24 pm »

Well there is one slight problem...
I don't understand anything when it comes to DFHack... (I know only simple commands such as "die".)
So even if Rumrusher were to explain, I would probably not understand it. I didn't even know that cramming a deity into a unit was possible.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2021, 07:56:21 pm »

DFHack isn't something to be intimidated by.  You basically just type commands into a console. 
https://docs.dfhack.org/en/stable/docs/Introduction.html

The documentation linked to from the 1st page of the DFHack thread is really good.  Also the rest of thread too has a bunch of good info.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=164123.0

Of course there is a lot you can do with DFHack as well, but you don't have to know every part of it to start using it more.  And like anything, the more you interact with it, the better you understand it.

Tsov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2021, 05:28:32 am »

DFHack isn't something to be intimidated by.  You basically just type commands into a console. 

You missed the part where if you want to do anything non-trivial and not covered by existing scripts you have to know the entire Lua API and data structures and understand exactly how the game stores information internally and what operations needed to avoid crashes, the documentation page on dfhack's site is incomplete and more terse than a 19th century English schoolteacher and the wiki simply doesn't talk about it at all.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2021, 05:39:16 am »

Well there is one slight problem...
I don't understand anything when it comes to DFHack... (I know only simple commands such as "die".)
So even if Rumrusher were to explain, I would probably not understand it. I didn't even know that cramming a deity into a unit was possible.
ok so saw the title of the thread and pop in here ok so the stuff I work on was mostly experiments with gm-editor and the result of what I did was more of a 'wonder if this works' process than a 'ok I can recreate this enough to write a script to macro the process and the original experiments was done in adv mode than dwarf/fort mode so the process to do this in fort mode would require more work in migrating the unit to the fort.
which I guess given I made a script that snatches folks from sites one could just write up a lampshade script where you pick a god out of the churches you build to gain an avatar then you just send a military group to explore some site to have the script insert the deity in said site to be pick up on the return trip back.

or you could just gm-editor toggle one of your historical figure fort citizens to become a deity and just play the game with someone who building a following by talking to others.

oh yeah said deities mortal form can die and do all the other stuff other mortals get into and I don't think there's nothing stopping a god from cursing themselves if they roll poorly on some die or the deity having kids making probably the true sense of the word demigods.

also one more thing deities avatars matches the legend mode descriptions they have so a depicted god that looks like a dog will look like a dog even if they are a dwarven god, and this probably goes for the skeletonal and zombie deities.
also I think this research got sidetrack really hard after realizing I could convince the co-adventurer elf into becoming a monarch of the dwarves through simple talks about the weather and said process can be done in vanilla, then said sidetrack led to a better solution to what I was really working on the bogeyman playable in a fort project which now that it's been completed

like as a starting point you probably need to poke around

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.

You missed the part where if you want to do anything non-trivial and not covered by existing scripts you have to know the entire Lua API and data structures and understand exactly how the game stores information internally and what operations needed to avoid crashes, the documentation page on dfhack's site is incomplete and more terse than a 19th century English schoolteacher and the wiki simply doesn't talk about it at all.
oh yeah my grasp on lua is really bare bones and made from looking at other scripts and... asking warmist for help a couple of times.
took a solid chunk of my time wondering how to insert into a nil value until I realize it's
Code: [Select]
df.global.world.nemesis.all[the_new_nemesis_here].figure=df.global.world.history.figure[the_historical_figure] in layman terms
but yeah this is project shifted from 'you can use gm-editors built in insert and edit functions to mess with the game' to 'you might want to macro out a lua script to do this.'
good thing there's a built in lua for dfhack that you can mess around learning lua with than having to use notepad or notepad++ or some ease of script writing program.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Mysterious Tree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2021, 05:39:03 am »

ok so saw the title of the thread and pop in here ok so the stuff I work on was mostly experiments with gm-editor and the result of what I did was more of a 'wonder if this works' process than a 'ok I can recreate this enough to write a script to macro the process and the original experiments was done in adv mode than dwarf/fort mode so the process to do this in fort mode would require more work in migrating the unit to the fort.
which I guess given I made a script that snatches folks from sites one could just write up a lampshade script where you pick a god out of the churches you build to gain an avatar then you just send a military group to explore some site to have the script insert the deity in said site to be pick up on the return trip back.

Well this would already be a bit difficult to do as there are no accessible surrounding sites and my fortress also has no linked hillocks (I haven't figured out how to make my fortress found neighboring sites yet).

And I also have absolutely no experience with the gui/gm-editor command or lua scripts.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2021, 07:20:11 am »

You don't actively found sites. Instead, the mother civ does (unless it's dead). I don't know the details, but it's based on your site being "successful" (trade value? fortress value? ...).

Tsov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2021, 09:47:29 am »

You don't actively found sites.

I guess you could retire a fortress, make an adventurer camp, retire the adventurer at the fortress, unretire the fortress and conquer the camp? Never tried it but if it works it could be a nice way to "hack" through the nobility stages and generally enjoy the benefits of holdings

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2021, 12:04:28 pm »

You don't actively found sites.

I guess you could retire a fortress, make an adventurer camp, retire the adventurer at the fortress, unretire the fortress and conquer the camp? Never tried it but if it works it could be a nice way to "hack" through the nobility stages and generally enjoy the benefits of holdings
Assuming the adventurer camp is treated as a site (I haven't tried adventure mode), yes, you ought to be able to conquer sites belonging to other civs (so your adventurers' civs would have to be chosen not to be the future fortress one). However, that doesn't differ from conquering "real" enemy sites, which is probably less work (embark close to a lot of small gobbo sites, for instance). Also note that conquest of sites will not make the civ they belonged to happy: they may well go to war over the issue.

Mysterious Tree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2021, 01:14:47 pm »

I haven't actually explored the economic system in DF yet. I suppose now would be a good time to begin doing something with it now that I solved my stress problem in a questionably fun way.
Pages: 1 [2]