Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress: Steam and Steel 1.41  (Read 6755 times)

hertggf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: Steam and Steel 1.41
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2021, 01:57:16 pm »

But DF's value system is unfinished and instead of taking into account quality and scarcity, you'll still have these ostensibly sophisticated civilizations using stuff like copper armor at the same ratio of steel armor, which in my opinion totally breaks immersion.
I think it should be possible to do what you're trying to do (or at least my interpretation of what I think you're trying to do  :D)
I haven't actually tested this but I've done similar things and in theory it should work. Basically you need to get rid of all of the
hard-coded reactions and items by deleting them from your high-tech entity, then write new ones by hand.
Once you have total control over the reactions that are available to your high-tech civ, it should be as simple as limiting the output
of the reactions to the materials and items you actually want. In WC your people might still try to shove copper bars into your fancy new
custom forges no matter what you do but that doesn't mean you have to let it affect the output.
For example:
Code: [Select]
[REACTION:MAKE_STEAM_ARMOR]
[NAME:steam-powered power armor]
[BUILDING:FORGE:NONE]
        [REAGENT:A:150:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:STEEL]
[PRODUCT:100:1:ITEM_ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_STEAM:INORGANIC:STEEL]
[SKILL:FORGE_ARMOR]

Edit: The download link in the OP is dead
« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 02:11:06 pm by hertggf »

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: Steam and Steel 1.41
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2021, 08:54:09 pm »

But DF's value system is unfinished and instead of taking into account quality and scarcity, you'll still have these ostensibly sophisticated civilizations using stuff like copper armor at the same ratio of steel armor, which in my opinion totally breaks immersion.
I think it should be possible to do what you're trying to do (or at least my interpretation of what I think you're trying to do  :D)
I haven't actually tested this but I've done similar things and in theory it should work. Basically you need to get rid of all of the
hard-coded reactions and items by deleting them from your high-tech entity, then write new ones by hand.
Once you have total control over the reactions that are available to your high-tech civ, it should be as simple as limiting the output
of the reactions to the materials and items you actually want. In WC your people might still try to shove copper bars into your fancy new
custom forges no matter what you do but that doesn't mean you have to let it affect the output.
For example:
Code: [Select]
[REACTION:MAKE_STEAM_ARMOR]
[NAME:steam-powered power armor]
[BUILDING:FORGE:NONE]
        [REAGENT:A:150:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:STEEL]
[PRODUCT:100:1:ITEM_ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_STEAM:INORGANIC:STEEL]
[SKILL:FORGE_ARMOR]

Edit: The download link in the OP is dead

You can find it in my 'legacy pack" mod now, I moved it there. Also yeah, this could work, but only for player forts. This reaction wouldn't be used by NPCs, so if this was the only way to get steam armor, it wouldn't appear in NPC nations. My main concern is less fortress mode and more the world as a whole. If in an ostensibly high-tech setting, everyone but you is wearing slapdash armor with some parts copper and other parts stainless steel, it gets silly, because while the player can get things right, the NPCs population the rest of the world won't behave that way, and the immersion that would otherwise exist is broken.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 11:57:42 pm by squamous »
I make huge and comprehensive overhaul mods, consider supporting me on Patreon so I can do this full-time:
https://www.patreon.com/themodsmith
Have questions? Need to report bugs? Post them in the discord:  https://discord.gg/dGzGr5svS2
Pages: 1 [2]