Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Invasion!  (Read 711 times)

Pepijn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Invasion!
« on: February 26, 2021, 02:47:26 pm »

Okay I'm on my third year of a "I'm going to stick this one out" fortress a decent 106 citizens. Fairly self sufficient (I think) and I get an invasion FINALLY!

I see ten...twenty...thirty...one hundred and fifty nine 149 invaders.

Is this normal? Did I serve the wrong drink in my tavern? Did I wear the wrong colors in this neck of the woods?

I moved my fairly successful "gleefully chambers" tavern inside right before the invasion half of my patrons went in for safety. The rest stayed behind and got, well you know.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Invasion!
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2021, 04:07:10 pm »

Yes and no...

Normally the first invasion is a "training" one of 10 recruits, but a full invasion defaults (there are parameters to tweak) to 120 soldiers and 40 "monsters" (ogres, trolls, and blizzard men), and each of the soldiers may ride a beak dog on top of that.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2021, 06:08:29 pm »

Yes and no...

Normally the first invasion is a "training" one of 10 recruits, but a full invasion defaults (there are parameters to tweak) to 120 soldiers and 40 "monsters" (ogres, trolls, and blizzard men), and each of the soldiers may ride a beak dog on top of that.
That hasn't been "normal" for a while now. Nearest you get is "snatcher defended by several of his mates".

Pepijn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2021, 10:10:33 pm »

Well I've learned allot. Trolls think hatch and door lives don't matter.

Archers think it's okay to curahee on down a ledge off my tower

Invaders really dislike some visitors while being cool with others.

They can't destroy bridges, so I'm glad I made a vault door

I really should have a well.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2021, 02:50:15 am »

Yes and no...

That hasn't been "normal" for a while now. Nearest you get is "snatcher defended by several of his mates".
Don't know what you mean by "a while". I haven't tried 0.47.05, but I didn't see any difference in 0.47.04 (although I DID see occasional snatchers in 0.47.X, but they generally came together with armies rather than as snatchers only).

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2021, 03:40:16 am »

Yes and no...

Don't know what you mean by "a while". I haven't tried 0.47.05, but I didn't see any difference in 0.47.04 (although I DID see occasional snatchers in 0.47.X, but they generally came together with armies rather than as snatchers only).
First siege of 10 scouts. We're you getting that in 47.04?
I found getting full invasions right away is more common. Might be my mods I guess.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2021, 08:07:02 am »

Yes and no...

First siege of 10 scouts. We're you getting that in 47.04?
I found getting full invasions right away is more common. Might be my mods I guess.
Yes. I didn't see any difference from earlier versions in that respect. I did get a lot of hello-goodbye sieges, though, which I think is unrelated (and it seemed at least most of the hello-goodbye sieges had less than 10 members, raising a suspicion that it might be some kind of failure to reach a minimum number of members for a non stealth attack. Not enough data to be more than a suspicion, though).

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2021, 12:12:44 pm »

Yes and no...

I had been wondering actually whether the supposed diplomats coming need a invasion force of exactly the siege cap before saying the battle is too much, or if the actual total escalated army force is to population size (there are a LOT of nonhistfigs filling up towns with outcasts) is actually somewhere in the 300 - 500 or higher range than cap. As to say, if it was set to 10,000 or so, left to run for a bit, would the number keep snowballing because nonhistfigs don't really seem to cost anything to throw at players?

I've seen scarce reddit screenshots of foreign non-elf diplomats coming to discuss peace, but never experienced it in my own games with the init default.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2021, 05:13:41 pm »

I've never had anyone coming to make peace, but on the other hand I don't provoke wars, satisfying myself with hordes of gobbos and necros.

The pop of the site the invasion comes from determines how many they can send, so if it's the dark fortress the siege is at full strength (assuming it's full strength dark fortress), but if it's one of the depleted sites you can get much smaller sieges that may also lack the "monster" part. Once the site pop gets low enough the site can't send a siege at all, and with the current logic it won't be eligible as a source (there was a time during and after 0.40.X where all sieges came from the same site, and even did so when the site was no longer under the control of the gobbo civ, leading to a 50 year break in sieges, after which 30 recruits was sent...).