Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: CTD gremlin (?)  (Read 754 times)

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
CTD gremlin (?)
« on: February 27, 2021, 12:44:09 pm »

0.47.05 using the alpha pack:  DF4705Win64VettlingrsRevenge5a

I've had DF do a few CTD's with this pack (yes it's alpha DFHack I know), but no lasting problems seem to have been caused.
Here's the latest rough sequence of events before it crashed.
1. Tunneled into cave, began smoothing the tunnel & building door and a bridge.
2. Got the "gremlin... drive it away" message and the gremlin was spotted near the tunnel, in the cave.
3. Began getting hundreds of "Hunter cancels hunt, can't find path."  Found the 2 hunters, they are above ground hunting as usual.  The only animals on the surface are giant wrens, no ground animals around up there.
4. Tasked a melee dwarf to kill the gremlin, which promptly left the scene.  Canceled the kill order.
5. Game CTD.

It's probably a longshot, but any ideas?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 02:24:54 pm by Uthimienure »
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
Re: CTD gremlin
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2021, 01:15:49 pm »

I doubt I really understand what CTD stands for, but I'm going to assume it means a crash? If it was game slowing to a halt, you'd be talking about Frames Per Second.... I don't use anything other than vanilla myself, but I can give you my suggestion either way:

If your hunters have set themselves on hunting flying wrens, they might well be having an issue unrelated to the gremlin? Turning off their hunting and letting them do activities other than hunting might help you out, seeing as there's not much to hunt anyhow. You can do this without any extras: Just {u} to the hunter in question, {p}, {l}, and then use the {+} and {-} keys to scroll to Hunting and turn it off. That way you can see whether it's the gremlin or the hunters that are causing your issue, and if there's nothing to hunt anyway, stop them wasting valuable time chasing wrens.

(edit to fix my 4am mistake)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 10:24:08 pm by Thisfox »
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2021, 01:49:27 pm »

CTD means crash to desktop (the game just instantly disappears, but the computer keeps working normally otherwise), I'm using Windows 10.

Thanks for the tip. I've been watching what my hunters go after all along because I like to keep track of what the dorfs are doing, and after 4 game years they only have hunted ground animals. If only flyers are on the map, I haven't noticed them hunting the flyers... they do other jobs instead, and I read the hunting & other announcements habitually.  Yup, I know how to toggle hunting on/off in vanilla, in which I've played a few forts. Typically I use Therapist though.
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2021, 02:24:25 pm »

After playing well past that in-game date, this time not breaching that cavern (thus no gremlin spotted), there has been no weird hunter behavior and no crash. There may be no correlation between the crash and anything I've mentioned, of course. 

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: CTD gremlin (?)
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2021, 05:34:21 pm »

I'd say the hunter cancellation is due to the birds. If they're out of range of game they don't have a path to they won't hunt, but if they happened to be in range they'd start hunting, only to give up when the birds move out of range, which ought to result in the message.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2021, 07:03:49 pm »

And once again, I was wrong.  Now I've seen a hunter going shooting a giant wren. 
Perhaps one just didn't get within range of a hunter before now.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2021, 10:25:54 pm »

Yep. They waste a lot of ammunition that way.

Well, it could be anything in the caverns causing your crash. But the gremlin is a possibility!
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2021, 11:19:37 pm »

Hunters will only start a Hunt job when a flying animal can be reached on foot and it is a high priority job so they will always take a Hunt job over a Haul or Craft job. They start walking and if they get to the spot where the animal was, but the animal is flying high again, they will cancel the job, and if another wren can be walked to, they start a new Hunt job. This is how you can receive a large number of cancelled Hunt jobs due to a group of 6+ low-flying giant wrens and a two hunters.

All dwarfs with crossbows in hand will use them if they see an existing conflict. I think this includes when a hunter sees a wren they previously fired at.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?