Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Better Zoom Controls  (Read 9105 times)

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
Better Zoom Controls
« on: February 27, 2021, 04:53:42 pm »

I've spent a bunch of time working on pixel art for a mod, and one of the conclusions that I came to pretty quickly is that there is a huge difference in visual quality when your zoom level is set to an integer (x1, x2, x5, etc), as opposed to something like a 358% zoom. Depending on the algorithm being used, you either end up with a really blurry image, or one that looks misshapen because some of the art's pixels are actually assigned more pixels on the screen.

To that end, I had two ideas for the steam version of DF:

1) Give an option to lock the zoom increment so that you only get 100%, 200%, etc.

2) And/or: Display the zoom level on the screen as part of the new UI. If you can't lock to specific increments, at least give people an easy way to see what zoom level they have.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Better Zoom Controls
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2021, 07:22:22 am »

Already on the list of suggestions, nevertheless: Good suggestion. :)

My proposal was to go from 32x to 24x to 16x with a hotkey, but keep the mousewheel for the free zoom.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2021, 12:57:20 pm »

My proposal was to go from 32x to 24x to 16x with a hotkey, but keep the mousewheel for the free zoom.

That's a very elegant way to do it, just so long as it also supports zooming in, too!  ;) Not that I imagine I would play much zoomed in, but I think it really helps for screenshots.

evthestrike

• Bay Watcher
  • Fire Clay Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2021, 03:44:56 pm »

Could you add an option to reassign the hotkeys to different values like 18x or even non square values like 12x18?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 03:47:31 pm by evthestrike »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2021, 09:59:07 pm »

Could you add an option to reassign the hotkeys to different values like 18x or even non square values like 12x18?

24x is already dicey with the scaling, 12x18 would be 2.666... pixels per horizontal pixel to scale and 1.777... per vertical

leastannoyingman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2022, 01:34:56 pm »

Any updates on the feasibility of smooth zooming (similar to RimWorld)? PatrikLundell said in 2019 (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173474.msg7965728#msg7965728) that tackling it would be impossible until the M&M map rewrite, as it relies on the availability of mid-level tile data, but that even then it's doubtful.