Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is there a way to order a cage trap to be built with the manager?  (Read 746 times)

TofteTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have designated cage traps and the mechanisms were set but the cages weren't (I think). The cages show dark green and not bright green and I think that means they are not set yet.
Is there a way to speed up the hauling of cages to them?
I looked in manager for build \ construct\ anything with cage trap in it but nothing.
Did I miss something?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a way to order a cage trap to be built with the manager?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2021, 12:54:22 am »

Dorfs will refill the cage traps automatically (eventually). No need for the manager. Assign a few haulers to a burrow consisting of only the animal pile (where the cages are stored) and the trap site to speed things up a little.

(Might need mechanic labor enabled? I forget)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 12:56:46 am by Shonai_Dweller »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2021, 03:44:43 am »

As Shonai_Dweller said, the Manager can be used for production, but has no role in construction. Cage traps are automatically loaded into constructed cage traps by mechanics. Thus, you should remove all other jobs from the mechanics and suspend all other mechanics related tasks to get your mechanics to focus on cage trap loading.

However, I rarely have a problem with cage trap loading (the exception is when I run out of empty cages because they're all full of prisoners, at which time I get "no empty cage" cancellation spam).

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2021, 12:53:06 pm »

You might set up a small stockpile for empty cages near your trap line, so haulers will keep a supply on hand and the mechanics won't have to go as far when loading the traps.  Also makes it easy to see when you're running low on cages.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2021, 04:30:44 pm »

I keep an order with the manager to make new cages whenever we run low. Seems there's always a bunch of monkeys triggering them right before a siege...

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2021, 05:26:45 pm »

I keep an order with the manager to make new cages whenever we run low. Seems there's always a bunch of monkeys triggering them right before a siege...
I keep cages in my carpenter workshop on repeat, together with at least beds, but still run out of cages from time to time. It's a lot of work to process all the prisoners, and it takes several decades to fully build the trap defenses (especially when you have to rip them up and redo them due to performance troupe spies reporting them back to their civ).

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2021, 05:44:52 pm »

I keep cages in my carpenter workshop on repeat, together with at least beds, but still run out of cages from time to time. It's a lot of work to process all the prisoners, and it takes several decades to fully build the trap defenses (especially when you have to rip them up and redo them due to performance troupe spies reporting them back to their civ).
And all our planning will be for nought come Improved Sieges when goblins will send hordes of kidnapped children to trigger all our traps before the soldiers move in (#wishful thinking).

TofteTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2021, 06:02:06 pm »

Thanks. I just made all my dorfs mechanics.