Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Building towards contentment  (Read 758 times)

Pepijn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Building towards contentment
« on: March 01, 2021, 07:00:07 pm »

I'm making this topic in hopes that it will lead to something that will be easy to Google for people playing that are having the same trouble as myself.

I've looked and failed to find. A clear answer as to create the conditions that lead a high overall happiness. Now I realize things will go wrong tragedy will strike, not looking for "the perfect run" here.

It just seems to me that with a good 40-50% of my dwarves they can not get them selves out of what ever "stress hole" they end up in. Others pop right out. Now I'm not talking about the small % of migrants with traits that should have gotten them killed before they ever came to me. Such as a 2 in gratitude a 5 in anxiety propensity and a 0 (that's high) in violence (que criminal minds intro)

I'm talking about a well adjusted beaurocrat with respect for the law in the position of my guard captain with a light work schedule unable to fulfill their needs leading them to tantrum mutilating a dog a father and child. Throwing them in jail for a month (because multiple murders Is just disorderly conduct). Only to be released more upset. and going on a murder spree in my cathedral. Because recidivism probability just isn't factored in upon release.

I have made some observations that may or may not be correct feel free to tell me an idiot.
The ability to seek happiness seems to rely heavily on the dwarf's "focus" if they are unfocused they are not likely to get satisfaction from their pursuits. So no mater how much they prey/meditate, they can't turn the corner. This  pattern is reminiscent of the Pareto Distribution principle. Where those with more get more. And those with less get less. Kind of like that awefull game Monopoly. What can I do to fix this or harden my system to prevent it? Is there a cheat, a mod that allow me to give my dorfs ssri's?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 07:14:54 pm by Pepijn »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Building towards contentment
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2021, 07:51:33 pm »

First, very important, are you playing 47.05?
Stress is completely different (and still under Science) in the latest version. Thus far the impression is that it's very rare to get more than a few stressed dwarves now.

(Intensive Science under 47.04 proved that focus is not directly related to stress except in that unfocused dwarves do everything slower. Which, yes, may be a problem with doing things that make a dwarf happy before the next Meeting to cry on the mayor is called).

Science on stress in 44.11-47.04 (old versions)
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=171185.msg7795315#msg7795315

Science on current version (47.05):
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=177991.msg8241603#msg8241603
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 07:56:57 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Pepijn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2021, 08:21:55 pm »

are you playing 47.05?
I'm playing 47.04 I think it's because I downloaded the LNP from the DF wiki and it's still .04
 I see they made some happiness updates ! I'll see if I can figure out how to update it while maintaining my saves. Perhapse it'll change everything. I imagine it'll help, but I'll take any good dorfing wisdom on the topic.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2021, 08:26:51 pm »

are you playing 47.05?
I'm playing 47.04 I think it's because I downloaded the LNP from the DF wiki and it's still .04
 I see they made some happiness updates ! I'll see if I can figure out how to update it while maintaining my saves. Perhapse it'll change everything. I imagine it'll help, but I'll take any good dorfing wisdom on the topic.
There isn't much Science yet on how to recover a stressed 47.05 dwarf yet (because there just aren't many) so give it a go and see what happens. Save should just copy over (there were minor changes to grasshopper raws that you'll need to add manually if you really want them, but really not anything that you need to worry about).

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2021, 11:14:59 am »

Save should just copy over (there were minor changes to grasshopper raws that you'll need to add manually if you really want them, but really not anything that you need to worry about).

Do we know if the stress changes apply to existing dwarves from earlier saves, or just new migrants / births?  I usually just generate a new world every release.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2021, 12:44:23 pm »

The new mechanics should be applied to the migrated save, but the migrated dorfs would migrate with their previous state, so if they were highly stressed due to having been rained on they will be migrated as highly stressed, but shouldn't accumulate as much stress from rain from then on. Bad memories (such as ones of being rained upon) would remain on the migrated dorfs. Whether those memories will be replaced by memories that are now higher priority or not likely depends on whether the memory severity is part of the memory or part of the memory replacement logic.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2021, 10:36:52 pm »

In 47.05 I "saved" one nervous dwarf from stress accumulation, a migrant that spend a couple of years in the military and fought some undead and witnessed dwarfs die, and had 6 worshipped deities.

At 9k stress I noticed their stress, reviewed their thoughts, noted many needs to pray, removed their hauling labors, pulled them out of the military (lack of military training was not a stress and access to a barracks might interfere with needed praying), gave them a seasonal job order in a workshop to ensure they had some crafting work, gave them a legendary bedroom, had them move wearable crafts between stockpiles in a locked room until they picked up enough items, and reviewed occasionally.

Stress continued to climb to about 19k, with new unhappy thoughts about "dwelling on", then stress started to drop (I was watching this closely because this was "grandma", with 15+ kids/grandkids in the fort). My rough assessment is that their stress peak at 19k was the result of overlaps of being unhappy about something and dwelling on being unhappy about something (maybe the same something, maybe a older instance of that something). I don't recall their focus and can't access the save at this time.

How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?