Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So, are adventure pets (exotic) broken, or are megabeasts still not tameable?  (Read 995 times)

Walkaboutout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I know the latest patch notes said that at least some instances of hostile, tamed (in fort mode) megabeasts have been fixed, but I'm wondering what's still broken here.

For example, I embarked with an adventurer party of around 15 guys (long story, trying things, lol), and two were outsiders, each with a pet War hydra. I altered the hydra pet value to 1, from 10000, in order to experiment with them in this, thus allowing me to purchase them as an outsider. Unfortunately, what I found was that the 2 war hydras were immediately hostile to everyone around them, including each other, and their masters.

Starting that way with the adventurer party (in a player made fort), then taking no actions, retiring the party, then un-retiring the fort they were in, had the same results. The two hydras, despite being shown as fort pets, fully domesticated, and as livestock, etc, immediately start being hostile to, as best I can tell, everyone.

Does anyone here know something I don't? Are megabeasts broken in adventurer mode, when starting as an outsider (because, given their default value of 10000, they were never meant to be embarked with)? Is it just because I embarked with 2? Some other issue not perceived of by me?

And with that in mind, can anyone relate experience in 47.05, while in fortress mode, with megabeasts like hydras or dragons? Are they stable in your fort, or causing fights and loyalty cascades still?

Thanks in advance all!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 12:36:58 am by Walkaboutout »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Latest patch fixed a loyalty cascade caused by tame megabeasts. Did you get a loyalty cascade?

Tsov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The answer is yes, they're still broken in adv mode.

Walkaboutout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Latest patch fixed a loyalty cascade caused by tame megabeasts. Did you get a loyalty cascade?

No I haven't. I was just wondering if I could save myself the time of going to the trouble to catch some in this fort playthrough (since the embarking with them thing didnt work) and ask if someone here already had some experience with it. But no, no cascades that I've yet experienced in 47.05 that pertained to megabeasts.

I HAVE however, in 47.05, still had problems with visitors that resulted in loyalty cascades. They seemed far less severe than ones in previous versions, but they were still cascades. As best I could tell, of the three I've seen, they were centered on my Tavern area, and two of them started with a lethal fight with a goblin visitor. Mind you, I'm not certain, because it's hard to tell, but I think so. I know goblins have some particular personality traits that might make them prone to fighting that isn't labeled by the system as a tavern brawl, or they're visitors and throwing tantrums that turn lethal, but in every instance my dwarves sided against each other, which doesn't strike me as intended behavior.

Also, thank you Tsov. It seemed like there must be some problems there for sure, which is too bad. Ah well, hopefully the almighty Toad will get that fixed at some point; embarking with modded megabeasts is hardly a priority (or even really intended), but it certainly would be fun, lol :D
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 12:21:16 pm by Walkaboutout »

Walkaboutout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, it doesn't seem to me like megabeasts in forts are fully fixed, either. Some circumstances must still remain a problem, because I just had an incident where a recently caged, tamed, pastured dragon (freshly trained to semi-wild, but not having reverted at all) was hostile on sight of my military dwarves. Maybe this is part of the whole, "once a megabeast kills a dwarf, it's got problems" thing that the Wiki mentions under the taming section. Seems like once a megabeast, basically, becomes historical with a kill it won't function properly as a tamed creature, according to what's stated there, and I'd say that appears to be true. Too bad I didn't get to test that with a creature who had no kills. Sigh, ah well. I'm sure we'll get there eventually. So much for that fort!

(EDIT: I'd like to note. There was no loyalty cascade when this mess started. The dragon ignored most of my fort, but my military dwarves came in sight of the dragon, and instead of ignoring each other, they immediately fought. No others ended up in a fight though. Just the unfortunate military dwarves, and the now tame dragon they apparently mistook for an enemy.)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 02:03:53 am by Walkaboutout »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The bug fix description in the latest release didn't mention fixing auto hostility between military and trained megabeasts, only trained megabeasts as the source of a loyalty cascade with another trigger, so I'm not sure there's even been an attempt to fix the megabeast-military hostility bug.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The bug fix description in the latest release didn't mention fixing auto hostility between military and trained megabeasts, only trained megabeasts as the source of a loyalty cascade with another trigger, so I'm not sure there's even been an attempt to fix the megabeast-military hostility bug.
Pretty sure megabeasts haven't been touched besides the loyalty cascade bug. This whole thread is based on a misconception.

Walkaboutout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

To be clear here, this thread began with questions on the current state of megabeasts in forts and adventure mode. Not with misconceptions. But rather with questions on the current status of various setups. I tried to be quite clear (but perhaps failed) that I was interested in various states of megabeasts, under different circumstances. From adventure mode, to loyalty cascade stuff, to general stability. I find it frustrating when motives are ascribed to actions, that are not based on truth.