Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Beta Testers Wanted: CloudFort Community Fortress Server Test  (Read 1635 times)

DrCyano

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile

Greetings!

I am looking for Dwarf Fortress players to test my fortress sharing program, CloudFort. CloudFort is a custom launcher for Dwarf Fortress which connects to a server to automatically share a fortress save with anyone, anywhere!

I plan to run this server as a test for about a month. If all goes well, then I'll keep it going (and if it all goes to hell in a handbag, then I might have to terminate it earlier). I make no guarantees about the quality of content produced by other players.

CloudFort Community Server Address:
cloudfort.plantabyte.net:131317

If you're willing to participate or you would like to join the community server, here's all you need to do:
  • Download CloudFort.exe (or CloudFort_Linux) from the CloudFort release page and place it in your Dwarf Fortress game folder (right next to Dwarf Fortress.exe, or df on linux)
  • Run CloudFort.exe and enter a name to be called by (any name you like), then enter the community server address above (cloudfort.plantabyte.net:13137)
  • Checkout an available world save. Dwarf Fortress will automatically start after the world downloads
  • Play Dwarf Fortress! You have 8 hours to play before the world expires.
  • When you quit Dwarf Fortress, CloudFort will ask if you are ready to check-in the save. Click "yes" to save your changes back to the community server and wait for the upload to finish.
  • Post tales and screenshots of your exploits on this forum, as well as any suggestions or feedback on using CloudFort

Community guidelines:
  • Please be civil and avoid insults when talking about your turn on a fortress
  • You are encouraged to pick-up where the previous player left off, but are not obligated to do so. It is perfectly fine to retire the fortress and start a new one (or even go into adventurer mode)
  • Also, please accept that the next player may retire or abandon your fortress/adventurer after you finish playing. You can always go back and reclaim your old fortress
  • If you encounter a bug with CloudFort, please take a screenshot or write down the whole error message and post it here. If you can, try to replicate the bug to confirm it.
  • I hope it doesn't happen, but please report any abusive behavior if you encounter it.

CloudFort Community Server Worlds:
The Fortress Islands
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The Haunted Sea

The Infernal Desert

The Isle of Chaos
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 01:47:34 am by DrCyano »

A mad scientist necromancer, a peasant with a dream, a secret message inscribed on a gem, a giant bridge.
Come witness the Saga of the Puzzling Sea!
A documented Dwarf Fortress v0.47.xx game combining Fort Mode and Adventure Mode.

DrCyano

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
Re: Beta Testers Wanted: CloudFort Community Fortress Server Test
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2021, 04:02:35 am »

I'll get things rolling by taking a turn on The Infernal Desert

The story begins in a harsh desert that has seen the dwarves nearly wiped from existence like sand in the wind.

Our heroes hail from the thoroughly defeated, former dwarf nation called Tjhe Crested Ships, who were cruelly subjugated many years ago by their eternal foe, the goblins of The Respectful Ticks (who, in all fairness, are indeed quite respectful when not out conquering dwarves)

A band of 7 sets out to reclaim one of their long abandoned hold-outs.
These 7 brave souls are:
Vutok - Leader and part-time scholar
Zefon - Mercenary
Besmar - Farmer
Monom - Engineer
Fikod - Medic
Ingish - Trader
Inod - Clerk

Vutok, the expedition leader, and his small band of heroes (actually, most of them were just unemployed office workers) trek across the desert. They find the place abandoned, yet undisturbed; preserved by the dry desert air. The library is still full of books, including this gem:

Soon after arriving, thirst sets in. Damp stone was discovered not far beneath the old entrance, so they remove the floor tiles and begin to dig a well, but despite the expedition leader's heroic sacrifice while digging the well (a rock accidentally fell on his head), they remain with no water and a dwindling supply of alcohol.

What will happen next?...
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 04:25:42 am by DrCyano »

A mad scientist necromancer, a peasant with a dream, a secret message inscribed on a gem, a giant bridge.
A documented Dwarf Fortress v0.47.xx game combining Fort Mode and Adventure Mode.

BluarianKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • Gimme a soul, sailor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2021, 11:51:22 am »

This is interesting! I'll have to give it a try when I'm free.
A beautiful lesbian trans lass, I'll punch ya dork.

BluarianKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • Gimme a soul, sailor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2021, 11:21:51 am »

Putting my claim to the Haunted Sea.

BluarianKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • Gimme a soul, sailor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2021, 11:54:39 pm »

This Cloudfort is real fucky - can't pull out a world or put one in it seems. Real annoying.

DrCyano

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2021, 01:55:08 pm »

Oh no! Was it listed as 'available'? Did it download? Did you get an error message?