Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: [Community Mod 50.05] Teh LOLmod 1.10  (Read 17139 times)

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
Re: [Community Mod 47.05] Teh LOLmod 1.9.1
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2021, 01:17:11 pm »

We do have cave men, and hippies (also known as elves).

But feel free to contribute if you come up with any idea you don’t dislike. :)

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2021, 12:22:19 pm »

I made some more graphics this past month of may, perhaps best shown with a "screenshot".

As some dwarves are standing 'round their wagon, a martian tripod is approaching. A slenderman, flying spaghetti monster*, two bad piggies, and some pepes (including a giant one) are also hanging around.

*though this is an inaccuracy, FSM is fictional even within teh LOLmod. You'll be able to make statues depicting it though.

While doing so I was reminded just how large this mod is. There's a lot to do, and the pace I'm doing this isn't very fast. Anyhow, this lead to the decision to put up the checklist of all-things-that-need-sprites on pastebin, instead of keeping it for myself. I'll still chug along with making/gathering sprites, but this will hopefully make it easier to participate. I'll update it whenever I make something, and if anyone wants to do a sprite (or has done it) just post it here in the thread and I'll check it off.
...This is a community mod, so maybe I should have done this from the get-go.

Here's the checklist.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2021, 09:48:37 pm »

Really liking that art. I’ve already got a lot of drawing to do, but I should be done with making tiles for Primal soon, at least. Feel free to use the art from that for the lasersaurs.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2021, 09:56:49 am »

Thanks! Maybe half of the sprites are ”borrowed” from various sources, perler patterns being surprisingly helpful, but still mostly games. The lasersaurs will look lovely!

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2021, 10:41:28 am »

Here's another update on the spritework. Thanks to Enemy Post there are now sprites for the lasersaurs lurking in the caverns.

Cower, or be turned into a sieve!

Spoiler: and more sprites (click to show/hide)

I've got a question about the chads. They have three castes: Stacy (female), Chad (male), and "Chad Thundercock". Chad Thundercock is a huge megabeast, and by the raws a straight-up copy of a bronze colossus, turned into a caste. However, the way they are now they just have a layer of bronze outside normal organic tissues. Do you think I should change this, so they are 100% bronze? This also ties into the graphics, as I reckon a 100% bronze chad should probably look all bronze, but maybe less so if it's just a coating.

Also one regarding the drill and chainsaw. These were lifted from Terraria. I feel their handle designs may be a little non-dwarfy though, especially as all vanilla weapons/tools have wooden handles/shafts/hilts. What are your thoughts?

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2021, 02:30:06 pm »

Regarding the chads, I've got to admit, I usually don't like the unpredictable behavior caused by mixing creature types on the caste level, but that's just me.

I'd recommend leaving them with only bronze skin, since there's going to be a lot more of them in the world than real colossi. Also, whoever made them was probably making a pun on "bronzed skin."

As for the chainsaws, I don't think making them all metal is an issue. The LOLmod is about as far from vanilla as you can get, and even the vanilla weapons are all actually solid metal if you look closely. This is true even if it doesn't make sense, such as with whips.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2021, 05:03:54 pm »

Good points. The chad will have bronze skin, and I'll stop worrying about the drills and chainsaws.
I agree putting too much into castes can get pretty messy, especially when the castes have different use cases/behaviors (being sapient/non-sapient/megabeast/night creature), but there's a lot of it and low priority for now. And the other chads turned out to be semimegas, so that specific mixing should not be too bad. Anyways, here's a mockup of a bronzed chad:

Also, a new version is up. Mostly bugfixes and but I also took the freedom to add AOC and Kamala Harris to the list of politicians.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2021, 11:07:17 pm »

Slenderman? Chads? FSM and AOC? What even did this mod turn into?  :o This is fantastic   :D
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
Re: [Community Mod 47.05] Teh LOLmod 1.9.12
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2021, 01:36:46 pm »

The last month has been a busier one for me, but I've made some new sprites.

Spoiler: misc. sprites (click to show/hide)

The gunfolk, who are just sentient guns (pistols, rifles, shotguns, SMGs or miniguns).

The different colors are just different casing colors, like dwarvesforumites have different skin color from one another. I don't plan to make clothing for them, but they should still have something to show their profession. Maybe little flags (and a crown for the "top gun")?

And finally, the lulz (on the left) and evulz (on the right). I noticed these were more or less exact copies of the vanilla gnome and dark gnome, so I gave them original designs. The lulz is based on the lulz smilie while the evulz is also based on the Joker, because when I picture-searched for "evulz" that's what I got we live in a society.
I also changed that in the raws, so there's now a TLM 1.9.12 if anyone cares to download it for this very minor aesthetic difference.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2021, 02:13:38 pm »

I really like how the gunfolk turned out.
My mods and forum games.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2021, 04:02:57 pm »

I’m glad you do :)

Ninjedit: they’re a really funny concept, the gunfolk. Big creds to the person who came up with them in the first place.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
Re: [Community Mod 50.05] Teh LOLmod 1.10
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2023, 01:39:28 pm »

After perhaps too long time Teh LOLmod is back, now for DF v50 (here's the download)!
The new system for mods should help this one be used with any other mods, which is a big positive, but it also has a bit of jank preventing some old features from working. Forumite noble titles*, chips, and the old way burgers/sausages worked, to be more precise. Also, a number of the civs (thread necromancers (just the civ, the secret should still exist), trolls, gamers, and hellacopters) would give rejects on worldgen. No idea why, other than "FARMING CIVILIZATION PLACED WITHOUT CROPS" being the error message. On the plus side, the mod still has plenty of things to throw at you.

*Like the hammerer being called "banhammerer". Technically these could remain, but it'd break a lot of mod compatibility.

As for things that are strictly better now, we can do graphics (though not overwrite vanilla graphics iirc). I probably won't write the requisite graphics raws soon, but all the sprites procured and made are in the graphics folder of the download. So it can be done. And of course anyone (YOU!) may provide graphics, this is a community mod.
There's also a CREDITS.txt showing where everything came from. A fair amount of it is "borrowed" from other media properties, or internet sources. I think this should be fine since TLM is a fan project and not monetized in any way (and no one has a patreon for it either), and that neither the DFFD nor Steam Workshop should object. That said, a careless attitude has lead to a Dwarf Fortress fiasco in the past, so talking about it would be good.
The license for the rest of TLM (the raws) releases it into free use, as I understand it. I personally think something similar would be good, as a principle so the modding community at large is favored. But obviously that can't be done with the sprites we don't own.

If anyone wants to mirror it on Steam Workshop feel free. As the manager, I'll not do it before seeing what impact the forumites who joined with the Premium release have on the mod. And even then I'm unsure, since the mod is full of forum references and it helps having one place to discuss it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
Re: [Community Mod 50.05] Teh LOLmod 1.10
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2023, 12:48:11 pm »

Hey, good to see this is back!
My mods and forum games.
Pages: 1 [2]