Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Horses bugged, blocked or tired?  (Read 3542 times)

Halavus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Horses bugged, blocked or tired?
« on: March 19, 2021, 11:12:58 am »

Hello

Following this question on reddit, I wanted to ask here if someone encountered the same problem?

Tamed horses get sometimes stuck "On the ground", don't move when mounted (the rider dismounts when moving), don't follow when leaded and don't follow the party anymore.
In their status they aren't tired or even wounded. (Which I first thought they would)
Sometimes, fast traveling works and they follow but staying "On the ground" and sometimes they stand up again after fast travelling (not 100% sure about this one, though). Or they just stay where they are.
-Happened to me 2-3 times in different games with different horses
-Seems to always happen after a fight
-Don't know if it happens to other mounts other than horses

Now I'm in a dark pit with a stuck horse on a ramp. Maybe it is stuck because he was fighting on a ramp?
I tried to wait hitting ' . ' thousand times nothing changed. (because waiting Z-w is not permitted in a pit)

Any solution?
Or is it a bug feature?

I'll probably abandon this one, but any clue on this issue is welcome.

HungThir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Horses bugged, blocked or tired?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2021, 06:55:27 pm »

does their description say they're missing feet/legs?

if they lost them in a fight and then you fast travelled, the wounds will heal and won't show up on the health screen anymore. but lost bodyparts don't grow back...

Halavus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2021, 07:35:33 pm »

Oh, that's a good one. Thank you. Can't check anymore but will do the next time it happens.

Halavus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2021, 04:14:20 pm »

It happened again. I think it's a bug.
I had a mounted fight (against some lizard or I don't remember exactly what vermin) in which the horse also attacked and got attacked (but wasn't hit). After the fight he was "on the ground". No injuries, no missing parts.

I could mount it and fast travel: I stood mounted but he was still "on the ground".
After some mounted fast travels - it hauls all my loots - I came across an encounter and engaged it (unmounted), which lead to make the horse stand up to participate to the fight!
I really think it's a bug: the animal kind of forget to stand up to move after a fight. But if he has to (for example to fight) he does.

Should I post in the bug section or does someone have another explanation?

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2021, 10:26:34 pm »

It happened again. I think it's a bug.
I had a mounted fight (against some lizard or I don't remember exactly what vermin) in which the horse also attacked and got attacked (but wasn't hit). After the fight he was "on the ground". No injuries, no missing parts.

I could mount it and fast travel: I stood mounted but he was still "on the ground".
After some mounted fast travels - it hauls all my loots - I came across an encounter and engaged it (unmounted), which lead to make the horse stand up to participate to the fight!
I really think it's a bug: the animal kind of forget to stand up to move after a fight. But if he has to (for example to fight) he does.

Should I post in the bug section or does someone have another explanation?
it could be less they forget to stand and more there's another being on the same tile which prevents them from standing.
and mounting side steps this by placing a unit immobile on the back of a standing unit.
also probably make sure you don't have the mount movement speed set to sprint all the time or they can tire themselves out and crawl around the place or worst pass out.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Halavus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2021, 05:10:13 am »

After experiencing more of this behavior, I'm beginning to think it's some kind of an "unfinished" feature. Horses will lie on the ground after a fight out of fear.
EDIT: maybe because they will participate the fight as a member of your party but aren't war trained.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 05:13:47 am by Halavus »

peli082

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2021, 10:36:33 pm »

The horses's nerves might have been severed. Try using full-heal using dfhack.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2021, 02:30:31 am »

*horse rides adventurer* is what I thought to explain the fast travel working
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Amaranth

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Dodger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2021, 01:27:22 am »

Could it be because you are pushing it too hard and it's getting exhausted but your animal handler skills are too low and you can't observe the animals stats? Maybe try test two different adventurers on the same horse. One with high rider and one with none.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2021, 08:38:54 pm »

Have seen uninjured horses who have been "told to wait here" be in tile range of sapient combat/death, rendered grounded because of the experience.

While there might be a cool down where that horse's stress level does dissipate, Adventure Mode and 2 week world activation may not use this, in the way you never see skill/attri rust.

If this is a case of a bug/the condition is unrecoverable, the workaround I use is to never bring vanilla horses into combat. I have them wait 3+ world map tiles from where ever my character enters combat. Thus they never experience trauma.

Not sure how useful this is.