Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 17

Author Topic: Fishheads - A Succession Fishing Village - 47.05  (Read 28319 times)

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
Re: Fishheads - A Succession Fishing Village - 47.05
« Reply #135 on: May 14, 2021, 08:29:17 am »

One thing I didn’t know how to do was to establish a ‘proper’ smithy, one powered by magma not charcoal (and over the water, of course!) I still have no idea how to haul magma minecarts from the bottom of the world to where I want it to be, and I’ve been looking, too. I know it’s been done in SmallHands with great success, but not how.

Oh, I know the answer to that one. It's actually surprisingly easy: no need for large filling chambers or anything. Two pumps and a track stop will do it.

https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Magma#Design_3:_Minimalist_magma_moving

• Dump a stack of minecarts onto a single tile.
  • Pump magma onto that tile.
  • Pump magma off of that tile.
  • Build track stops set to dump north one tile south of where you want the magma to go.
  • Define a hauling route with a stop on top of the trackstop.
  • Assign one of the magma carts to the hauling route.

It... I went right past it! What the hell! I've BEEN to the wiki page on magma, I wanted to see if there's a list of magma-safe rocks... Meanwhile, I've been chewing my way through the SCIENCE thread, the "how does Magma" thread, and DasTatic's 1 hour long tutorial to minecarts and liquids. (edit: this one too).

I never looked at Legends for FishHeads. But, if previous experience is any good, beasts are a lot weaker when we raid them than when they raid us. So... upping the military looks like a brilliant idea.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 10:15:00 am by StrikaAmaru »
Needs caffeine to get through the working day.
[Sigtext. Contains links to mods, LPs and an index of all the things I wrote on this forum. Does not contain a viable sig. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=49316.msg6860463#msg6860463]

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 14, 2021, 02:52:30 pm »

tl;dr: They have nine hundred and fifty one rocs. And roc's? Roc's aren't even the worst of it. They have worse.
Hot damn. Now I have to go in and see for myself... What a world to build a roofless overground fort in; the enemy has not only flying military units, but megabeast flying military units.

Nothing our brave candy-clad Legendaries can't handle, of course.

We do have brave candy-clad Legendaries already, right? Right?
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 14, 2021, 03:13:16 pm »

Ahahahaha, couldn't resist, I just had to peek what's "worse"; now I can't stop laughing.

This succession game might any moment cross from merely awesome to downright legendary, depending on how much we antagonize these "The Witch of Anger" guys.

Uhhh... welcome?

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
  • Developing a race, explosive booze and death traps
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 14, 2021, 03:59:13 pm »

it could also be hilariously anticlimactic, as a megabeast, the moment it sees a dwarven soldier (unsure about goblin ones, time for !!SCIENCE!!) then it would go bonkers
Urist McRecon cancels make exploding booze: Interrupted by bad idea
Urist McRecon cancels bad idea: missing raw files
Urist McRecon cancels add raw files: Interrupted by fortress mode
Urist McRecon cancels play fortress mode: Needs exploding booze
Urist McRecon cancels acquire exploding booze: No materials

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 14, 2021, 04:22:24 pm »

In my initial horror that they were actually using the war animals, I missed some of the more fun elements in StrikaAmaru's siege. I assume they just showed up to say "That's a wonderful pier you've got there. Shame if something were to happen to it..."

They had war walrus's. Warlruses.

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/illustratingreddit/comments/vqby2/war_walrus_v2/

That's amazing. :D

Anyway, BluarianKnight
I've got a few plans - and to finish them will take risks.
You, uh... you may want to reconsider some of those plans.

First of all, permission granted to lower the siege cap in the LNP or d_init.txt, whichever you're using. I was thinking of halving it, but given the possibility of an entire squad of megabeasts accompanying their sieges, I think maybe go even lower, all the way down to Soldier Cap: 30, Monster Cap: 15

We can always crank it up later if that turns out to be too weaksauce.

Beyond that, I also highly recommend turning an area of the fortress into a panic room. Ensure that area is completely sealed from the outside, such that even a flying, swimming building destroyer can't get in, and stock it with everything you need to wait out a siege.

(Edit) Looking on the bright side, all of this means we have access to some really !!fun!! tame animals simply by raiding the goblins with intent to steal livestock. Forget war grizzlies, we could protect our dwarves with war Giant Polar Bears. And keep Giant Saltwater Crocodiles for eggs!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 04:33:32 pm by QuQuasar »

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 14, 2021, 08:17:41 pm »

All of this news is ridiculous and amazing. Wonderful journals Strika! But, that first siege, a scouting party? It was like something out of my dreams! Almost 1000 flying death rats and they hate our guts. And our wall .. our poor, pitiful wall I spent all those weeks fixing up.

A lowered siege cap sounds good, but lets not forget to raise it later should we ever train a jen-you-ine, state-of-the-art dwarven military.

Anyone know if that old bug was fixed that let fliers pass through diagonal gaps in contructions? I remember you could build a sealed box but fliers would still penetrate through the 'gaps' left between the ceiling floor tiles and the constructed walls. IIRC it was fixed, but considering the 'ghost-dodge' issue is still a thing (dodging through solid walls) I kind of suspect otherwise.

In any case, I triple-suggest a safe room. If only to save your time from save-scumming when the Rocs do finally arrive, and fall upon our open-air dock complex and tear our poor children into (very tenderized) dwarven nuggets.

(Edit) Looking on the bright side, all of this means we have access to some really !!fun!! tame animals simply by raiding the goblins with intent to steal livestock. Forget war grizzlies, we could protect our dwarves with war Giant Polar Bears. And keep Giant Saltwater Crocodiles for eggs!

I had no idea this was how it worked! TRAIN THE MILITARY TRAIN THE MILITARY, WE HAVE OPPRESSED CROCODILES WARLRUSES TO RESCUE
« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 03:26:44 am by Salmeuk »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 15, 2021, 03:34:39 am »

Given all the !!Fun!! things being talked about I'd like a dwarf, just to see how long it'll last when the !!fun!! arrives.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

BluarianKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • Gimme a soul, sailor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 15, 2021, 02:20:09 pm »

Given all the !!Fun!! things being talked about I'd like a dwarf, just to see how long it'll last when the !!fun!! arrives.

Will do.

The Spring update should be late tomorrow - I'll have the file done a day or two after and uploaded, but might be a little bit before I post every update - just being a damned perfectionist.
A beautiful lesbian trans lass, I'll punch ya dork.

BluarianKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • Gimme a soul, sailor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 15, 2021, 10:21:25 pm »

Spring.

“-So, as I was saying, Blue - it’s yer job to run Fishheads - do as ye wish.”

Giving power to a single individual for a year - an Armok-given right to any real fort of value. It can produce great results.. But of course, not all men are equal.

I’ve been cooking for years - fish. Fish. FISH. MORE FISH.

I am a killer - a warrior at times, I can fight, I can do more then spend my days cutting open salty carcasses. I love the seas as much as any other who decided this, but I wanted.. Variety to my day.

I think I have a general process of what my first plans are - we still have some caged prisoners. The previous innovations have laid to the fortress - but it is time for some luxury. First, the Mayor - their accommodations are alright, but for my plans, far too small for what will be needed. An expansion to their north is being made.

Given with that, an overlook has left me scratching my head - this place is a bloody mess. It took me far too long to find important levers - some of them in the strangest damn places. Something to work towards.

I’ve got a list now, something to begin working on - from notes, a panic room of some sort may be the best main project - leaving my side project to cook as I prepare..

To finish off my first thoughts - I’ll start cooking more lavish meals.. We’ve plenty to work on. It’ll be easy this way.

Id’s gone to depression.

Not our Miner - the Doctor. She’s lost it entirely. Another sad soul to this damn place.

A sad state of affairs. But in other news - the Main Hall is being built - gabbro and iron flooring, and soon statues of the only dwarf worth a name - some may call it a waste, but we have plenty. A new squadron is being assigned with this - the Aquamarine Guard.

Why? Well, there’ll be some changes.

“What do you mean, ‘unreasonable’? I was bloody elected! It is my law!”

The Mayor, Edem, was being unreasonable - Mail shirts were good, but demands from such a.. Lowly official was making demands. I met with him after putting down the knife - for good, this time. At least, until I sorted the mess of this fortress.

“You heard of Id, did you not? Our Chief Medical dwarf, wandering the halls, lost in her mind - she may heal bodies, but it is your objective to heal minds, is it not?”

“Do not da-” His words were cut by the introduction to the Aquamarine Guard.

“Zultan - it is good you’ve come.”

A simple nod from the dwarf is all I need - nicknames, changing of the names.. It gives power, I feel - those who choose to wipe the slate. It’s why I chose him to lead the five-man squad. Not Hammerers - I have no wish to inflict such brutality yet, but.. A team of those I wish to be the best. As such, the armor is being made - but still, the intimidation of five dwarves is enough to convince our dear Mayor to stand down.

Alongside that, we’ve begun to outfit the Aquamarine Guard with the proper equipment to guard effectively - perhaps I’ll update the later upgrades to ensure proper safety..

Ah, as time has gone by - the prepared chambers is almost complete - just the roof to be done for a proper throne room is to be built. I’m building it as a general meeting/panic room as well, to ensure any difficult sieges can be handled in relative safety. Zultan thinks we should avoid such wasteful spend of resources - to focus on making a ‘proper panic room’, but.. That can wait. This will be enough for now.

Swimatorium - I’ve been told of that.. Truth be told, I had no idea how it worked, so I sent the fishermilitia inside to test it - once they realized water was pouring in, they jumped onto tables to avoid being forced to learn a damn thing.

Oh well - perhaps we could make a better training program..

“The elves are leaving.” Zultan spoke out, sat beside the small mayor’s office, as Blue raised his head from the paperwork, raising an eyebrow.

“We had elves?”

“Yes. They found no trade, so they are leaving..”

Blue sighed, rubbing his eyes gently. “Let them go then - perhaps at another date I’d try to get some worth from the caravan but.. Not now. How goes the cage-traps?”

The stoic squad leader stands tall. “We’ve captured a small group of horseshoe crab animalmen.”

Hm.

The Mayor leaned back, rubbing his chin - an idea building in his head. “We could use a third army.. Do you think they’re dumb enough.. We could toss them in a small ‘village’, and let them breed? Once they build large enough.. We set them against a siege.”

Zultan shrugged. “We could try.”

It had begun to rain - gentle humming against the rock building - a thundering hum.

A new construction. I’m excited - the boy has taken a Craftsdwarf workshop, and he’s taken some bones.. And other things - I wasn’t too certain, focusing on construction elsewhere..

But eventually, it is made;

Oh.

Oh. This will do excellently.

The girl deserves a proper nickname for her excellency - for now, Aqua, but she deserves to be given a better name at some point..

Ah. It’s time to wrap up my journaling for now - I’ve worked on some smaller additions - wheelbarrows, added food to the bunker, things that don’t require a full explanation until the end of Winter.

So Spring came out far sooner then expected - I thought I'd try to be a bit more.. flair? Every good story has good and bad, and I'd thought I'd try to play a rather unhappy dwarf planning on changing their path.

Dorfed Zultan as the leader of the newest squad - a fully kitted out mace squad that should be a good start. Didn't do all ten because I wanted to make sure they were equipped first.

The panic room/throne room is built off the hive room (which I DO NOT know how to do) and is a combination of meeting hall, artifact storage, and panic room, with some food storage being put in there just in case. I can't wait to show it off fully made.

I don't know how the hell the Swimatorium works. I'm certain it's broken.

Any complaints just let me know - this is my first succession fort, so I'll probably mess something up.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 16, 2021, 07:20:11 am »

At the end of this post are some instructions on how to use the Swimatorium.

It was proven to work during the first short test I was able to run on it. It still should work... provided no one punched holes to it or dismantled machinery or anything like that. Apparently someone was using it as a storage space at some point but it shouldn't affect its function.

Uhhh... welcome?

BluarianKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • Gimme a soul, sailor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 16, 2021, 09:11:29 am »

At the end of this post are some instructions on how to use the Swimatorium.

It was proven to work during the first short test I was able to run on it. It still should work... provided no one punched holes to it or dismantled machinery or anything like that. Apparently someone was using it as a storage space at some point but it shouldn't affect its function.

That's it then - there's still stuff in there, so people are standing on them.

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
  • Developing a race, explosive booze and death traps
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 16, 2021, 09:42:40 am »

ye can't help a dwarf not wanting to get his beard wet more than neccessary.
Urist McRecon cancels make exploding booze: Interrupted by bad idea
Urist McRecon cancels bad idea: missing raw files
Urist McRecon cancels add raw files: Interrupted by fortress mode
Urist McRecon cancels play fortress mode: Needs exploding booze
Urist McRecon cancels acquire exploding booze: No materials

BluarianKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • Gimme a soul, sailor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 16, 2021, 07:39:44 pm »

Should get the file out by tomorrow - things have been quiet, just taking a while to write up.

BluarianKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • Gimme a soul, sailor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 18, 2021, 02:31:06 pm »

SUMMER

I found out the problem with the swimatorium - someone left a bunch of crap in it. I had the laborers move most of it out. I sent Zultan and the Aquamarine Guard inside to sit in there - they’ll learn quickly, hopefully. I want to ensure that they don’t have any accidents while I’m around.

As well, the people elected Edem to Mayor once more - none of that. I may need to deal with him..

Other problems first, though. I’ve extended upward - the third floor for the major crafting area, giving a roof for already-used areas, as well as allowing planned expansion projects for future overseers - we’re running short on room, after all.

Unib - one of the Aquamarine Guard, has given birth! It’s a miracle, and one that I am quite proud of - she was slacking from the chambers, so luckily the child was not born nearly drowned. I have marked her an Aquamarine Child - and plans for her too.

Talking of advancing the Guard.. A new squad should probably be in the works. I’ve noticed a few folks struggling while working - the cloth weavers, most of them are just.. Unhappy. I’ve sent word to make a new squad - Crossbowdwarves, with armor made of shells.. A worthy militia. The Shulker Militia.

Truth be told - the last three months have been insanely quiet - allowing me to build up a few structures. It does look like things will be good until Fall-

Well we can just work with tha-

Oh.

Fudge.

Looks like a Honey badger is loose - it was attacking Staalo - Let’s send someone down to help her ou-

Ah. Staalo is scary.

She was actually peeved when Onol, one of the Aquamarine Guard, came over after training to take the creature off her - I’ll pay her back later. Maybe give her a squad of her own..

Onol’s battle with the beast was surprising - she had left her mace with her, just passing by to get a drink when she wandered onto the fight. With just her wooden shield, she’s been beating the poor thing into a damn pulp.

I’ve sent Zultan with the rest of the guard to put the thing out of it’s misery - it’s kind of scary seeing her beat the thing into a pulp, in the main hall too.

Ah - good and bad news.

Bad news, Id finally took her life - rotted away in a corner of the fortress, a terrible way to go. I won’t let her name be forgotton- she’ll be buried in the Grand Hall, as will all be remembered, alongside our memories of the fallen.

Good news however, the boy’s claimed a craftsdwarf station.. Up in the blue tower. I didn’t even know we had one of those there - note to future Overseers, this place needs some bloody standarization.

Congratulations to the blacksmith for the child - More lives to raise into prosperous citizens of Fishheads.

Now, with that out the of way, I believe I can finally show one of my projects;

The Prison - a place for criminals to repent their ways. If they don’t.. We have the bridges for a reason.  Now, with such loyalty in the way, we need a good prisoner to ensure it’s usefulness - oh, look at that!

Good. He needed to be taught a lesson - and I can ensure the prison works properly..

“You want us to what?”

Asmel Ritkolkol picked up the hefy, rugged iron mace, weighing it in her hands alongside four other of her companions. Kogsak and Stukos were among them, two of her friends in the fortress. They’d been approached by the Aquamarine Captain - the rugged enforcer of the new Overseer’s will. While he was.. Pragmatic, it was far from her interest to become the next to anger the Overseer, after seeing what the previous Mayor had been laid onto for his ‘crimes’.

“Join the Guard. We have five positions available - you five show the best potential, alongside the least interruption of workflow. Something’s still in the caverns, and if we plan on ever going down there again, we’ll need at least one full squadron.”

He was stubborn - after some quiet talk among themselves.. Asmel walked forward.

“Fine. We’ll do it.”

Onol ran into me the other day - Demanding she was given a new pair of gauntlets. When I asked why..

You remember that Honey Badger she bludgeoned senseless? While she didn’t get the killing blow, when she overheard that someone made a pair of gauntlets for it, she begged me for it - of course, I relented. Best not to piss of your companions, right?

Oh, to mention - I’ve joined in on their training. I wish to be more important, and I suspect I won’t be allowed to be a Mayor forever.. So I plan on gaining some experience.

Talking of experience - the kid finally started construction on that project.. Possessed or something. Let’s see what he makes.

Oh - oh shit, I hadn’t even realized.. It’s -

Autumn

Damn, missed that. Caravan’s here, alongside a liaison..

I asked for some pets, some steel, and some instruments for next year’s caravan - try to get what you can, next overseer.

Also, it seems our original overseer was incredibly pleased - drinking himself to joyous drunken stupor at the sight of their request - 200% price for fish. Well, close, but still..

Anyhow..

Oh. Now that’s intriguing. The boy’s potential is great, let’s see who his parents are so I can give one of them thi-

Oh.

A perfect addition to Zultan, then.

I’ve traded a lot of fish surplus to get a significant amount of iron equipment, and books - I wish to have a library and better armor fitted before my time here is at an end.

Autumn passed quickly - truth be told, not much to give to it, past finishing the third floor of the major construction. Things have been calm - a shame for further overseers.

Late Autumn already and we’ve little to show for it, yet.

A boy’s been birthed - perhaps it’s time to put some effort in a school system? I want to make sure those we birth aren’t forced into jobs of necessity - we made Fishheads for freedom, damnit. I understand that we have had some pushback from those forced into positions, (Nobody wants to haul for the rest of their lives,

I’ve been talking to Quasar, in fact - while many of us original founders had kindred feelings, being that we were the first.. I have begun to consider him a friend. I haven’t had time to do that.. In a long time. Too much time has been spent in the sweatshop, cooking meals and chopping fish.

I didn’t mind that - I liked it, actually. It’s a respectable trade. It was the repetition, the constant backbreaking labour.

Maybe we deserve rest.

Talking of rest.. A Mason has gone to a mood.

Winter

From reports, it sounds like the horrific beast is gone - I’ve opened up the cavern gates once more.

I’ve almost finished the library.. Perhaps I’ll become a scholar after this Overseer path.

This book is found left for the next overseer - no more notes exist. Given that the Mayor Edem was given back his post.. It seems the last month was spent peacefully.

Right - OOC now,

Let’s begin to say; I had some crap happen that burnt me out the last half, so we have less pictures. Nothing really happened that drove me to want to build off of, so I finished my projects.

We’ve got a large third story workshop area now completely roofed, but with nothing inside - do as you will with it, alongside the prison and the 'throne room'.

I forgot to get pics of it entirely - can do later if folks wish, but I thought I'd get the save out, alongside the journal. Apologies for it shortening in the end, stuff.. happened, and I wanted to finish it without delay.

Here's the save!

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 19, 2021, 04:11:31 am »

Wait, so the web-throwing forgotten beast somehow got itself killed? 'Cause that's a bit surprising, they tend to do very well in combat.
Needs caffeine to get through the working day.
[Sigtext. Contains links to mods, LPs and an index of all the things I wrote on this forum. Does not contain a viable sig. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=49316.msg6860463#msg6860463]
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 17