Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17

Author Topic: Fishheads - A Succession Fishing Village - 47.05  (Read 27803 times)

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fishheads - A Succession Fishing Village - 47.05
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2021, 04:53:10 pm »

... to learn that seeds don't grow on the ocean. FFFFFFFFffffffffffffffffffffffffffffuuuuuuuu-
I've been playing DF for many years now, and this is news to me.  I guess build farms on the shoreline?  But not too close, otherwise the moving tide will likely destroy them.
Yeah, run into that before. If you look at https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Biome_token , you can see how few of the BIOME tokens actually include the ocean, in particular, the most common: NOT_FREEZING, ANY_TEMPERATE, and ANY_TROPICAL, don't get you oceans or lakes, which is annoying.

You might be able to edit the raws of an existing save (or dfhack?) and have newly created seeds grow in an ocean biome?

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2021, 05:08:34 pm »

I've been playing DF for many years now, and this is news to me.  I guess build farms on the shoreline?  But not too close, otherwise the moving tide will likely destroy them.
Or... apparently on some maps there can be a whole different biome few Z-levels above the surface, as found in those cases where there have been evil rain on non-evil maps. A raised, irrigated platform might be worth trying out.
A potential third option I've considered: hives. I've seen honey bee's on the map and, assuming it's possible to grow hives over the ocean, that would give us access to mead. It's only one type of booze and not much of it, but still better than nothing.

Ooooor I could just edit the raws. When in doubt, bend reality to your will.

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2021, 02:26:12 am »

No. NO! I refuse to accept this!

What kind of arbitrary bullshit is "crops won't grow in dried saltwater" anyway? How does that make any sense whatsoever? Salt's a rock! Crushed salt is just white soil! THIS SHOULD FUCKING WORK!

Iteb died for this barge, bless him! I won't let his sacrifice be in vain! I won't! He may have been useless, but NO, GODDAMMIT, HE WASN'T USELESS HE WAS A WOODBURNER! HE BURNT WOOD! WHICH I'M SURE IS A USEFUL THING TO DO UNDER VERY SPECIFIC CIRCUMSTANCES! HE WAS JUST AS WORTHY OF RESPECT AS ANY OF US!

HE WAS A DWARF, AND I AM A DWARF, AND RIGHT NOW OUR ENEMY IS REALITY ITSELF! WELL, DO YOU KNOW WHAT DWARVES DO TO REALITY? DWARVES BEND REALITY INTO FUCKING PRETZELS! FUCK YOU GODS! FUCK YOU UNIVERSE! YOU THINK TO DENY ME MY ARMOK-GIVEN BIRTHRIGHT?!

I AM A DWARF AND I AM GOING TO GROW FUCKING RICE ON THAT FUCKING BARGE AND YOU CAN'T FUCKING STOP ME!!!

For a moment, silence descended on the beach. The waves seemed to slow down to a crawl. The albatross gliding on the thermals above hung still in the air. The dwarves of Fishheads tasted the tang of copper in the air. And then...

The cost was far too great, but at least it worked. We've fallowed the farm plots upon the barge. All that remains now is...

... to plant rice, barley, pendant amaranths and pearl millet in the mud. Once they grow we'll be able to brew them into beer and wine to accompany our seafood.

With this, the pier is siege-proof. In the event of danger we can flee to the water, close the up drawbridge and survive on the bounty of the sea until the enemy gets bored and leaves.

Unless they can swim. Then we're right screwed.

About time you lot fucking noticed...

I hereby I dedicate this the Iteb Zonegul Memorial Barge. Rest in peace you useless asshole.

And so the year ends.

Fortress Overview

Our industry and stockpiles are still primarily centered around the wagon. Some of these workshops can be dismantled now that we have food processing on the pier: others need to be moved.

We've chopped down every tree in the area that doesn't produce brewable fruit or olives for soap, and are starting to rely more and more on chert and sandstone blocks to continue construction, to save the wood for other things.

Beneath the wagon lies the branch mine. The area seems to be rich in minerals, so I have high hopes for a thriving metal industry once more space is made available upon the pier.

The entrance to the pier is raised two meters above the ground atop a pole, with overhangs to prevent climbers from getting any idea's. The bridge beyond the trade depot has space for traps, to kill enemies or knock them into the ocean to drown.

The pier itself has food and drink production and sleeping quarters. It may not be the most industrious of pass-times, but if we must shut ourselves out upon the water during a goblin siege and while away the hours with combat therapy, then we will at least have the means to do so.

The year draws to a close. I have given it a great deal of thought, and have decided: I will pass the responsibility of overseership to someone else come spring.

Power... power is an abominable thing. It leads to unhealthy and corrupt modes of thought, encourages us to pass judgement from on high, sacrificing our fellow dwarves upon the altar of "usefulness". Such is not my place in the world. I should not be on the top. My place is to stand below those in power and relentlessly criticize their every decision from a position of ignorance, exhorting them to do what I want until they either give in to my demands or banish me to the untamed wilds.

I know what I am now. I'm not an overseer, a guildmaster, nor even an expedition leader. I am a fisherdwarf. And, yes, a useless fucking hauler as well.

I should not be in power. I should be making life GODDAMN IMPOSSIBLE for those that are.

Good luck, StrikaAmaru.

Notes for the next overseer:

1. Most of our everything is somewhere in the pile of sundries around the wagon. Once we have enough haulers to move everything things without the food rotting away, we should remove the stockpiles there. In the meantime, I've set the primary foodpile to 'Give To' the stockpiles on the pier.

We have limited space on the pier (construction is an astonishingly slow way to build a fortress), but there's some spare space on the roofs above the dining hall and dormitory if you're looking for somewhere to put things.

2. We're vulnerable to swimmers and flyers. Walls will help against the former, but nothing short of roofing off the entire pier is going to stop flyers. We should probably add a few more dwarves to the fishermilitia and locate a flux layer asap.

3. We are all going to need swim training. I'm certain dwarves will end up in the ocean in this fortress, and drowning is just such a boring and anticlimactic way to die, y'know?

4. Turn off Weather before you start. A rain-induced tantrum spiral would be a crappy way to end the fort.

5. Modification info:

* Phoebus tileset is still installed (via PeridexisErrant's Starter Pack).
* Fishing Expanded v1.1 is installed.
* [BIOME:OCEAN_TROPICAL] tag was been added to a number of crops in plant_crops.txt

Save File

Fishheads - End of Year 1

Happy fishing everyone!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 03:07:57 am by QuQuasar »

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2021, 05:30:23 pm »

Fish is Art,
   and Art is Life,
     thus Life is Fish,
          Amen. ><>

A fine first year, but the pier is small and our colony is growing. I am still picking bits of crab shell from my fists. We are in luck, metal has been found. No word on what foul creatures lurk below.

Finally, the fishing is good, and what else could we wish for? Mokez let it be so!

BluarianKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • Gimme a soul, sailor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2021, 11:37:26 pm »

Toss me turn 6, and dorf the last poor folk Blue.
A beautiful lesbian trans lass, I'll punch ya dork.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2021, 02:13:56 am »

PTW
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2021, 02:30:00 pm »

just checking in - any word from Strika?

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2021, 04:30:36 pm »

No word. I assume she must be busy.

Immortal-D, are you available to take Turn 2 if we don't hear from StrikaAmaru in the next day or so?

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2021, 05:31:08 pm »

No word. I assume she must be busy.

Immortal-D, are you available to take Turn 2 if we don't hear from StrikaAmaru in the next day or so?
Kindof.  I am moving on Saturday April 3, and then again 2 weeks after that.  If anyone else is available immediately, that would be preferable.  Otherwise I'll see what I can get done after my first move (next week).

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2021, 05:50:13 pm »

Next up after that is Staalo, then Salmeuk.

Staalo, are you available to take Turn 2?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 06:12:22 pm by QuQuasar »

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2021, 06:12:40 pm »

I should be free to step up in a day or so if both Strika and Immortal-D are busy. Let's see tomorrow.

EDIT: Downloading the save now.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 01:53:38 am by Staalo »
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2021, 02:18:49 am »

Ah damn, ran into a problem. Wanted to play without a tileset but apparently Phoebus messes the raws so badly that uninstalling it is not possible, at least without replacing them from another installation.

How about I copy vanilla raws from somewhere and just edit QuQuasar's plant mods back in? Is that fine for everyone?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 02:22:28 am by Staalo »

Uhhh... welcome?

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2021, 04:01:00 am »

Ah damn, ran into a problem. Wanted to play without a tileset but apparently Phoebus messes the raws so badly that uninstalling it is not possible, at least without replacing them from another installation.

How about I copy vanilla raws from somewhere and just edit QuQuasar's plant mods back in? Is that fine for everyone?
I think I can get you the save in ASCII. Gimme a moment...

(Edit) Or not. LNP just straight-up annihilates those raws when you change graphics. We shall indeed have to do it manually.

(Edit) Here we go, this should work: https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15488 . ASCII & Phoebus versions of the raws for Fishheads. Use whichever you prefer.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 04:22:28 am by QuQuasar »

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2021, 08:57:38 am »

Excellent, now it's looking like it should. But I think these raws are still missing the plant mods? I can edit those in, was it just BIOME:OCEAN_TROPICAL to some crop plants?

EDIT: Got it, just checked for modified plants in the original save's plant_crops.txt. I believe those were the only changes? 21 plants modded?

Will begin playing now, going to post the first update as soon as I can.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 02:50:05 pm by Staalo »

Uhhh... welcome?

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2021, 04:57:41 pm »

EDIT: Got it, just checked for modified plants in the original save's plant_crops.txt. I believe those were the only changes? 21 plants modded?

Will begin playing now, going to post the first update as soon as I can.

Yep, that's right. Sweet!

Quick reminder to dwarf the last founder, Datan Lunducim, as "Blue". :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17