Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 17

Author Topic: Fishheads - A Succession Fishing Village - 47.05  (Read 28320 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fishheads - A Succession Fishing Village - 47.05
« Reply #75 on: April 16, 2021, 05:31:52 am »

We could build pill boxes and fortified walls like the Germans had at D-day, so it'll be sort of like D-day but backwards. I wonder if we could make landmines without mods?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 16, 2021, 08:09:09 am »

Hey, spreading weapon traps around is always a possibility...
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
  • Developing a race, explosive booze and death traps
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 16, 2021, 12:55:24 pm »

Requesting a dorfing

Speardwarf. What do you mean I'm in the militia? Have none among you heard of spearfishing? How else am I supposed to fish up sea serpents AND win the best beard contest each year, you know the ones we fisherdwarves are always thrown out of in the first round

grumbles I'd have thought a fishing village of all places would understand
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 01:00:51 pm by recon1o6 »
Urist McRecon cancels make exploding booze: Interrupted by bad idea
Urist McRecon cancels bad idea: missing raw files
Urist McRecon cancels add raw files: Interrupted by fortress mode
Urist McRecon cancels play fortress mode: Needs exploding booze
Urist McRecon cancels acquire exploding booze: No materials

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 16, 2021, 06:11:25 pm »

I wonder if we could make landmines without mods?
I believe this works. Not very effective, but they look spectacular when they go off.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 16, 2021, 11:38:13 pm »

Requesting a dorfing

Speardwarf. What do you mean I'm in the militia? Have none among you heard of spearfishing? How else am I supposed to fish up sea serpents AND win the best beard contest each year, you know the ones we fisherdwarves are always thrown out of in the first round

grumbles I'd have thought a fishing village of all places would understand
Welcome to the team.  Be grateful you're joining my squadron post-reforms.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
7 Limestone, year of Armok 204

The Goblins, under cover of Albatross, have sent a raiding party to test our mettle.  I order our military to station near the front gate, but we simply can't close it fast enough.  Salmeuk charges the Goblins before they can regroup, and I hastily order the rest of the squads to follow suit.  He catches the lead scout by surprise and absolutely annihilates it.

Alas, the Goblins are not so dim-witted as we would like to believe, and they quickly rush ahead to gang up on the lone Dwarf.

Salmeuk goes down, spraying blood like a fountain, and heralding the arrival of the full militia.

Spoiler: The Molten Assaults (click to show/hide)

Following my example, we do not let the death of our comrade disturb our mental focus.  We announce to the goblins that we are not bothered by his passing the slightest bit

We have carried the day, and my first order is that a Memorial Slab be built in our front yard, at the sight of the battle.

15 Opal, year of Armok 204

We have enjoyed relative calm since that fateful battle, allowing us to build and regroup.  I have removed all of the important nobles from the military; Blue, Maximum Spin, and Staalo have served us well, but they are simply too important to risk.  I have refilled my squad with the most physically able, including a promising recruit from our third migrant wave this year.

He's reasonably strong for a rookie, and bleeds so slowly that I swear I watched the scars form.  Not much of a runner that one, but a year of plate mail in the sand will see to that.  The moat is fully operational, though the floodgates aren't perfect, it will do for now.  At the very least, we can now drain the moat at will, in order to collect the cage traps we buried in the sand.  The caverns also have a functional gate, separate from the drainage system.  All of the levers have been properly labeled (none of this "Is this for the bridge or the magma cannon?" nonsense on my watch).

As the air turns chilly, a herd of elephants crosses the horizon.  We close the front gate and pay them no heed.  As I make my way to the kitchen, I pass our new cage collection, where critter and foe alike await our wrath.  Our future mascot even has a pit dug out nearby, though that is a project for somebody else.  I am pleased to see that my clothing drive has paid off as well; I pass a new recruit decked out in llama wool, which is obviously perfect beach attire.

I just hope that my efforts here will allow future Overseers to focus on civilizing this place.  We make due with damp dormitories, unorganized workshops, and a dozen or so dining tables for nearly 100 Dwarves.  But with a wall (which admittedly should be more than 1 block tall) and a moat, hopefully in the future I can enjoy the rewards of victory in a proper Great Hall, overlooking the ocean.

~~~~~~~~~~
Man alive, this was a trip.  Feels good to play a Dorf who isn't a complete basket case from the start.  We had a couple of artifacts, including Maximum Spin who created a leather boot.  Some amusing critter fights and mining accidents, but nothing worth mentioning.  The wall should definitely be taller, and I had to repurpose all of the ocean-based bedrooms into a hospital, but we should be relatively safe.  Hopefully we can focus on organizing this mess.  Click Me!

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 17, 2021, 05:56:15 am »

"Ouch, my foot!"

*dying noises*

--

Well, maybe this is for the best, considering it's my turn and I can take plenty of time to find a new pawn.

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 17, 2021, 05:52:38 pm »

Salmeuk charges the Goblins before they can regroup, and I hastily order the rest of the squads to follow suit.
I have removed all of the important nobles from the military; Blue, Maximum Spin, and Staalo have served us well, but they are simply too important to risk.
Oh no, I think I see what's happened now.

"Civilian Squad 1" was never part of the military, it was there to equip non-combatants with light armour and weapons for self-defense. That's why all the the founders and fortress MVP's were in it.

In hindsight I should have definitely labelled that squad "Non-combatants" or something. My bad. Sorry Salmeuk.

On the bright side, we captured your murderer. If you want a bit of post-humous vengeance, she's all yours...

In other good news, most of the redneck torture family were eaten by a dinosaur, so we no longer have to worry quite so much about waking up as a dwarf bone floodgate. There's still one left, though.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 06:13:35 pm by QuQuasar »

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 17, 2021, 06:28:03 pm »

Aww, it got all three original bone carver sickos? I had such great expectations for them.

Ah well, at least Eral the Lost Daughter of Redneck Torture Family is still there to provide entertainment. I'm sure the original three had plenty time to teach her enough to continue... The Work.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 06:31:54 pm by Staalo »
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 18, 2021, 03:51:41 am »

That's sad I was hoping they would do some creepy things, but they died before it happened.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 18, 2021, 05:32:37 pm »

By the way, I also encountered a "nothing to catch" fish-extinction message while I was playing with the save. I thought the more recent versions of Dwarf Fortress had fixed the fish repopulation system, but I guess not for oceans.

Salmeuk, when you download the save, could I get you to use DFHack's "region-pops" command to repopulate the ocean? Just copy-paste this command into the DFHack window:

Code: [Select]
region-pops incr-all FISH 20000

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 19, 2021, 04:38:47 am »

Sure thing, I'll run it now. Update later today. I wonder, how many masons can I run concurrently. . ?

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
  • Developing a race, explosive booze and death traps
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 19, 2021, 05:39:00 am »

i didnt even know there was a df hack command for replenishing fish stocks
Urist McRecon cancels make exploding booze: Interrupted by bad idea
Urist McRecon cancels bad idea: missing raw files
Urist McRecon cancels add raw files: Interrupted by fortress mode
Urist McRecon cancels play fortress mode: Needs exploding booze
Urist McRecon cancels acquire exploding booze: No materials

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 19, 2021, 06:54:40 am »

There’s a DFhack command for everything.

Eevvveeerryyytthiiinngggg
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 19, 2021, 08:33:36 pm »

The surface layout of Fishheads, thus far:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Diary of Salmeuk, Intro to Spring

There are two kinds of dwarves at Fishheads.

The upper class citizens, who live on the clean wooden planks of the dock. They feast on glass furniture, above the pleasant sounds of the crashing waves, and endlessly argue about the best ways to live 'the good life.' The pursuit of happiness is paramount to all!

Then, there are the lowly land-peasants. The remnants of this last year's crop of migrant workers. Confined to filthy hovels amidst the jungle hills, they live aimless lives of contract labor, waiting for the call to jump into action.

They were previously the unskilled and unemployed, but our most recent leader, the taskmaster they call Imic, put these peasants to hard work. Now, they bend low over their looms and spindles, working endlessly to manufacture clothing, under careful watch should one slow down before their allotted meal period. Many haven't seen their families in years, and they aren't allowed to visit the temples on the docks on account of their filthy nature.

They are treated like scum, and some are close to breaking. I would most certainly die, should there be a violent uprising of the peasantry, and I would then no longer be able to enjoy the beauty of stress-gradient-induced migration effects on the elastic instabilities of viscous solutions in a cross-slot flow!

So, amelioration must be made to the population. Nothing so forward as to admit there was any kind of unfairness involved, but an acknowledgment of their sodden conditions, and a promise to do better.

I've seen to it that I, Salmeuk Arrowglaze, legendary mechanic, expert fluid engineer, and amateur beekeeper, would be elected leader for the coming year of 205. Thus, I can begin my project. The New Fish Deal, we'll call it, and we'll promise every dwarf a room, a job, and a fish to eat -  by the end of this year!

---

All I can say is thank god for the moat. But damn, after 3 overseers we still only have like. . 2 completed rooms? And why 6 woodcutters?! I am confused, but shall continue to dig in as the night progresses.

EDIT: I appear to have the issue where the ocean-side farm plots show 'no seeds available for this location.' I DID use the raws you provided earlier in the thread, so perhaps further modification must be done on my end?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 08:49:11 pm by Salmeuk »

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 19, 2021, 09:02:50 pm »

EDIT: I appear to have the issue where the ocean-side farm plots show 'no seeds available for this location.' I DID use the raws you provided earlier in the thread, so perhaps further modification must be done on my end?
Open Dwarf Fortress\saves\Fishheads\raw\objects\plant_crops.txt and check if [BIOME:OCEAN_TROPICAL] exists under rice, barley, etc. If not you'll need to add it, either by copying plant_crops.txt from the raws again or by adding it manually to the relevant crops.

(Edit) My bad, I screwed up. The plant_crops.txt file in the ASCII folder was incorrect. I've fixed it here:

https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15508
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 09:44:22 pm by QuQuasar »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 17