Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17

Author Topic: Fishheads - A Succession Fishing Village - 47.05  (Read 28329 times)

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
Re: Fishheads - A Succession Fishing Village - 47.05
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2021, 12:13:40 pm »

I will be starting tomorrow, and can probably wrap up by end of the week.

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2021, 06:44:41 pm »

Sweet! Phoebus and ASCII raws are here: use whichever you prefer, and remember to turn off weather.

Nice job Staalo. The Swimatorium looks great: it shouldn't be too hard to get everyone up to Adequate swimming skill now, which will prevent any near-shore drownings. From what I understand, so long as there is a water access point within 20 tiles dwarves with adequate skill will be able to rescue themselves, so the occasional ramp down to the water surface will be enough to prevent drownings.

With regards to the peafowlsplosion, I remember installing two nestboxes: one on land just to the left of the wagon/workshops, and a second one in the the dining hall.

Our defenses could definitely use an upgrade now that we're entering year 3. I look forward to seeing what a militiadwarf does with this place.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2021, 08:20:42 am »

"Missing definition fe_FISH_MOUNT" ???  That is both with and without the modified raws.  Been a long long time since I messed with DF modding, so I'm in the dark here.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2021, 01:22:55 pm »

"Missing definition fe_FISH_MOUNT" ???  That is both with and without the modified raws.  Been a long long time since I messed with DF modding, so I'm in the dark here.
Seems to be related to the Fishing Expanded -mod; that error doesn't appear in my save, though.

EDIT: While comparing file by file I noticed some differences compared to the "alternate raws" version; for what it's worth here's the same save with a fix that might solve some problems:

SAVE

« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 01:55:24 pm by Staalo »
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2021, 03:51:28 pm »

Seems to be related to the Fishing Expanded -mod; that error doesn't appear in my save, though.

EDIT: While comparing file by file I noticed some differences compared to the "alternate raws" version; for what it's worth here's the same save with a fix that might solve some problems:

SAVE
No dice.  Did a clean install of LNP and dropped Fishheads in my save folder, then installed Phoebus and applied to save.  Loading the world yields the same error, then crashes.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2021, 05:03:39 pm »

No dice.  Did a clean install of LNP and dropped Fishheads in my save folder, then installed Phoebus and applied to save.  Loading the world yields the same error, then crashes.
So might LNP and/or Phoebus mangle the raws enough so it loses some Fishing Expanded definitions? Not a modder myself but maybe QuQuasar could offer some info how to install the needed mods?
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2021, 05:03:50 pm »

Applying Phoebus to the save with the LNP clobbers the modded raws and resets them to vanilla. I think this should resolve it:

1. Set LNP to Phoebus.
2. Copy Fishheads into Dwarf Fortress\data\save
3. Copy the Phoebus raws from the alternate raws to Dwarf Fortress\data\save\Fishheads\raw

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2021, 05:40:04 pm »

Applying Phoebus to the save with the LNP clobbers the modded raws and resets them to vanilla. I think this should resolve it:

1. Set LNP to Phoebus.
3. Copy the Phoebus raws from the alternate raws to Dwarf Fortress\data\save\Fishheads\raw
The order was important, we're in business.  I personally use Ironhand or Obsidian when possible, but this will do.  Stay tuned!

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2021, 05:58:03 pm »

Sweet! For the record, if you want to switch to a different tileset, you would need to:

1. Set the LNP and Fishheads to that tileset.This will reset the save to vanilla.
2. Install Fishing Extended v1.1 into Fishheads/raw.
3. Add [BIOME: OCEAN_TROPICAL] to the crops in Fishheads/raw/plant_crops.txt. I did all plants with tropical or not_freezing biomes, but in theory you only need to do ones we're actually growing: rice, barley, pearl millet and pendant amaranths.
4.Profit! Those are the only mods.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 05:59:40 pm by QuQuasar »

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 11, 2021, 08:09:20 pm »

1. Set LNP to Phoebus.
The order was important, we're in business.  I personally use Ironhand or Obsidian when possible, but this will do.  Stay tuned!

Looking forward to it! I'm glad this was all figured out, since I use a tileset and would have certainly run into the same issue.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2021, 09:57:34 pm »

Note Sorry about the windows side bar, will be fixed in subsequent posts.  Also, most images can be clicked to view full-sized.

10 Granite, year of Armok 204

Dwarves are drawn to adventure and challenge.  Can't be helped, it's a fact of our biology, just like how Elves are inherently weenies.  Still, in the same way you wouldn't expect a Medical Dwarf to pickup a sword, the skills that make me an exceptional defender are not well suited to the more sensitive issues of leadership.

Work for yourself, earn your own skills.  I just can't understand interacting any other way.  Which probably explains why I need to reverse my previous statement.  I didn't even know the last Overseer had even assigned me squadmates.

Still, I suppose I can't blame anyone for seeking the leadership of a fabulous Dwarfette like myself.  Crew cut, thick of face, and a whistle that can pierce the clouds.  I am, as I've heard the Humans say, 'the hotness'.

Right then, let's see how our Fortress is coming along.  I've been minding my own business, focusing on training.  I'm sure that if checking were in a thing, somebody would have told me.

A quick tour reveals the state of our operation to be... questionable
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Bloody logs (not a figure of speech), a pile of bars overflowing, and freaking hole on top of a poorly installed grate.  One false step, and that whole structure will collapse upon itself.

Oh, and whoever started this fool's errand (cough, QuQuasar) neglected to bring spare clothes for anyone, apparently not realizing that the stresses of salt water and open-air living will shred fabric worse than those Giant Crabs.

If I never again have to look at Staalo's battleaxe swinging free while he chops trees, it can't be soon enough.

*cracks knuckles* I may be a little on edge from the non-stop training (even a fine lady like myself needs some creative downtime), but I can keep it together a bit longer.  Enough to get us some permanent security, that future Overseers might set up proper working conditions for everyone.  I know that rookie recruits who don't get any relaxing time will just be time bombs down the line.  Of course building on the ocean itself is essential, as we must all respect the rules of the Fortress.

BWAHAHAHA.  Oh Armok, I almost got through that with a straight face.  Gods no, the ocean can go screw.  Hmm, well maybe not entirely.  Those hoople heads who dained to call themselves Overseer might get snippy.  Well it's like my Pappy always said, "If you can't ignore the rules, then bend them.  When somebody accuses you of cheating, punch in the face."  If I can't order building further inland, then clearly the solution is bringing the ocean itself to the inland, then nobody can say I broke the rules.  Although, it might be worth my time to organize some clothes-making first.  So many Miners & Tree Slayers, so many holes in garments *shudder*

To be continued!

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2021, 11:37:17 pm »

Quasar lay face down on the raw glass floor grate of the fishing platform, half-covered in peafowl, feeling the nibbling of squid and cuttlefish in his very long beard as he dangled it's double braids in the water. The platform creaked around him. Only loosely connected to the more stable pier, the platform floated on the surface of the water like a barge and rocked gently with the swell.

It had been a good year: calm, peaceful, filled with steady progress and new faces. Fishheads was starting to feel quite crowded, which made Quasar feel more at ease, though he nevertheless kept a wary eye on the new dwarves.

Luckily, that was fairly easy to do. The newer migrants stood out with their flashy, vibrantly coloured clothes unfaded by the seaside sun, while the old hands of Fishheads mostly wore horribly bleached rags, salt-encrusted and mostly rotted away. Quasar was quite proud of the barnacle collection that had started growing on his.

Still, despite his contentment, Quasar couldn't help but feel like something was missing. He hadn't found any of Staalo's actions as overseer this last year particularly objectionable, indeed he'd been quite impressed with the Swimatorium, and that felt wrong somehow. Perhaps he'd grown complacent, what with everyone being happy for him to spend all his time fishing.

Abruptly, something grabbed Quasar's beard and pulled his head smack into the grate. A catch! He grinned and arched his back, then rolled backwards onto his feet, his beard whipping out of the water in a vertical arc and sending an spray of seawater and peafowl high into the air. His catch flew up with it, and then down, falling straight on the smooth and shiny head of Immortal-D, who seemed less than impressed with his beardfishing technique.

"Hi," said Quasar conversationally. The militia commander glared at him as he reached out and retrieved the squid from it's perch, tossing it into a nearby barrel before asking, "What are you doing?"

"Touring the facilities," she said bluntly. She looked him up and down, winced slightly, then turned on her heel with a simple "Carry on" and walking away.

Quasar watched her go with an eyebrow raised in bemusement, then shrugged. "Weird dwarf," he muttered to himself before tripping over a peafowl and faceplanting into the glass floorgrate again.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 03:37:05 am by QuQuasar »

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 12, 2021, 09:54:09 am »

just checking in - any word from Strika?
No word. I assume she must be busy.

Hi. I'd like to apologize for ghosting you all like this -- work is to blame. At the beginning of April, I thought I had finished with a harder task, and I was both less occupied, and occupied with less difficult things. Then the stupid thing started to spawn babies, which completely upended my schedule, and I found myself even busier than before. Haven't gotten on Bay12 except to post what I played in Sil Kodor.

I'm available for the overseer job, as well; just gotta remember to switch from Doylist to Watsonian.
Needs caffeine to get through the working day.
[Sigtext. Contains links to mods, LPs and an index of all the things I wrote on this forum. Does not contain a viable sig. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=49316.msg6860463#msg6860463]

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 12, 2021, 06:36:03 pm »

No worries Strika! DF is, unfortunately, no one's day job except Toady, so no big deal.

neglected bring spare clothes for anyone, apparently not realizing that the stresses of salt water and open-air living will shred fabric worse than those Giant Crabs.

Is that actually a thing? or have you taken narrative leeway? I would love to imagine weather affect clothing degradation but I can't say I've heard that before! This might be the first fortress that genuinely needs to create shell-based armor.

Radipon

• Bay Watcher
  • Soapen Avatar of Vesh
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 12, 2021, 06:59:03 pm »

Outdoor temperature is supposed to affect the rate of clothing decay, but I'm not aware of it being affected by whether its over ocean aside from shifting between temperature strata (warm to scorching, etc).
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17