Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17

Author Topic: Fishheads - A Succession Fishing Village - 47.05  (Read 27798 times)

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fishheads - A Succession Fishing Village - 47.05
« Reply #60 on: April 12, 2021, 07:17:00 pm »

This might be the first fortress that genuinely needs to create shell-based armor.

You might be right there. Bone/Shell armour is more protective and lasts longer than leather, and it's lighter than metal, so it would actually likely be quite useful as civilian attire. And it'd keep our little squadron of bonecarvers busy. Don't want them getting... idea's.

I fully support the hermitcrab initiative. Shell armour for everyone would certainly add to the fortress's sense of identity.

Keep in mind that equipping it can be a little bit finicky, though...

https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Squad#Equipping_Bone_and_Shell_Armor

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 12, 2021, 10:37:36 pm »

I'd forgotten just how long a turn can last when you're both actively playing, and being mindful of pausing to capture screens of interesting stuff.  I'm doing a bit every night, but will likely be finished closer to the end of the week.  In the mean, let's a play a game.  I call it "One of these things is not like the others" (click to enlarge)

Radipon

• Bay Watcher
  • Soapen Avatar of Vesh
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 12, 2021, 11:22:01 pm »

Glorious

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 13, 2021, 12:32:28 am »

SWEET BABY ARMOK YES. I don't even care that the smug bastards are showing me up at my own profession right now, that's amazing.

BTW: You can make crystal glass aquariums from raw crystal glass at the Fish Processing Workshop that came with the Fishing Extended mod. Do not do this, transferring it between cages might actually kill the narwhal. If it's released from it's cage it may re-check the water/air of it's surroundings and suffocate.

It would be safest to just leave it in the willow cage.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 05:03:26 am by QuQuasar »

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 13, 2021, 03:17:48 am »

That's ridiculous! We MUST have it.

though, I wonder.. is it already dead? I seem to recall aquatic creatures would sometimes arrive dead, though still caged.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 13, 2021, 07:12:00 am »

Holy schist. Is that its price or is it just the weight overflowing its column?

Nevertheless, we must have it. We have barrels full of valuable roasts that should cover it. Fishheads needs a mascot!
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Radipon

• Bay Watcher
  • Soapen Avatar of Vesh
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 13, 2021, 12:01:11 pm »

Build the cage. Lever it up. Submerge. Release.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 13, 2021, 10:31:07 pm »

Holy schist. Is that its price or is it just the weight overflowing its column?

Nevertheless, we must have it. We have barrels full of valuable roasts that should cover it. Fishheads needs a mascot!
Agreed.  And that is overflow of the weight.  Money-wise, it was only worth a mere 2,000 Dwarf bucks, but weighs over 10k urists, lol.  Seriously, that poor donkey who carried the thing :'(

SWEET BABY ARMOK YES. I don't even care that the smug bastards are showing me up at my own profession right now, that's amazing.

BTW: You can make crystal glass aquariums from raw crystal glass at the Fish Processing Workshop that came with the Fishing Extended mod. Do not do this, transferring it between cages might actually kill the narwhal. If it's released from it's cage it may re-check the water/air of it's surroundings and suffocate.

It would be safest to just leave it in the willow cage.
Build the cage. Lever it up. Submerge. Release.
Definitely still alive.  I'm hoping that if I build an enclosure near the Depot, we can move it before it air-drowns.  But that project will have to wait.  For now, it's the mascot of our Trade Depot.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
20 Felsite, year of Armok 204

A new wave of migrants brings us to well over 50 Dwarves.  The half-assed dormitories constructed by the previous Overseers were wholly insufficient then, and now the lack of accommodations is actually a serious problem.  On the plus side, we had a visit from the hippies earlier.  Our lead chef 'Blue' has been cooking up writhing piles of sludge that he assures me are edible.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The Elves seemed to agree, and were quite happy to offload their prized catch.  They somehow strapped a sea monster the size of an elephant to their pack animals (oh gods that poor donkey), and now we have this charming critter sitting at the Depot until I can figure out what to do with her.  QuQuasar was unable to meet with the traders, as he was too busy curled up in a corner sobbing and muttering, something about "They want our fish!!".  Weirdo.

Anyways, At the least the Elves seem to have fed her first, she seems content to float in her cage and ignore us, which is fine by me.  Between the lack of clothing, lack of bedrooms, and my own frantic attentions attempting to build us an ocean-based defense, my attention is stretched to the limits.  At the very least, I added some crafting workshops for all of the military Dwarves, and fixed the schedule to provide leisure time.  The effects on morale have been immediate, but I swear to Armok if I have to keep staring at the Farmer's prickle berries while I drink my prickle berry wine, I'm going to puke.  Seriously though, we apparently have a single solitary Clothesmaker in this entire Fortress.  Thankfully the Humans arrived early.  I traded for over 5,000 urists worth of cloth and leather, then told the latest migrant wave to pick up a needle and thread.  We now have 4 Clothier workshops starting to churn out various garments.

Work on the moat proceeds at a good pace.  Even though we are not yet connected to the ocean, the overflow from the waves was stronger than I anticipated.

Drainage will have to be rushed, which means we're going after the Caverns.  We found them in short order, along with their blessing

Our Miners have estimated that this pipe leads all the way down.  Every Dwarf knows that the depths of the world contain wonders & terrors in equal measure.  We must be cautious of course, but for now we can drain the premature moat while we finish working on the connections.

1 Hematite, year of Armok 204

So fast.  It all happened so fast.  The first real test of this Fortress.  Also the second, third, fourth, and quite possibly last.  We'd all become somewhat accustomed to the cries of a semi-drowning weasel that got caught in the moat while it drained.  But then the cries stopped, and we heard a splash like the mountain itself was dropped in the moat, followed by the war-trumpets of legend.

The only reason I had deigned to not butcher the metric crap tonne of stray animals we have lying around is b/c we have over 3,000 urists of meats stuffed with fish, and vice versa.  Small favors I suppose, because I didn't even know we had a War Grizzly.  I gather the militia, and lead the charge.  Shape up lads... we have Elephants in the mist.

Thankfully we took down 2 of them with little effort, this particular herd was not nearly as fearsome as their predecessors.  As a bonus, we now get to enjoy the cries of a semi-drowning elephant while we wait for the moat to clear out.  In celebration, I decide that one of our unsung Heroes could use a little boost.

It's only thanks to his studious records that I realized early on we had less than 200 urists of booze, b/c again, the previous overseers were obsessed with making the local fish populations extinct.  Plus the dining hall could use more decorations.  Just as I turn my attention back to the new farms (I don't care if all we gathered is cotton, so help me you will wear cotton briefs that soak up 20 urists of water and like it!), one of the Miners cries out from the depths.

This was, I kid you not, literally the same moment that the drainage tunnels were opened to the surface.

Half a dozen Dwarves are dead before I can even react.  At least 1 Miner, and several others that had ventured into the Caverns.  The planned cavern hatch covers were only built a yesterday, not even assigned yet.  We're still chopping up elephant bits for a stew, less than a week past.  I've ordered the moat-bridges to be shut.  I don't know exactly how many of us died, nor who may still be down there.  Armok have mercy, this is going to be a rough Summer.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Here is some bonus stuff that didn't make it in.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 10:34:39 pm by Immortal-D »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 14, 2021, 05:03:17 am »

Elephants and a forgotten beast, a truly terrible day for the fortress fishing village.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 14, 2021, 05:02:46 pm »

Hoo boy. This could be bad. 4 militia dwarves with bronze gear and 2 years training vs a forgotten beast. I don't like their odds. I'm hoping the noxious secretions aren't gaseous?

I was going to ask what so many dwarves were doing in the caverns, but then I remembered that you said you'd put everyone on clothing duty. Bloody weavers.

Glad to see a magma pipe, that at least brings our heat source a little closer to the surface.

Don't worry about the elven pack animals, they breed them for this purpose. Thick legs, flat back, hooves the diameter of dinner plates... they're more table than donkey. Brain the size of a walnut.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 14, 2021, 05:13:22 pm »

Might I request a Dorf, and a turn? Provided the Fortress isn't acquisitioned by our unwanted guest as a large and uncomfortable bed.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 05:33:37 pm by Imic »
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 14, 2021, 06:18:24 pm »

I'm fairly certain every great community fort I've been a part of has suffered some violent disaster in the third year, which (in one way or another) greatly influences the later turns. I pray Sal wasn't on cleanup duty. .

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 15, 2021, 11:15:35 pm »

Might I request a Dorf, and a turn? Provided the Fortress isn't acquisitioned by our unwanted guest as a large and uncomfortable bed.
I can do one of these things.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
15 Hematite, year of Armok 204

A decision was needed, and Armok was surely with us.  Early reports indicated that the great Forgotten Beast had been severely injured while battling the numerous Dralthas, Olms, and other assorted critters of the Caverns.  One of the miners who perished also managed to mangle the monster's leg.  I ordered all available militia to attack.  Our resident master chef Blue was first on the scene, with the rest of us following right behind him.  The citizen's attack force surprised the beast while it was busy with a Draltha, and the regular militia soon joined the fray.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I was pleased to see that my instruction these past few years was not in vain.  The ancient triceratops was unable to dislodge us after we clamped onto its' tender bits.  I lead by example of course; bite, stab, win.

We all breathed a great sigh of relief after confirming that it had been unable to use the foul excretions dripping from its' maw.  I order coffins built, and a few slabs, since I'm pretty sure the early drownings were never memorialized.  Life returns to normal as work continues on the great moat, while we slowly expand our bedrooms and critical infrastructure.

15 Galena, year of Armok 204

The rest of Summer passes uneventfully.  The splashing from the ocean is filling our moat faster than it can drain, even with both sides connected.  I order new screw pump parts.  The North end of the moat has a full set of floodgates installed, allowing us to fill or close & drain at will, but the initial East side was too flooded before I realized what was happening.  Hopefully a couple of pumps will be sufficient to drain it and allow the mechanics to finish the control work.  Speaking of which, a fresh migrant wave found us a month ago, but with one silver lining.

She calls herself 'Imic', and she is a Legendary Mechanic who has clearly seen some action in her life.  My kind of Dwarfette, which made witnessing her sleeping rough among a stack of bins all the more painful.  I'm considering digging out another dormitory, as work on the ocean-bedrooms is far too slow.  That kind of project needed to be done early and often, but with most of my attention focused on our defense, there was simply no time to build more than a few.  Still, she's in good spirits for now, and has been churning out masterwork-quality mechanisms for us.

As Summer draws to a close, I have even more good news to report!

Pants! Glorious itchy cotton pants for everybody.  Also itchy cotton shoes, dresses, maybe even some hats.  We will never have to worry about the Summer sun, because our clothing will retain water year-round.  Even as I rejoice at this accomplishment, I receive word that the first pump components are being forged.  With those we can drain the first part of the moat and install safeguards, then block the caverns with wall grates to allow drainage while preventing any more surprises.  I dare say things are looking up as we head into Autumn.  Once all the defenses are in place, future Overseers can focus on transforming this mere fishing village into a Fortress worthy of Dwarves.

5 Limestone, year of Armok 204

Another alarm bell rings out from the atop the wall.  The danger this time not coming from below, but above.  A vile force of darkness has arrived!  I rush to see for myself, and sure enough, an entire flock of winged rodents is descending upon us, intent on stealing our hard-earned fish.  We have faced perils literally every season this year.  Bring it on, nature.  You think a few thieving birds can stop us?

~~~~~~~~~~~
Gods help me when I actually miss the Tower Fortress.  At least that brand of chaos was entirely our own, this is just the world trying to do me in.  The above screenshot was taken at the moment of the announcement.  I let the game run a few more seconds just to see how many were amassing at the map edge.  10 and counting :'(

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 16, 2021, 12:12:01 am »

Wow, I'm impressed. With bronze weapons and limited armour, I expected the... monoceratops? cycloceratops? ... the big fucking dinosaur to eat at least a few more of us.

I guess throwing all the untrained civilians at it alongside the militia paid off. I will never doubt the dwarven murderpile strategy ever again.

Nevertheless, I think I speak for all the untrained labordwarves of Fishheads when I say we would appreciate something slightly more resilient than cotton underwear if you're going to make us fight horrifying abominations from the depths of the world.

(Edit) I've been looking into Fishheads legends mode. The elven empire has an excellent selection of oversized animals in their menagerie, as well as standing populations of fish people (specifically koi men and paradise fish men). Not to spoil anything, but if/when some future overseer builds an enormous multi-z clear glass aquarium for our giant narwhal, I hope they remember to include a way to install other aquatic critters after it's filled...
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 04:31:36 am by QuQuasar »

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 16, 2021, 04:04:00 am »

Wow. An ancient horror with noxious secretions, and these absolute maddwarves just go ahead and bite it to death? Is anyone even hospitalized at the moment?

Looking at the incoming siege force, I'm suddenly thinking crossbowdwarves and archery bunkers aboard The Structure. Or maybe even siege engines. All that nice, flat beachfront for a ballista missile to travel over...
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17